Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I know that many hunters use Tikka T3s as their backcountry/mountain rifles. Traditionally I have been more of a bowhunter, but I expect to do much more rifle hunting in the future and am looking to expand my rifle "quiver". I want something tough, dependable, durable, etc. It will be hunted rain or shine and bashed through the bush. The Tikka T3 and Sako 85 are what I have concentrated on.

I could afford the Sako, but want to figure out just exactly what I am paying for.

Are the differences primarily cosmetic (e.g. better fit/finish, etc.)? If the Tikka has proven to be just as reliable, tough, dependable, etc. it will be tougher for me to justify spending double.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They are both good dependable guns. The Tikka has more plastic but it's tough stuff.

I think you should handle both and just pick the one that feels best to you.

PS
Look at the scope mounting system of both and what mounts are available.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
They are both good dependable guns. The Tikka has more plastic but it's tough stuff.

PS

+1. The Sako comes in a true, short action if that matters to you. If I were going with a long-action cartridge, I'd save the money difference and buy a "better" scope to put on a Tikka. If I wanted a short action cartridge, I'd go with the Sako just on principle.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My T3 SS 7/08 is going to see some miles this year..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recommend Tikka T3s for a lot of guys but the T3 feels like a disposable Sako.

The Tikka just do not feel as solid as the Sako. If I was planning on using it for a very long time I would buy the Sako.

But, you probably cannot go wrong with the T3.

Pieter

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I know that Steyr rifles were not on the OP's original list.

Not to take away anything from Sakos or Tikkas, having owned a whole bunch of different rifles, you might look at the Steyr Mountain rifle, or Steyr Professional.

[Linked Image]

Top to bottom, Steyr Pro, 7mag, 26" barrel, Steyr Mountain Rifle, 308 Win. 20" barrel, Steyr Pro, 376 Steyr, 20" barrel.

Although butt-ugly,they are shooters,with actions that are slicker than owl schitt, adjustable two stage trigger and LOP, can be had in stainless or blue steel (with Mannox coating), and can be purchased at a great value if one takes a reasonable amount of time looking on the net. IIRC I paid $540 (including shipping) for the 308 Win.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am on about my fourth Tikka and haven't had a bobble with any of them yet. Matter of fact, they have been more trouble free than my 700s and model 70s. by a long wide margin. Has any one had problems with them, other than the fact that they aren't pre 64 Winchesters?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Tikka equals the best return for your money on a hunting rifle.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

PS
Tikka and Sako both have optilock systems available for them but they take different units. Don't judge Tikka's mount system by the "free" ring/base integral unit provided with the rifles. Most with any experience with rifles and scopes toss those in a drawer or the trash and go out and buy Warne's or Talley's. The free rings are more useable if one buys decent screws for them. The ones provided are too soft.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As pointed out, handle both. There's not a whole lot of "feel" difference assuming you're not comparing their $9000 safari to a T# smile. I compared a Finnlight to a T3 recently since those are basically the same model level.

I was surprised that that Sako was CRF, so if that matters to you, go Sako. The stock also had over-molded rubber and some slight upgrades. In my eyes, it was not $800 better, but I'm also a young'n that does not despise composite (mag, bolt shroud, and more i'm sure). I've grown rather fond of Tikkas lately. They just handle/point extremely naturally for me. So much so that I'm selling my Savage that I was planning a build on and scrapping the build so I can get a Tikka.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've not used either of your choices, but the Tikka is good enough for these guys. even though the article says it is a Sako T3 CRT, it is known as a Tikka in the states.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've had two T3's for over 10 years, one 7mag and the other 7-08. If you torque the included rings to 15-17 in/lbs you'll have zero issues with them. If you tighten with a cheater bar, you'll have lot's of issues with them. I've never had a bobble out of mine.

