Remember I have read the book before. In fact every book I have suggested on this entire thread I have read before some of them multiple times.

Isn't that a given for book recommendations?

Presumably Tindall and Shi labored long and hard to produce a tome with correct generalizations (if that ain't an oxymoron).

I'm curious why you guys keep trying to write away the 4 billion bale elephant standing in the corner.

If you wouldn't mind taking the time to state the ways in which the following is incorrect? The aforementioned closing sentence of Chapter Six, on the composition of the US Constitution....

But the framers of the Constitution failed in one significant respect. In skirting the issue of slavery so as to cement the new union, they unknowingly allowed tensions over the "peculiar institution" to reach the point where there would be no political solution - only civil war.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744