Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Daveman
Two questions on this issue:

1. Do you believe that someone convicted of numerous violent felonies should be entitled to own a gun?

2. Do you believe that someone who is medically certified as insane should be allowed to own a gun?

If they are deemed safe enough to walk amongst us in society, they should be deemed safe enough to have the same Constitutional rights as everyone else.

Any argument to the contrary is an indictment of either the justice system, or the mental health profession. Not our 2nd Amendment.

Travis

Perfectly stated.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Punchin' Babies and Kissin' Wives.

'Flave 2016

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Amen!

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Travis, Please don't count me as one. The only gun control I look for is dead center hits!

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"The fatal flaw with your proposal is just how FedGov will define "mental illness". You know that it will be a slippery slope surely exploited by the communists to include seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist/family counselor for ANY reason. Your wife has post-partum depression? Lifetime BAN on gun ownership to include NO guns in her house. I'm not exaggerating because "they" always go to any length to deny gun ownership."

That schidt is already happening in Kommifornia and a couple of other places.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by larrylee
Travis, Please don't count me as one. The only gun control I look for is dead center hits!

I will accept you as my brother.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree. Violent felons should be kept behind bars with no chance of parole.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I kind of liked Karl Rove's comment the other night. You want gun control? Fine, repeal the 2nd Amendment. It's that simple.

Anything else is flummery. Manchin and Toomey have a lot of the fruity custard between their ears, if they think it will get traction.

Anyone want the 2A repealed? Quick show of hands? No? Dang. Guess we don't really want gun control do we?

I remember a cocktail hour about 20 years ago with some DOJ lizard on vacation up in Wisconsin. He spent the first drink telling me how gun control was an experiment we had to go through if we were going to evolve as a nation. I spent most of the second drink explaining why I thought he was a vacuous fascist that had been living inside the Beltway too long.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[quote=Daveman]Two questions on this issue:

1. Do you believe that someone convicted of numerous violent felonies should be entitled to own a gun?

2. Do you believe that someone who is medically certified as insane should be allowed to own a gun?

If they are deemed safe enough to walk amongst us in society, they should be deemed safe enough to have the same Constitutional rights as everyone else.

Any argument to the contrary is an indictment of either the justice system, or the mental health profession. Not our 2nd Amendment.

I cannot agree. The law is very clear that, if you commit a dangerous felony (actually, I believe that federal law says any felony, but for sake of discussion I'm limiting this position to dangerous felonies), you forfeit your rights to: 1. freedom (due to incarceration), 2. voting, and 3. owning a gun. The bad guys know this before they commit the crime, and I have no problem with having them lose a right they knew they were going to lose if they did the bad act. It's their free choice, so they bear the sanction. Look at the recidivism rates - no one would seriously suggest that a dangerous felon is not more likely than Joe Average to commit another violent crime.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Many of you on this site want no gun control, and so would I IF it would work. Problem is it will not. Too many forces against us. So unfortunately compromises are going to have to be made. IF and I do mean IF legislation could be written to keep the nutjobs from getting some guns without effecting the honest gunowner, I could support it.

We already have background checks, in this day of computer technology how hard would it be to throw in the records of mental patients? The question is already asked on the form, why not a means to verify it?

"Those who sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither." — Thomas Jefferson

Simple.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Munchkin/Screwme are back? Say it isn't so.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When you fellas discuss pending Federal gun legislation you give credence to the anti-Second Amendment crowd and their position. We should be demanding they show us where they get their authority to promote their un-constitutional agenda.

There is a mechanism to amend the Constitution. Until that is done or The Second Amendment is repealed, these politicians have not the authority. Unless you do not think that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

Am I to believe that there is anyone here that thinks we should have to ask the Federal Government to allow us to have the kinds of firearms necessary to overthrow said government if it gets too froggy? If not then why allow the discussion? If so, at some point they will regulate the hardness of our snowballs and the range of our slingshots.

