Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
They would likely have classified Birdwatcher as a Statist or Monarchist (this more so in Europe): One who supports the overarching power of a government to maintain order and protect the rights (either actual or perceived) of the people by force of law or martially.

How so?

Birdwatcher would have fought to preserve the Union, as was the stated objective of the vast majority on the Union side..... nothing more. And like almost everyone today, he could NEVER have fought for a Constitution that enshrined for perpetuity the enslavement of four million Southerners.

As for the rest, you're actually saying an Irish Catholic was a Monarchist.... (OK, there are some that were blush)

My own sentiments on that matter were best stated by a certain fictional Irishman before Little Round Top....

"I'm Kilrain, and I damn all gentlemen."

...to understand this, it helps immensely if one has any familiarity with the old British class system.

Birdwatcher

Sorry Mike, You can't devote your entire life working for the State in one form or other, and claim to be an anarchist or revolutionary.

And Bristoe is the prototype "lazy revolutionary". [here's what y'all oughta be raisin' hell about]

Pretty good fit for Mr. Bear's categories, I'd say.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place