Pay close attention to the summation on the next page, bitch.

????

This? That thread?

You'll not find a declaration of the justice of the Texian cause there from me.

I wrote...

Ultimately the Alamo came down to this; a refusal to submit to a lone dictator in the person of Santa Anna, beyond that, it gets complicated.

THAT is the story I believe most of us regulars want to be told, as close to the truth as possible.

Birdwatcher

As I stated, a few inside the Alamo were fighting to restore the Constitution of '24, a few were fighting to separate Coahuila and Texas from Mexico (the Coahuila y Texas flag was flown over the Alamo by the defenders) and many, most just in from the US, were fighting for Texas Independence ie. to separate Texas from Mexico. Probab'ly some too were fighting just because they were there when it started.

They ALL were fighting Santa Anna at that particular moment in time.

If I were doing the War over Southern Independence, probab'ly like most every reenactor I know, I'd depict both sides at different time as budget and on-site necessity allowed.

When reenacting Confederate, I'd state the Confederate views as best I knew them. The same is true of the Second Texas War of Independence, actually, as an Irish settler, I could be on either side.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744