They are no nonsense, boringly accurate, not afraid to drag around, you'll never stare at one and say "ain't she a beauty", hunting rifles.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by K1500
I've not used either of your choices, but the Tikka is good enough for these guys. even though the article says it is a Sako T3 CRT, it is known as a Tikka in the states.
A 308 for Polar bears when we know a .222 works. crazy

Shoulda got them .338's.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
They are no nonsense, boringly accurate, not afraid to drag around, you'll never stare at one and say "ain't she a beauty", hunting rifles.
I do when they shoot groups like this:
[Linked Image]

And they do more than other rifles I've owned.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
As pointed out, handle both. There's not a whole lot of "feel" difference assuming you're not comparing their $9000 safari to a T# smile. I compared a Finnlight to a T3 recently since those are basically the same model level.

I was surprised that that Sako was CRF, so if that matters to you, go Sako. The stock also had over-molded rubber and some slight upgrades. In my eyes, it was not $800 better, but I'm also a young'n that does not despise composite (mag, bolt shroud, and more i'm sure). I've grown rather fond of Tikkas lately. They just handle/point extremely naturally for me. So much so that I'm selling my Savage that I was planning a build on and scrapping the build so I can get a Tikka.

Have had a few Tikkas T3 and a few Sakos and now down to one Sako 75. I can live with a Sako Factory stock, definitely like the action and detachable magazine more as well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
I know that Steyr rifles were not on the OP's original list.

Not to take away anything from Sakos or Tikkas, having owned a whole bunch of different rifles, you might look at the Steyr Mountain rifle, or Steyr Professional.

[Linked Image]

Top to bottom, Steyr Pro, 7mag, 26" barrel, Steyr Mountain Rifle, 308 Win. 20" barrel, Steyr Pro, 376 Steyr, 20" barrel.

Although butt-ugly,they are shooters,with actions that are slicker than owl schitt, adjustable two stage trigger and LOP, can be had in stainless or blue steel (with Mannox coating), and can be purchased at a great value if one takes a reasonable amount of time looking on the net. IIRC I paid $540 (including shipping) for the 308 Win.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

JAPPFT,

GWB

One of the most overlooked rifles of all time

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Out of my small group of hunting buds we have only had two rifles malfunction.One was a tikka t3,the bolt stop went MIA and resulted in a confused moose but otherwise unharmed.lol The other was a gunked up Remington trigger that had the wrong Lube for the severe cold temperatures we had.

Most rifles are fairly reliable if the proper maintenance and pre hunt checks are done

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The sako you will most likely be dragging through the bush in bad weather will be the stainless synthetic which means you are paying $1800 or whatever they go for these days for a barreled action as the plastic stock is worth $50. 85s also have well documented ejection problems so read up on that before you fork over the cash for one. A stainless tikka will cost you a third of that. Put it in a mcmillan and you are g2g. If you are going to spend what a SS 85 costs, have one built on a sucks action for not much more. My .02.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kman
The sako you will most likely be dragging through the bush in bad weather will be the stainless synthetic which means you are paying $1800 or whatever they go for these days for a barreled action as the plastic stock is worth $50. 85s also have well documented ejection problems so read up on that before you fork over the cash for one. A stainless tikka will cost you a third of that. Put it in a mcmillan and you are g2g. If you are going to spend what a SS 85 costs, have one built on a sucks action for not much more. My .02.

Sako 75 and 85 synthetics can be purchased for much less then what you said. 75's can be purchased for little more then a T3. If the plastic stock on the 75 and 85 is worth 50 dollars what is the stock worth on a T3? SS Tikkas are closer to 700+ out the door and putting it in anywhere from 550 -650 dollar Mcmillan stock makes it the same price as a Sako 85.

Keep hearing about these 85 ejection failures but don't know of anyone that has one having any sort of issues.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sakko/Tikka is worthy of any hunter for a lot less money.

Check out the Sako A7 original first version. They are lot lighter than recent models and they are priced the same as a new Tikka T3 SS SL.
I've even found the A7 for $650.00 and a little less.

If you can't find an A7 go for the Tikka T3 SL (Superlight)

Again, the SL and the A7 weigh the same. The SL may advertise less weight but they must be taking out the bolt when they weigh them.

Either way you'll have a 7 lb rifle scoped and ready to go.

I would also change out the recoil pad to a Limbsaver for either.

I have two of each and love them!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,616
Posts18,473,958
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.