Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Fred Bear killed the Lion King with a Bow grin

::SIGH:::

I think bow hunting dangerous game with a bow, crossbow, spear, etc. is somewhat of a stung. While there have been countless members of the Big Five and the big bears taken with a bow, including those taken by Fred Bear whom I admire, I just deem it as adding an extra level of risk with a very high price for failure. I don't condemn it, but it's something I would never consider doing. An arrow kill is by blood loss and one of those huge animals can do a LOT of damage before their brains run out of O2.

Anyway, this is from Ivan Carter, a person with impeccable credentials:

CECIL THE LION
I have been bombarded with e mails, calls and texts about cecil the lion , I have seen many of the newsreels and I have spoken to several people who are truly in the know …some of the reporting is atrocious – here are the facts as I see them .

1- The lion was killed in an area where there was no lion on quota , which makes it a poaching incident – period .
2- There was an attempt to destroy the collar – why? This would lead me to believe that Palmer knew the facts – indeed he had a previous poaching conviction involving shooting a bear in an area with no permit.
3- In Zimbabwe it is not illegal to shoot a lion with a collar.
4- The property upon which the hunt took place was land that was involved in the Zimbabwe land redistribution….
5- I have no doubt that the landowner and hunting company and Ph knew exactly what was happening and they are directly involved in this POACHING incident.
6- Had this happened in an area with a valid quota , a 13 year old lion would have indeed been the perfect lion to hunt – beyond breeding , this lion at 13 years old was near the end of his life.

My thoughts…
I do not condone poachers , I ABHOR poaching – there is no difference between an incident like this and a rhino poacher in a national park - I believe that hunting when done within the boundaries of good ethics is the most incredible conservation tool – Incidents like these put a terrible light on hunters in general.

There are a lot of examples not just in Africa but all over the world where hunting and more specifically hunters dollars have funded the preservation , protection and enlarging of wildlife areas to the degree that species and wildlife have thrived. Sadly the emotionally motivated opinions and “politically correct” agendas often get in the way of any meaningful dialogue or solutions. Incidents like this fuel the fire, create a social media storm and paint all hunters in a terrible light – making it all the more difficult for good upstanding hunters to be heard and recognized for the good they do ...

A boundary is a boundary , I have no issue at all with a hunter shooting a lion in a bona fide concession where the lion is on quota – even if it is a named individual – UNLESS THE LAW OR ETHICS DICTATE OTHERWISE –

To all the hunters who are reading this , please know we as a body as a group are under the microscope , there has never been a time in history where its more important to do the right thing all the time, to hunt legally and ethically- to be ready and prepared to explain and educate - in this case I am pleased that this incident is being tried - it was ILLEGAL it was POACHING – that said its being given WAAAAY more coverage than it should be.

Thanks, Jorge. I haven't had time to do any research on this and my email/facebook are blowing up with folks asking for comments & clarification. I'm not taking any baits from the trollers, but it's good to get some info I can trust.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
The question of is lion hunting with a bow a stunt was answered yesterday:

"
How likely is it that an expert archer can kill a lion with a bow using just one arrow?

100%, in seconds."

So you can put that aside for the future. grin

So will a properly placed 22 or a spear. It doesn't mean it's the best way or even smart... smile

There are plenty of game animals wounded and lost with "proper rifles"

The only shot that will drop an animal at the shot is to brain it, but most hunters don't take that shot as it's a smaller target then the heart lungs.

With a heart lung shot, a modern compound with a good sharp fixed broadhead will do essentially the same tissue disruption to the hear lungs as a small bore with a "premium" bullet or a big bore with a hard cast. So if you consider a 45-70 with cast sufficient, the same goes for a modern bow and arrow.

Shot placement is the issue, and no sporting weapon will make up for a muffed shot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

There are plenty of game animals wounded and lost with "proper rifles"

The only shot that will drop an animal at the shot is to brain it, but most hunters don't take that shot as it's a smaller target then the heart lungs.

With a heart lung shot, a modern compound with a good sharp fixed broadhead will do essentially the same tissue disruption to the hear lungs as a small bore with a "premium" bullet or a big bore with a hard cast. So if you consider a 45-70 with cast sufficient, the same goes for a modern bow and arrow.

