Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Out of state, transplanted yankee pushes to remove the Court House Confederate Soldier Memorial Statue. A black friend told me that topic has been in discussion in local black churches for ages, but the shooting in Charleston is giving it new legs. Being liberals, they won't miss the opportunity to piggyback off the deaths there.
link to article
Amid the national debate over Confederate flags and related symbols comes a push to remove a Confederate soldier memorial next to Alachua County’s administration building.

Mickie Anderson/The Gainesville Sun
The large statue at the intersection of University Avenue and Main Street features a rebel holding the barrel of an upturned gun. It bears the inscription, “In memory of the Confederate dead,” and contains an original Confederate flag and the dates “1861 1865.”

The deaths of nine worshipers at a Charleston, South Carolina, church allegedly at the hands of 21-year-old Dylann Roof earlier this month have sparked debate across the country about Confederate symbols in public places.

One recently formed local group is issuing an online call for the statue’s removal through its Facebook page Remove the Confederate Statue! End White Supremacy and Racist Violence!

The group is organizing a meeting at 5:30 p.m. on July 9 at the administration building to discuss its plans and is urging citizens to attend the County Commission meeting on July 14 at 8:45 a.m. to “finish the job of getting the statue removed.”

Jesse Arost, one of the group’s organizers, wrote on the group’s Facebook page: “While removing a statue doesn’t change anything on the ground for people who face racist oppression in their daily lives, that isn’t a justification for letting a monument stand that is dedicated to those who defended the worst in humanity. It is time for Alachua County to remove this monument to bigotry.”

Contacted by phone Monday, Arost said since moving to Gainesville 11 years ago, he “never felt very happy” about having a Confederate statue so prominently displayed.

County Commissioner Robert “Hutch” Hutchinson linked to the event from his personal Facebook page Saturday afternoon and wrote that he hoped public discussion about the monument would not “mask or over-simplify” less-symbolic issues posed by racism and discrimination.

Those debating on social media over the weekend included some who would take down the statue, those who believe it to be an important reminder of our shared history that should be left alone, and those who want to see it moved to a museum.

Several supported the idea of moving the statue to the Matheson History Museum, which prompted a group of the museum’s staff members to visit the statue Monday morning.

The group, which included Stephanie Pastore, Joanna Grey, Jared Blocker and museum director Peggy Macdonald, quickly concluded that moving the large, heavy statue and obelisk would be a huge logistical challenge.

“How do you even take down something like this without destroying it?” Macdonald asked.

Even if it could be done, the cost of moving the structure would likely be high, they said.

They wondered out loud if creating a “memorial gardens” area where the statue now stands with statues honoring other people or groups might be a suitable alternative and more palatable than simply tearing down history.

“Personally, I think tearing down artifacts is like what the Taliban would do, and I think we’re better than that,” Macdonald said. But she said having a “healthy conversation” about community history is a welcome idea.

The Kirby Smith chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy was granted permission in 1904 to erect the statue — roughly 40 years after the Civil War, when emotions were still so frayed that Independence Day was not celebrated in the Gainesville area, Pastore said. The chapter still exists, but its members could not be reached Monday.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been expecting it here as well, heard nothing yet.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
as my black friend told me, the goal is to have not a single Confederate monument standing, within 5 years.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are spot on and, I note, your avatar is the real CSA national flag.

These fools think the Stars and Bars is "the" Confederate flag, while in fact, it was the Battle Flag.

Good luck in FL as the influx of North East yankees will, over time, change FL to NY south.

Funny how people who leave the North to escape the weather, high taxes and foolish government come to the South and then want to turn it into the place they left.

Notice that no one is advocating tearing down all the Cuban flags in S. FL.

"Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah my boys, hurrah for the bonny blue flag that bears a single star !"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder what will be carved on Stone Mountain after they blast of the current occupants?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wikipedia shows close to 50 U.S. counties, over 1/3 of which are in Texas, plus one in Alaska and another in Nebraska, named in honor of prominent Confederate figures.

No telling how many towns, schools, parks, streets, public buildings and facilities, etc., etc., scattered throughout the country are as well. If they are planning on renaming or tearing down everything even remotely associated with the Confederacy they're about to bite off an awfully big and very likely bitter chaw.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live in central/western Maryland. Virginia is only a few miles away and Gettysburg, PA is only about a 1/2 hour's drive. This whole area was riddled with battles. Matter of fact, where I sit right now as I'm writing this, people died in the Battle of the Monocacy. Everywhere you go around here for a 60 mile radius (or further), there are many Confederate, as well as Union statues commemorating people and units who fought in those places. The reason for these statues is to remember those AMERICANS who fought and died for their cause. THIS is American history and should be held as such.

Now with a new liberal Democrat governor of VA, they are now calling for ALL of the Confederate statues to be taken down. It's as if they are trying to erase history, which they can't.

