Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by HBB
The first step I would suggest is to see how the Civil War fits into the continuum of history. To do this you are going to have to begin with a clear understanding of the events prior to the outbreak of hostilities.

To this end I would suggest using 1861 as a starting date and go back at least 50 years....

HBB,

I don't disagree with your methodology if your intent is to raise awareness or knowledge among academics.

I think to help the general public understand what they think and feel about the Civil War, the most important 50 years is the last 50 years, and how the symbols of the civil War have been used to influence and manipulate peoples emotions for political or financial gain.

Whether Senator X caned Senator Y and when, and whatfor, probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans to a person of 30, 40 or 50 years old today.

It's what Daddy told them, or GrandPappy told them, and understanding where and why GrandPappy heard it, and repeated it is most important.

YMMV,

Sycamore

If you are going to open the eyes of these people they will have to know what really happened and just how complex it was.

If they go back and do their own research and see for themselves and can think at all they will be able to see beyond all that has happened in the last 50 years.

If they can't get to that understanding themselves they will never listen to a fat, old Historian like me.

The study and synthesis of History can be a tough job and its not tied to videos and cell phones which makes it even tougher for the current generation. That is why the knotheads in the public schools are either rewriting or just avoiding History altogether and the far Left is making so much hay.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.