Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RWE

I did have a bowel movement the other day, but as of yet, I haven't seen the press release on it.

I took one yesterday that could have a crew assigned to it.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If all the weeping douchebags could wring their tears out of the floormats in their Prius's, they'd likely solve California's drought.

Mean while:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ages-despair-reveal-horror-Zimbabwe.html

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A judge stopped the group releasing the Planned Parenthood videos from showing any more. Said no more videos. Too controversial.

Where's the injunction on this subject? How about other conservative-minded subjects.

Seems we get thrown to the lions while the liberal agenda gets a free ride and added protection.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by White_Bear

Seems we get thrown to the lions ...

pun intended?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A judge stopped the group releasing the Planned Parenthood videos from showing any more. Said no more videos. Too controversial.

Where's the injunction on this subject? How about other conservative-minded subjects.

Seems we get thrown to the lions while the liberal agenda gets a free ride and added protection.

Let another group leak them outside of CA

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Let another group leak them outside of CA

That is almost assuredly what they will do, and should do.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by curdog4570
The question of is lion hunting with a bow a stunt was answered yesterday:

"
How likely is it that an expert archer can kill a lion with a bow using just one arrow?

100%, in seconds."

So you can put that aside for the future. grin

So will a properly placed 22 or a spear. It doesn't mean it's the best way or even smart... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fred Bear killed the Lion King with a Bow grin

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
from the Zim Game Dept via AR this morning:

Originally Posted by Zim GD
We have in the past hour talked to officials at the Zimbabwe parks authority HQ in Harare. As far as they are concerned the client has not intentially done any wrong doing. As far as being a legal hunt, he had complied with all required documentation.

It's the landowner , or shld we say the current occupier of the land,and the professional hunter who was conducting the hunt who are in hot water. For allowing an animal that was not on the 2015 authorized hunting quota for the said property to be killed.

We were advised that investigations are ongoing at this time, and details will be made available in due course.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
from the Zim Game Dept via AR this morning:

Originally Posted by Zim GD
We have in the past hour talked to officials at the Zimbabwe parks authority HQ in Harare. As far as they are concerned the client has not intentially done any wrong doing. As far as being a legal hunt, he had complied with all required documentation.

It's the landowner , or shld we say the current occupier of the land,and the professional hunter who was conducting the hunt who are in hot water. For allowing an animal that was not on the 2015 authorized hunting quota for the said property to be killed.

We were advised that investigations are ongoing at this time, and details will be made available in due course.

The news media will conveniently leave that out of everything

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

::SIGH:::

Originally Posted by jorgeI
I think bow hunting dangerous game with a bow, crossbow, spear, etc. is somewhat of a stung. While there have been countless members of the Big Five and the big bears taken with a bow, including those taken by Fred Bear whom I admire, I just deem it as adding an extra level of risk with a very high price for failure. I don't condemn it, but it's something I would never consider doing. An arrow kill is by blood loss and one of those huge animals can do a LOT of damage before their brains run out of O2.

Anyway, this is from Ivan Carter, a person with impeccable credentials:

CECIL THE LION
I have been bombarded with e mails, calls and texts about cecil the lion , I have seen many of the newsreels and I have spoken to several people who are truly in the know …some of the reporting is atrocious – here are the facts as I see them .

1- The lion was killed in an area where there was no lion on quota , which makes it a poaching incident – period .
2- There was an attempt to destroy the collar – why? This would lead me to believe that Palmer knew the facts – indeed he had a previous poaching conviction involving shooting a bear in an area with no permit.
3- In Zimbabwe it is not illegal to shoot a lion with a collar.
4- The property upon which the hunt took place was land that was involved in the Zimbabwe land redistribution….
5- I have no doubt that the landowner and hunting company and Ph knew exactly what was happening and they are directly involved in this POACHING incident.
6- Had this happened in an area with a valid quota , a 13 year old lion would have indeed been the perfect lion to hunt – beyond breeding , this lion at 13 years old was near the end of his life.

My thoughts…
I do not condone poachers , I ABHOR poaching – there is no difference between an incident like this and a rhino poacher in a national park - I believe that hunting when done within the boundaries of good ethics is the most incredible conservation tool – Incidents like these put a terrible light on hunters in general.

There are a lot of examples not just in Africa but all over the world where hunting and more specifically hunters dollars have funded the preservation , protection and enlarging of wildlife areas to the degree that species and wildlife have thrived. Sadly the emotionally motivated opinions and “politically correct” agendas often get in the way of any meaningful dialogue or solutions. Incidents like this fuel the fire, create a social media storm and paint all hunters in a terrible light – making it all the more difficult for good upstanding hunters to be heard and recognized for the good they do ...