Carry on.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Daveman

I cannot agree. The law is very clear that, if you commit a dangerous felony (actually, I believe that federal law says any felony, but for sake of discussion I'm limiting this position to dangerous felonies), you forfeit your rights to: 1. freedom (due to incarceration), 2. voting, and 3. owning a gun. The bad guys know this before they commit the crime, and I have no problem with having them lose a right they knew they were going to lose if they did the bad act. It's their free choice, so they bear the sanction. Look at the recidivism rates - no one would seriously suggest that a dangerous felon is not more likely than Joe Average to commit another violent crime.

The question was what do I believe.

I believe that if a man is deemed safe enough to be in society he should have all his rights restored. Any argument to the contrary is an indictment of the justice system. Not the 2nd Amendment.

Your stance gives credence to the theory that gun control is an effective means of reducing crime.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Captain

There is a mechanism to amend the Constitution. Until that is done or The Second Amendment is repealed, these politicians have not the authority. Unless you do not think that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

Ok Dr. Freedom. We'll stop discussing gun control right away.

Anything else you don't want us to talk about?

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The question was what do I believe.

I believe that if a man is deemed safe enough to be in society he should have all his rights restored. Any argument to the contrary is an indictment of the justice system. Not the 2nd Amendment.

Your stance gives credence to the theory that gun control is an effective means of reducing crime.

Travis

If a criminal wants to kill someone and cannot find a gun he will just use something else. Gun control is just a liberal feel good farce.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Almost all of the mass shootings in this country are committed by someone that is or has been treated for a mental illness. Yet the HIPPA laws prevent any kind of sharing of that data. I would not be opposed to tying those mental health records into the instant background check system if it would keep a few mentally disturbed individuals from getting guns. And in addition, make it a crime with really stiff penalties if anyone were to obtain a gun for them.

A simple commonsense measure such as this should not impact the honest gun owner and may help make it more difficult for the mentally disturbed to get firearms.
The problem is, I do not trust the people that would be responsible for establishing the "threshold" . The line that establishes the tipping point could well be a problem. The answer to this, would be that the friends and family of individuals that might be prone to this sort of thing, be trusted to police their own. Freedom is not free, and it is not without risk. We simply cannot restrict the rights of the many, to POSSIBLY prevent the crimes of a very, very few. That is the reality. You cannot guarantee safety.

It's been my observation that the mentally ill basically contaminate and destroy their own family first. Unfortunately the best a family member can commit to a mental health facility is 3 days and then the affected family member is back out. This time they are pissed off mom and dad had me committed.

The bottom line is the best people to do something about a mentally ill person is family and there is no where to get a long term committal that is effective and will hold the person until some relief can be had or the medicine becomes effective. Once the person is out of a 3 day lockup, they are usually not ready to admit they have a problem and will continue with their meds and give recovery a serious attempt.

The end results are the mentally ill and society don't stand a chance to protect themselves until the person commits a crime and is locked up for longer than 3 days. Unfortunately, it will take another look by the SCOTUS at O'Conner vs Donaldson to see if America can get some relief from a very poorly thought out decision.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Connor_v._Donaldson

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Traitors exist in the GOP just the democraps are.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Ok Dr. Freedom. We'll stop discussing gun control right away.

Anything else you don't want us to talk about?

Travis

I am not adverse to discussing gun rights. First Amendment and all that.
I am suggesting we shut down THEIR argument until such time that they can substantiate just where they are authorized to infringe on our rights. Whereupon the discussion ends right there when they can't. In other words nullify their position by refusing to acknowledge it because it is not built on firm legal ground.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Lizzie Borden used an ax - ax control, anybody?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I am not adverse to discussing gun rights. First Amendment and all that.
I am suggesting we shut down THEIR argument until such time that they can substantiate just where they are authorized to infringe on our rights. Whereupon the discussion ends right there when they can't. In other words nullify their position by refusing to acknowledge it because it is not built on firm legal ground.

Gotcha.

I agree. Shouldn't be any discussion at all.

Unfortunately a solid 50% of this country eats a very steady diet of dumb-fugk and I'm just trying to help them see the light. But as you can see, even on a relatively conservative site, you'll find plenty of proponents of gun control.

Travis

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.