No slam on that general American history book (got here already) in general but it states up front that Columbus was 'blinded by his greed for gold' and that he was eventually recalled in chains because his greed and brutality (it uses the word greed three separate times re: Columbus)...

"he grew more greedy for gold and more brutal in his treatment of the people he called Indians. His savagery eventually led the monarchy to have him arrested and returned to Spain in chains."

"Greed?" I woulda thought that in the Fifteenth Century one had damn better have a lucrative return on someone else's investment if they actually fronted you three ships and the crews to man 'em as well as thousands of men and more ships your next three go-rounds.

History back then was not at all kind to commoners who rose to enough national prominence to incite jealousy and make enemies. Hard for me to imagine the Spanish crown had him arrested merely for being brutal to Indians, unless they thought that impeded profits.
But, like I said, this is at the opening of the book and may not reflect the whole.

Birdwatcher

Anyways, might be true as written I guess, sure seems like projecting modern day values on 15th Century people.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 07/06/15.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744