A boundary is a boundary , I have no issue at all with a hunter shooting a lion in a bona fide concession where the lion is on quota – even if it is a named individual – UNLESS THE LAW OR ETHICS DICTATE OTHERWISE –

To all the hunters who are reading this , please know we as a body as a group are under the microscope , there has never been a time in history where its more important to do the right thing all the time, to hunt legally and ethically- to be ready and prepared to explain and educate - in this case I am pleased that this incident is being tried - it was ILLEGAL it was POACHING – that said its being given WAAAAY more coverage than it should be.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The 'outrage' is silly shiet.

That said, I've been around a few different doctors/dentists in hunting environments. They were the most horrific 'sportsmen' and individuals I've ever encountered that shared 'like' interests.

Never understood why attorney's get so much grief. I'd hunt with 1000 attorney's before I'd hunt with another doctor.

Sorta a "blanket statement", don't you think.

But, overreaching is not an uncommon Fire phenomenon.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

::SIGH:::

I think bow hunting dangerous game with a bow, crossbow, spear, etc. is somewhat of a stung. While there have been countless members of the Big Five and the big bears taken with a bow, including those taken by Fred Bear whom I admire, I just deem it as adding an extra level of risk with a very high price for failure. I don't condemn it, but it's something I would never consider doing. An arrow kill is by blood loss and one of those huge animals can do a LOT of damage before their brains run out of O2.

Anyway, this is from Ivan Carter, a person with impeccable credentials:

CECIL THE LION
I have been bombarded with e mails, calls and texts about cecil the lion , I have seen many of the newsreels and I have spoken to several people who are truly in the know …some of the reporting is atrocious – here are the facts as I see them .

1- The lion was killed in an area where there was no lion on quota , which makes it a poaching incident – period .
2- There was an attempt to destroy the collar – why? This would lead me to believe that Palmer knew the facts – indeed he had a previous poaching conviction involving shooting a bear in an area with no permit.
3- In Zimbabwe it is not illegal to shoot a lion with a collar.
4- The property upon which the hunt took place was land that was involved in the Zimbabwe land redistribution….
5- I have no doubt that the landowner and hunting company and Ph knew exactly what was happening and they are directly involved in this POACHING incident.
6- Had this happened in an area with a valid quota , a 13 year old lion would have indeed been the perfect lion to hunt – beyond breeding , this lion at 13 years old was near the end of his life.

My thoughts…
I do not condone poachers , I ABHOR poaching – there is no difference between an incident like this and a rhino poacher in a national park - I believe that hunting when done within the boundaries of good ethics is the most incredible conservation tool – Incidents like these put a terrible light on hunters in general.

There are a lot of examples not just in Africa but all over the world where hunting and more specifically hunters dollars have funded the preservation , protection and enlarging of wildlife areas to the degree that species and wildlife have thrived. Sadly the emotionally motivated opinions and “politically correct” agendas often get in the way of any meaningful dialogue or solutions. Incidents like this fuel the fire, create a social media storm and paint all hunters in a terrible light – making it all the more difficult for good upstanding hunters to be heard and recognized for the good they do ...

A boundary is a boundary , I have no issue at all with a hunter shooting a lion in a bona fide concession where the lion is on quota – even if it is a named individual – UNLESS THE LAW OR ETHICS DICTATE OTHERWISE –

To all the hunters who are reading this , please know we as a body as a group are under the microscope , there has never been a time in history where its more important to do the right thing all the time, to hunt legally and ethically- to be ready and prepared to explain and educate - in this case I am pleased that this incident is being tried - it was ILLEGAL it was POACHING – that said its being given WAAAAY more coverage than it should be.

I didn't say Fred Bear was Sane grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As a dedicated hunter for over 60 years, I believe this dentist/bow-hunter broke the Hunter's Credo by allowing the lion to suffered for 40 LONG hours after being shot with an arrow until it was shot dead with a rifle 40 hours later. Incidentally, "40 hours" is over 1.5 days... a VERY long time to suffer great pain.

By doing so, hunter and/or his PH gave the anti-hunting crowd ALL the "ammunition" they needed to create a "problem"... and it's obvious that is EXACTLY what they're doing.

What was apparently done and what apparently happened in this situation isn't how a true sportsmen/hunters operate.

As to the right or wrong of the hunt, it is apparent that this whole situation is hardly a case of a "fair chase" hunt.

So draw your own conclusions. I have.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I really liked ol' Fred. Ued to visit his museum here in Florida near Gainsville years ago.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I really liked ol' Fred. Ued to visit his museum here in Florida near Gainsville years ago.

Never went to the museum. He was either completely crazy or had nerves of steel to shoot the game he did with a recurved bow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Never went to the museum. He was either completely crazy or had nerves of steel to shoot the game he did with a recurved bow.

Perhaps a bit of both, but he did more for hunting in his lifetime than any of us could ever dream of doing.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 4ager

Perhaps a bit of both, but he did more for hunting in his lifetime than any of us could ever dream of doing.

No Doubt

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just be glad CECIL wasn't a Black Colored Lion, because Black Lives Matter

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4ager

He was good man and is still missed.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,595
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.