Mostly I'm mortified to find ME the topic of discussion here, but whatever....

I'm Pro-Life, pro gun and pro-environment, pretty much in that order. Dunno of global warming exists or is human caused.

The War Between the States?

Morality sure as heck was important, those people with moral objections were called "abolitionists", and the South collectively despised 'em, feared they would outlaw slavery once the North got more and more control of the House and Senate. And no, being an abolitionist did not mean you wanted to marry 'em, most folks on both side wanted to send free Blacks to Africa.

In the South, you couldn't separate slavery and the economy, slavery WAS the economy; most of their capital and thought essential for the production of cotton and sugar cane. The politics and policy of the South were in the iron grip of the wealthy planter class, including '61-'65.

Lincoln, I find nothing hypocritical yet re: slavery. He said up front that while he didn't like slavery and wanted to limit its spread, he was in the war to preserve the Union, end of story. Ain't read up enough on him yet to form and opinion of any greater nefarious motives.

Other than that, folks here should know that during those years all of MY ancestors were good looking.

OK, if ya ain't got nothing better to do, fire away. Seems sorta pathetic tho...

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744