Page 30 of 38 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 37 38
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Thanks for posting that JoeBob.

I'm sure someone will chime in it was all about slavery wink

Ya think? Gee, I wonder who it will be (to deny history and fact, as well as logic and consistency, yet again)?

Why do you bastards want to piss me off, again? laugh

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Thanks for posting that JoeBob.

I'm sure someone will chime in it was all about slavery wink

Ya think? Gee, I wonder who it will be (to deny history and fact, as well as logic and consistency, yet again)?

Why do you bastards want to piss me off, again? laugh

It was fine for Texas whistle

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Now, you all quit with the TRUTH. Birdy will get his knickers all in a twist. whistle

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Now, you all quit with the TRUTH. Birdy will get his knickers all in a twist. whistle

Well, you see, it's complicated...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No inconsiderable amount of irony in that statement considering the responses.

Sir, I am just quoting verbatim and entirely in-context from the text you recommended <"shrug">

Anyhoo... the fact of the Northern States freeing their slaves during or shortly after the Revolution was included because it seems most of you guys would like to write out any moral considerations at the time from the equation entirely.

At least all of you guys have been obliged to backpedal and now talk in terms of slavery not being an ONLY cause of secession (as opposed to NOT the cause) while repeatedly and falsely accusing me of stating the same wink

Probably other causes will be addressed later in the book I dunno.

Stay tuned and thanks again for the book reference.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

History often is, except to the simple-minded.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I'm glad you finally admit your short-comings, as NO ONE but you has claimed the War of Northern Aggression was not complicated.

How many threads are you going to f'k up with your idiocy?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I'm glad you finally admit your short-comings, as NO ONE but you has claimed the War of Northern Aggression was not complicated.

I did? Where? (ans: nowhere of course, in fact you yourself just got done ridiculing me for saying history is complicated)

How many threads are you going to f'k up with your idiocy?

OK, I cite a recommended source verbatim and entirely in-context specifically addressing the original topic and I get this?...... geeze, where's an eye-roll emoticon when you need it? grin

But... onwards with the topic...

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sir, I am just quoting verbatim and entirely in-context from the text you recommended <"shrug">

Anyhoo... the fact of the Northern States freeing their slaves during or shortly after the Revolution was included because it seems most of you guys would like to write out any moral considerations at the time from the equation entirely.

At least all of you guys have been obliged to backpedal and now talk in terms of slavery not being an ONLY cause of secession (as opposed to NOT the cause) while repeatedly and falsely accusing me of stating the same wink

Birdwatcher

The North didn't invade because of slavery; that's been a consistent position from those you refuse to grant any credit to at all throughout all of these threads for YEARS.

BTW - Texass seceded from Mexico, in part, because of slavery; something you refuse to admit.

Every single one of the points you've made in support of Texass secession from Mexico can be laid on top of Southern secession from the U.S., as well as the issue of slavery being a cause of Texass secession that you refuse to admit; yet, you support one while opposing the other, even in the face of your own arguments, logic, historical fact, and law.

You remain inconsistent, illogical, counterfactual, and intellectually dishonest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The North didn't invade because of slavery; that's been a consistent position from those you refuse to grant any credit to at all throughout all of these threads for YEARS.

Nope. Never was my position at all.

BTW - Texass seceded from Mexico, in part, because of slavery; something you refuse to admit.

I figure you repeatedly and willfully mispelling "Texas" that way is a miscalculation on your part. Honestly, to me it only makes you look foolish, and doubtless some other folks here find it offensive.

As for the rest, folks can see that other thread (insert eyeroll icon here).

Now, back to the topic please....

Birdwatcher

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nope. Never was my position at all.

Reading comprehension; add it to the list of things that you need to improve upon.

Those that continue to point out your shortcomings on this have been consistent that the North did not invade in order to "free the slaves"; ergo, slavery was not their motive for the war. In concert with that, the Southern states were well within their rights, as protected by the Constitution, to secede. Slavery was, whether you admit it or not, legal in the U.S. at the time and the U.S. had been a slave-nation for nearly a century. The words of Lincoln himself put his agenda on invasion on economics and on an unconstitutional edict to force states to remain in the Union when they had voted to leave.

You continue to state that slavery was the main driver; it could not have been if it were not the reason for the unconstitutional invasion and even more so if six of the eventual 13 Confederate states (and the second four to secede) did so because of the unconstitutional invasion of the original seven states.

