Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ok. I'll try again. Only the fifth time I've tried to post only to be told there was an occurrence that required a total shut down and reload.

The Chauchat was the first real endeavor in the development of what we know now as the squad assault weapon. The team consisted of a gunner and two asst. gunners. The a gunners were fitted with extra magazines. It was there duty to to watch the big slots in the mags and when ammo was depleted have a fresh one ready. Here was about the only real drawback the french had with the gun. Mags suceptable to mud etc.

The French also put the gunners and a gunners thru a three month course on the guns. Tactics ( walking fire), care and maintenance and shooting. The Americans had 2 weeks training with the guns before heading off to the front. The BIGGEST ISSUE with the guns and the doughboys was withthe guns the Americans tried to convert to 30/06 ctg. Several important parts were left out of the bolt assembly!

When you look at the old photos, as added security, you always see a poilu with his gun in transport case, on his way to front. The doughboys never use the transport case as suggested.

There are several operational Chauchats here locally in our little group of WWI hobbyist. One has recently been transferred to a new owner. I had one for a while, but I no longer have it in my possession. wink. Gone the way of the dodo!

Did you call your Chauchat the same thing the Doughboy's did?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.