Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Holy cow, WN you got talent. cool

Am I looking at fieldstone barn walls?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Roundoak. But, the curvature of the milk can distorts the image BIG time. Lesson learned.

Yup. Fieldstone, 2 feet thick...warm in winter, cool in summer! We got lots of it around here. AND, that's no bull! grin

Last edited by Whelen Nut; 07/25/15. Reason: added info

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by eyeball
You wasted a lot of feed if you gave them enough keep them wink occupied long enough to have time to milk through two cows.

Did you make sweet or sour cream butter?

No butter made on the farm during my era. For several years we bought butter from the truck driver that picked up our canned milk.

I had a canned milk pick-up route for a couple of years and delivered butter and cheese from the route while loading the cans of milk from the cooling tanks. Like working on our farm, loading milk cans built muscle and character, and probably contributed to my bad back now!!

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Lots of guys here just seem obsessed with teats, don’t know about the stripping part.

Me? I’m not a bad stripper myself

[Linked Image]

....shamelessly as well. grin

What am I looking at?

That’s king salmon strips, almost finished.

In regard to the engineer’s caps that were once quite common on farms, I would imagine that perhaps that was a leftover from the days of steam (which was well before the days of free feed, seed, and implement brand cap giveaways).

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Lots of guys here just seem obsessed with teats, don’t know about the stripping part.

Me? I’m not a bad stripper myself

[Linked Image]

....shamelessly as well. grin

What am I looking at?

That’s king salmon strips, almost finished.

Should have noticed you are in AK. Us city slickers cut them the other way to fit in our little store bought smokers. smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huntsman, what brand is the seperator? My Great Granddad sold McCormick Deering out of his general store. I have one of his salesman samples.

I picked this one up a couple of months ago. [Linked Image]

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Originally Posted by eyeball
You wasted a lot of feed if you gave them enough keep them wink occupied long enough to have time to milk through two cows.

Did you make sweet or sour cream butter?

No butter made on the farm during my era. For several years we bought butter from the truck driver that picked up our canned milk.

I had a canned milk pick-up route for a couple of years and delivered butter and cheese from the route while loading the cans of milk from the cooling tanks. Like working on our farm, loading milk cans built muscle and character, and probably contributed to my bad back now!!

Hauling canned milk would have been a tough job, not only the labor part but navigating the roads winter and spring plus farm roads and barnyards. We had a Ford 8N that we could attach a 3-point platform with sides that we hauled hogs around the farm. If the farm road got to bad we would haul the cans out to the main road to meet the milk truck.

Did your milk truck have a whey tank mounted on the truck box? I don't remember how many days in the week that we took a delivery of whey. We had a livestock water tank with two exit pipes with shutoffs that directed the whey into the troughs of two seperate hog pens.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Huntsman, what brand is the seperator? My Great Granddad sold McCormick Deering out of his general store. I have one of his salesman samples.

I picked this one up a couple of months ago. [Linked Image]

Cool beans, 280Shooter. It looks like the salesman sample I have. It has good detail, the hand crank works and bucket platform swivels.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Spent a lot of time on dairy farms in Northern , Wisconsin. The township had 102 farms at one time , now there are 2.
The best thing raised was rocks. Spent time pickin" rocks on little 7- 20 acre fields, or there-abouts.
I often remind my cousin , he sold the cows 15 years ago, about things like spreadin' $hit with chains on the tractor and - 30 in 3 feet of snow. $hit spreader would freeze up. Barn cleaner would break a link or take a $hit. Silo unloader would crap out. Hauled milk cans to milk house on a sled in the winter and wagon the rest of the year. Before pipelines and bulk tanks of course.
Yeah,
50 years a farmer and never stepped in $hit.
Of course we are on the tall stool when we talk of these memories.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We also had a De Laval separator that we used for more years than care to remember. And I DON'T have any pictures of that miserable thing.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is very cool.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone remember using one of these labor saving devices?

We used it to haul full milk cans from the barn to the milk house and whey cans out back to the pig barn.

[Linked Image]

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
This is a great thread.

I can also say I served my time milking with both DeLaval and Surge milkers. Also have milked by hand more than I care to admit, but feel a little embarrassed lamenting it when I remember my Grandfather was doing it yet in his eighties.

I don't remember what brand our separator was but I remember it had a bell on it to let you know you were turning it fast enough.

Roundoak, what breed of cows are those in the picture?

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nope, very innovative though.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Idared, Guernsey breed.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Idared, Guernsey breed.

Thanks, I thought they were but couldn't tell for sure. My wife grew up milking Guernsey cows in Minnesota but everything around where I grew up in Wisconsin was pretty much Holstein.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Most likely some other fire members were too. grin

My sister came for a visit and we got out the family albums and she pulled out this gem. One of the many chores I did on the family farm.

[Linked Image]

Youse Betcha! Been there and done that!

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Idared
Idared, Guernsey breed.

Thanks, I thought they were but couldn't tell for sure. My wife grew up milking Guernsey cows in Minnesota but everything around where I grew up in Wisconsin was pretty much Holstein.

Guernsey cows gave less milk but higher butterfat than Holsteins.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Neat pics and thread.

The only milking we do is either working a bad bag or a bitch heifer who won't take her calf.

Pain in the ass for sure but it has to be done.

Squeeze chute and rope a leg or you might get the chit kicked outta you!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dairy Farmers as a group are the hardiest working farmers
alive!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,715
Posts18,494,591
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.