Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's almost like we are living in an alternate reality. A GOP senator pushing for gun control. Geez.
It was a 'senseless tragedy' that pushed gun control over the top in Australia and the UK. We can't let this happen here.
link to story
In the wake of the Charleston shooting, Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) are considering ways to renew their failed push to pass meaningful gun-control legislation.

In separate interviews Tuesday night, at a reception before a ceremony hosted by Sandy Hook families where Toomey was honored, the senators discussed their desire to find a new way forward.

“We want to make sure we have the votes. Pat’s going to have to, and I’ll work with him, to get some of our colleagues on the Republican side,” Manchin said, adding that he hasn’t talked directly to Toomey about a revival.

Manchin specifically mentioned an effort aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of people diagnosed with mental illness.
Though the effort is far from being fully formed, Toomey also said he’s looking for opportunities to reintroduce something related to combating gun violence.

“What I’m trying to figure out is, is there something that could get the support of the 60 votes that we would need in the Senate,” Toomey said. “Joe Manchin was and is a great partner and someone I will continue to work with, and I’m open to exploring what is possible.”

He added that nothing was imminent, “but if we stay at it I think we’ll find a way to make progress.”

If the two senators team up to tackle any facet of gun control, it would mark a significant shift in the political debate nearly a week after nine people were killed at a Bible study group in downtown Charleston, S.C.

more at the link, of course, and it's all bad.

Sam......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Given the diversity of backgrounds of the perpetrators of such crimes as these, the only thing you could do is craft a law that would have prevented THAT person from doing the crime. It would, of course, be useless for the NEXT guy. Nonetheless, the rest of us would still be fettered by a useless law that would not affect the people actually doing the crime.....oh wait....yup....that is where we are NOW!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
It's almost like we are living in an alternate reality. A GOP senator pushing for gun control. Geez.
It was a 'senseless tragedy' that pushed gun control over the top in Australia and the UK. We can't let this happen here.
link to story
In the wake of the Charleston shooting, Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) are considering ways to renew their failed push to pass meaningful gun-control legislation.

In separate interviews Tuesday night, at a reception before a ceremony hosted by Sandy Hook families where Toomey was honored, the senators discussed their desire to find a new way forward.

“We want to make sure we have the votes. Pat’s going to have to, and I’ll work with him, to get some of our colleagues on the Republican side,” Manchin said, adding that he hasn’t talked directly to Toomey about a revival.

Manchin specifically mentioned an effort aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of people diagnosed with mental illness.
Though the effort is far from being fully formed, Toomey also said he’s looking for opportunities to reintroduce something related to combating gun violence.

“What I’m trying to figure out is, is there something that could get the support of the 60 votes that we would need in the Senate,” Toomey said. “Joe Manchin was and is a great partner and someone I will continue to work with, and I’m open to exploring what is possible.”

He added that nothing was imminent, “but if we stay at it I think we’ll find a way to make progress.”

If the two senators team up to tackle any facet of gun control, it would mark a significant shift in the political debate nearly a week after nine people were killed at a Bible study group in downtown Charleston, S.C.

more at the link, of course, and it's all bad.
Very few elected officials really like freedom, unless it's their own. Most of those we have who support freedom only do so because they feel like it is what gets them re-elected or finances their campaigns. The biggest threat I see is through Universal Registration. There are plenty including some here, who support it and it can be convoluted to look like it doesn't actually register us. Then it can be sold through that and under the guise of keeping weapons out of the hands of the mentally unstable. Never mind the fact that it has been repeated time and again that to the enemy, all of us Constitutionalists are to be classified as such.

Appeasers, idiots and outright traitors make me sick. Some will be along shortly to comment on this, no doubt.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
you would think by now, that no one would fall for the 'reasonable gun control' chit. The term is meaningless.

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Almost all of the mass shootings in this country are committed by someone that is or has been treated for a mental illness. Yet the HIPPA laws prevent any kind of sharing of that data. I would not be opposed to tying those mental health records into the instant background check system if it would keep a few mentally disturbed individuals from getting guns. And in addition, make it a crime with really stiff penalties if anyone were to obtain a gun for them.

A simple commonsense measure such as this should not impact the honest gun owner and may help make it more difficult for the mentally disturbed to get firearms.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Almost all of the mass shootings in this country are committed by someone that is or has been treated for a mental illness. Yet the HIPPA laws prevent any kind of sharing of that data. I would not be opposed to tying those mental health records into the instant background check system if it would keep a few mentally disturbed individuals from getting guns. And in addition, make it a crime with really stiff penalties if anyone were to obtain a gun for them.

A simple commonsense measure such as this should not impact the honest gun owner and may help make it more difficult for the mentally disturbed to get firearms.
More wisdom from the state that brought you the politician pushing for this. It is never not so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When all is said and done, the entire matter actually rests in the hands of people who know and see such gutter evil incubating and say nothing. Most times, nobody wants to "rat" somebody out. That needs to change.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TwoTrax

The problem is, I do not trust the people that would be responsible for establishing the "threshold" . The line that establishes the tipping point could well be a problem. The answer to this, would be that the friends and family of individuals that might be prone to this sort of thing, be trusted to police their own. Freedom is not free, and it is not without risk. We simply cannot restrict the rights of the many, to POSSIBLY prevent the crimes of a very, very few. That is the reality. You cannot guarantee safety.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There should not be ANY background checks for gun purchases. Period. Ever.

Punish those that do evil, leave the vast majority of us the hell alone.

Sam......

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
More wisdom from the state that brought you the politician pushing for this. It is never not so.

Toomey is a dud. I cant wait to have the chance to vote against him again in the primary.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I gots news for everybody.

If that black dude hadn't been elected the past two terms, the 2nd Amendment would have been damn near dismantled.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
With the recent traitorous acts from the GOP and passing the trade bills, I put nothing past them. Seems like the GOP has made an about face, not that they were exactly on our side before, but things are blatantly in our face now.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

The only side any politician is on is their own side and to hell with anyone else, the constitution or common sense.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) is not the whole GOP. His effort is going no where just like the rest have done.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Toomy needs to go problem is we seem to be unable to get up a real viable conservative to run against the worthless dud.
Originally Posted by nomad_archer
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Toomey is a dud. I cant wait to have the chance to vote against him again in the primary.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's Okay folks, Toomey and Manchin both get an "A" from the NRA...

Manchin also shoots a bolt rifle, so all is well...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, one of the NRA good guys.

Sam......

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I warned folks Joe Manchin is anti gun.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just more emotional object banning.

Ban guns.

Ban the rebel flag.

Inanimate objects. Does anyone think they will stop anything by this? World has gone insane.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ban politicans,now

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.