I figure you repeatedly and willfully mispelling "Texas" that way is a miscalculation on your part. Honestly, to me it only makes you look foolish, and doubtless some other folks here find it offensive.

As for the rest, folks can see that other thread (insert eyeroll icon here).

Now, back to the topic please....

Birdwatcher

You can't stay on topic. The intentional misspelling counters your intentional obfuscation of fact. When you learn consistency and logic, I'll return the favor by spelling the slave-nation that seceded from Mexico in part due to slavery correctly.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Birdwatcher

The Tindall and Shi book is a good general US History book not a definitive History of or study of the Civil War and its causes.

Big difference between the two.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those that continue to point out your shortcomings on this have been consistent that the North did not invade in order to "free the slaves"; ergo, slavery was not their motive for the war.

I never said it was the main motive, I have always said for the vast majority of those half a million Union men (you guys always try to hang the whole thing on Lincoln, as if he was acting alone instead of with enormous popular support) the motive for war was to "Preserve the Union".

However it would be absurd to discount the effect of the Abolition movement on the politics of both sides.

In concert with that, the Southern states were well within their rights, as protected by the Constitution, to secede.

IIRC an implied right, as in one of those things not specifically enumerated. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Slavery was, whether you admit it or not, legal in the U.S. at the time and the U.S. had been a slave-nation for nearly a century.

Slavery was an evil that blighted everything it touched, including unfortunately the Southern cause, to this very day. You wanna get rid of those Southern flags in public places? All you'd really have to do is publish the Southern Constitution and hang it next to 'em. Fortunately the collective Left ain't that literate.

As for the rest, threatening me about mispelling "Texas"..... grin (sorry)

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Tindall and Shi book is a good general US History book not a definitive History of or study of the Civil War and its causes.

grin

Be prepared to discount/dismiss it a bunch more times then if it turns out its written that way....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those that continue to point out your shortcomings on this have been consistent that the North did not invade in order to "free the slaves"; ergo, slavery was not their motive for the war.

I never said it was the main motive, I have always said for the vast majority of those half a million Union men (you guys always try to hang the whole thing on Lincoln, as if he was acting alone instead of with enormous popular support) the motive for war was to "Preserve the Union".

However it would be absurd to discount the effect of the Abolition movement on the politics of both sides.

In concert with that, the Southern states were well within their rights, as protected by the Constitution, to secede.

IIRC an implied right, as in one of those things not specifically enumerated. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Slavery was, whether you admit it or not, legal in the U.S. at the time and the U.S. had been a slave-nation for nearly a century.

Slavery was an evil that blighted everything it touched, including unfortunately the Southern cause, to this very day. You wanna get rid of those Southern flags in public places? All you'd really have to do is publish the Southern Constitution and hang it next to 'em. Fortunately the collective Left ain't that literate.

As for the rest, threatening me about mispelling "Texas"..... grin (sorry)

Birdwatcher

Yet, you continue to avoid the fact that slavery was Constitutional, it was legal, it was a factor in the Texass secession from Mexico, and there was NO Constitutional or legal authority for Lincoln to force states to remain in a Union. In fact, in support of the Texass secession, you have stated your support for EXACTLY what the Southern states did.

Your inconsistency is staggering.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

grin

Be prepared to discount/dismiss it a bunch more times then if it turns out its written that way....

Remember I have read the book before. In fact every book I have suggested on this entire thread I have read before some of them multiple times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

grin

Remember I have read the book before. In fact every book I have suggested on this entire thread I have read before some of them multiple times.

But, you're not a HS (damned, that's so appropriate) teacher with an agenda, so WTF do you know?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

grin

But, you're not a HS (damned, that's so appropriate) teacher with an agenda, so WTF do you know?

Don't forget a HS teacher that does not teach History too.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wow I missed a lot today!!! But if I'm going to Quemado I have oodles of stuff to get done before I can leave. It's 95 out here. I just finished hanging a 16' gate. Gotta finish some fence now. Taking a breather and drinking a Hamm's!!! (:D).

I can honestly say Ive built a lot of fence; hand dug lots of holes ( they were out of post holes again today at Home Depot), and stretched a lot of wire w/o the assistance of slave or illegal labor! laugh.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hanging gates and stretching fence in 95 degree weather is rough. That is just too damned hot for work like that.

Page 30 of 38 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, anothergun, Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 1,520 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,088
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.