Shot placement is the issue, and no sporting weapon will make up for a muffed shot.

That is incorrect.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rockinbbar is correct.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
to name a lion, male or female, is so anthropomorphic. that is, we have humandized a wild animal by assigning it a humanized name.

a wild animal is not an extension of the human condition. their place in the ecosystem is quite different from ours.

so once Jack, Tom, Dick,. or Harry, or Cecil becomes aan animal's name, Katy Bar the door. we have humanized a wild animal, and that's a difficult concept to get to work properly.

but, that's not the whole story. but it is a start. what about albino deer? are they special even if they don't have a human's name assigned to them?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obama has Sic'd the feds on the "Lion Killer" dentist. His life is just beginning to get miserable...

[b][color:#3333FF]Link..![/color][/b]

The Obama administration is probing the killing of Cecil the lion but hasn’t been able to reach Walter Palmer, the Minnesota hunter and dentist who allegedly killed Cecil in Zimbabwe after he and two others lured the beloved lion out of a national park.

“The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is investigating the circumstances surrounding the killing of ‘Cecil the lion.’ That investigation will take us wherever the facts lead,” said Edward Grace, the agency’s deputy chief of law enforcement, in a statement.

“At this point in time, however, multiple efforts to contact Dr. Walter Palmer have been unsuccessful. We ask that Dr. Palmer or his representative contact us immediately,” he added.

The killing and beheading of the popular 13-year-old lion has provoked outrage, widespread publicity, and an explosion of online scorn toward Palmer.

Grace’s statement goes further than yesterday’s Fish & Wildlife Service comment that the agency is “currently gathering facts about the issue and will assist Zimbabwe officials in whatever manner requested.”

Palmer, in a statement to the Minneapolis Star Tribune two days ago, said at the time that he hadn’t yet been contacted by authorities in Zimbabwe or in the U.S. but pledged to “assist them in any inquiries they may have.”

The Associated Press quoted a spokeswoman for Zimbabwean police on Tuesday saying that they are looking for Palmer.

According to the BBC, one of the two men from Zimbabwe who assisted Palmer, Theo Bronkhorst, pled not guilty in a Zimbabwean court Wednesday to the charge of “failing to prevent an unlawful hunt.”

Palmer, whose practice has been shuttered amid the outrage over Cecil’s killing, expressed regret about the killing. “I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt,” he said in his statement.

The confirmation that U.S. authorities want to speak with Palmer comes as several dozen House Democrats, calling Cecil’s death a “reminder of the perils the African lion faces,” are urging the Interior Department to quickly boost protections for the iconic species.

In a letter today to Interior Secretary Sally Jewell, approximately 50 lawmakers will call for the Fish & Wildlife Service to “expeditiously” finalize a rule that lists the lion as “threatened” under the Endangered Species Act, arguing this would improve conservation in several ways.

Here’s how the letter led by Raul Grijalva, the top Democrat on the House Natural Resources Committee, makes the case for the rule:

“First, it would outlaw the trade of African lions or lion parts by people subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, except under limited circumstances. Second, it would require the Fish and Wildlife Service to certify that sport-hunted lion trophies could only be imported into the United States from countries with sound conservation plans that enhance the survival of the species in the wild. Third, it would make the African lion eligible for funding for conservation and recovery efforts under the [Endangered Species Act].”

African lions have declined by almost 50 percent in the last three decades to under 40,000 today, and inhabit just 22 percent of their former range, the letter states.

The FWS issued a draft rule last October, took public comments until late January and is now crafting the final rule. The process “generally” takes about a year, FWS said.

However, those protections would not stop a number of threats.

According to the FWS, the biggest threats facing the lions are loss of habitat, loss of animals they prey upon, and conflict between humans and lions, which is spurred by expansion of human settlements and agriculture into the lions’ natural habitat. With their native prey disappearing, lions end up killing livestock, which leads to “retaliatory” killings.

