Those that continue to point out your shortcomings on this have been consistent that the North did not invade in order to "free the slaves"; ergo, slavery was not their motive for the war.

I never said it was the main motive, I have always said for the vast majority of those half a million Union men (you guys always try to hang the whole thing on Lincoln, as if he was acting alone instead of with enormous popular support) the motive for war was to "Preserve the Union".

However it would be absurd to discount the effect of the Abolition movement on the politics of both sides.

In concert with that, the Southern states were well within their rights, as protected by the Constitution, to secede.

IIRC an implied right, as in one of those things not specifically enumerated. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Slavery was, whether you admit it or not, legal in the U.S. at the time and the U.S. had been a slave-nation for nearly a century.

Slavery was an evil that blighted everything it touched, including unfortunately the Southern cause, to this very day. You wanna get rid of those Southern flags in public places? All you'd really have to do is publish the Southern Constitution and hang it next to 'em. Fortunately the collective Left ain't that literate.

As for the rest, threatening me about mispelling "Texas"..... grin (sorry)

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744