Now with the flag going away, the history will remain. I hope they feel better, but their problems won't be solved this way.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
So when are the liberals going to start to attack Indian war chiefs and there war bonnets etc. and how about the Mexican flag, they once ruled a lot of this country.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
as my black friend told me, the goal is to have not a single Confederate monument standing, within 5 years.

And with spineless Politicians who's only concern is reelection. This is an achievable goal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
― George Orwell, 1984

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Wonder what will be carved on Stone Mountain after they blast of the current occupants?

don't be surprised when the Soros funded 'activists' decide they have waited long enough, and just set blasting charges to deface or destroy Stone Mountain.
After the event, will they be able to find a prosecuter in Georgia that will take the perps to court?

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, it's become a DAILY occurrence now in the news cycle. It is inexorable, particularly in light of an indifferent and ignorant public, brainwashed through years of all-source democrat/leftist indoctrination through all means of mass-communication (which they OWN). TV, radio, and worst of all the Internet.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There should be a moving tax of 300 k for any liberal Yankees moving to any of the southern states. These SOB's laugh at the south out of one side of their mouth and then go to it willingly to retire or for a fresh start. Make them pay for it

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are many flags and they all mean the right thing to the right people.

I graduated from Wade Hampton High School, which is already under attack. BUT I think the people of SC...black and white will say enough once the flag is removed from the grounds of the Capitol.

Again, I see more flags today than before all the mess started. Big ones flying from the back of pick-ups. Shoppers at Costco and Cabelas. Homes along Wade Hampton Boulevard. This could be the one that starts what we all talk about. It has surely backfired on this proud Southern state.

As for the American Indian of which I was born into. We want nothing from anyone. Just leave us alone!!! Cherokee Nation lives on. Unto These Hills!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Am gonna suggest that broadly pointing your finger at the northern states is only evidence of the same narrow minded thinking--hoping to hit "A" while aiming at "B".

We were sitting at a meeting for expanding a parking lot. Some trees had to be cut and some dirt moved. A woman sitting with a bevy of like-minded chunkers stood up and spoke with a very southern accent, "this has to to stopped right now--the earth and trees are moaning!"

The liberal mind-set is the problem and the large urban populations spawn them. Sit-on-their-ass academics dream this crap up and the dutiful dole crowd receives their stipend to vote their bidding.

If I could find a state free of these asshat progressive evangelists, I'd move tomorrow.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tomk,

https://www.wyomingtourism.org/

Less people in whole state than Detroit (different complexion too)

Only one county (Teton) votes Democrap (rich white guilt), no income tax, no gun laws, better weather than MI., very, very few Obama bumper stickers, if you make a call and get a wrong #, it's probably someone you know.

Bring your guns. Here you can "cling to guns and religion" and be considered normal.

Big diesel pickup and horse required.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
There should be a moving tax of 300 k for any liberal Yankees moving to any of the southern states. These SOB's laugh at the south out of one side of their mouth and then go to it willingly to retire or for a fresh start. Make them pay for it

Yes, and those damned Yankees who move south spend their money and contribute to the economy of wherever they land. Most retired people don't get involved in local politics, so, on the balance, they add a lot more than they take. Most Yankees view themselves as Americans and are indifferent/disinterested in obsessing over a war that ended long before they, their parents, and their grandparents were born. The have no ill-will toward any southerner.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tomk
Am gonna suggest that broadly pointing your finger at the northern states is only evidence of the same narrow minded thinking--hoping to hit "A" while aiming at "B".

We were sitting at a meeting for expanding a parking lot. Some trees had to be cut and some dirt moved. A woman sitting with a bevy of like-minded chunkers stood up and spoke with a very southern accent, "this has to to stopped right now--the earth and trees are moaning!"

The liberal mind-set is the problem and the large urban populations spawn them. Sit-on-their-ass academics dream this crap up and the dutiful dole crowd receives their stipend to vote their bidding.

If I could find a state free of these asshat progressive evangelists, I'd move tomorrow.

You fail to recognize my sarcasm. Only half kidding about the yankee tax grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Yes, and those damned Yankees who move south spend their money and contribute to the economy of wherever they land. Most retired people don't get involved in local politics, so, on the balance, they add a lot more than they take. Most Yankees view themselves as Americans and are indifferent/disinterested in obsessing over a war that ended long before they, their parents, and their grandparents were born. The have no ill-will toward any southerner.

Ever been to Palm Coast Florida ? Its like living in NYC. More younger people are moving to Florida then Older in a lot of instances. WHat do they contribute to the economy ?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well thanks, have spent more time in WY, than any state except MI.

Must be karma...

Another upside is that when driving thru WY with a MI plate, you get the opportunity to meet quite a percentage of the law enforcement officers....

Defend the Constitution
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,046
Posts18,482,225
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.