In a separate letter, Grijalva is asking Natural Resources Committee Chairman Rob Bishop to hold a hearing in September on Grijalva’s bill, which would create a new “Rare Cats and Canids Conservation Fund” at Interior. The bill “would enhance U.S. financial support for international conservation efforts that would protect lions like Cecil, as well as other rare cats and wild dogs with dwindling populations,” his letter states.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The killing and beheading of the popular 13-year-old lion has provoked outrage, widespread publicity, and an explosion of online scorn toward Palmer.

WTF?

They liken him to a terrorist now?

Most animals killed have their heads cut off, but wouldn't be classified as a "beheading".

Warped people.

Obama is an embarrassment... again. Setting his pet monkeys on the guy that has broken no U.S. laws in that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The guy's douche. But the liberals are using this to attack ALL hunters and smear them with the same paintbrush.

Fug the liberal anti-hunters.

Really? A "douche" you say?

I've known Walter for over 20 years and he's my dentist, I'd argue you are DEAD wrong. This story is a complete over reach and I agree with your second point but do not rely on the media outlets view of his character.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cfran
The guy's douche. But the liberals are using this to attack ALL hunters and smear them with the same paintbrush.

I've known Walter for over 20 years and he's my dentist, I'd argue you are DEAD wrong. This story is a complete over reach and I agree with your second point but do not rely on the media outlets view of his character.

Be that as it may, his past record of game violations, and then getting himself into this mess, whether criminally liable or not, has lots of folks wondering about things.

I'm sure he's a good dentist with an excellent rapport.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Doesn't seem to bother the mofo Potus when a christian gets beheaded. [bleep] POS

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As a dedicated hunter for over 60 years, I believe this dentist/bow-hunter broke the Hunter's Credo by allowing the lion to suffered for 40 LONG hours after being shot with an arrow until it was shot dead with a rifle 40 hours later. Incidentally, "40 hours" is over 1.5 days... a VERY long time to suffer great pain.

By doing so, hunter and/or his PH gave the anti-hunting crowd ALL the "ammunition" they needed to create a "problem"... and it's obvious that is EXACTLY what they're doing.

Great post Ron. The only thing I could add is that he put humans in danger by allowing a wounded lion, and one acclimated to people, to get away.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A national phugging uproar over shooting a friggin lion yet....while on the same day....we murdered 3500 children! We've got our priorities so phugged up....we don't even know who/what we are!!

Stuff the sumbeech (the lion) and build a monument to it!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cfran

One more vote for DOUCHE. AND he muffed the shot. Incompetent, previously convicted poaching DOUCHE.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
...his past record of game violations ...

Is there a link to something credible about his past game violations?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

The confirmation that U.S. authorities want to speak with Palmer comes as several dozen House Democrats, calling Cecil’s death a “reminder of the perils the African lion faces,” are urging the Interior Department to quickly boost protections for the iconic species.

Great. It's unfortunate that these idiots don't have far more pressing needs on our turf.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We can harvest for their monetary value, the body parts of innocent children, who experience horrific, agonizing pain as their little bodies are literally ripped asunder in- utero (with the cooperation of their own mothers) without so much as a peep of protest from the public (with the consent and blessing of the courts actually). Yet there is outrage when an old-aged animal is killed (which, in nature would die of disease, starvation or predation anyway). We have utterly lost any sense and perspective of what is right and what is wrong.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U

FWIW, there was already about a 99.99% chance the USFWS was going to list the lion as "threatened" by the Oct 2015 deadline anyway. This will make it 99.999%.

reposting my quote from earlier today>

Originally Posted by Zim Wildlife Dept
We have in the past hour talked to officials at the Zimbabwe parks authority HQ in Harare. As far as they are concerned the client has not intentially done any wrong doing. As far as being a legal hunt, he had complied with all required documentation.

It's the landowner , or shld we say the current occupier of the land,and the professional hunter who was conducting the hunt who are in hot water. For allowing an animal that was not on the 2015 authorized hunting quota for the said property to be killed.

We were advised that investigations are ongoing at this time, and details will be made available in due course.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tjm10025
...his past record of game violations ...

Is there a link to something credible about his past game violations?

I don't know that anything from the press is credible.

But this is out there on him about a 2006 bear hunting violation. Not sure it's a felony like they mention. Who knows?

http://www.inquisitr.com/2291793/wa...lion-has-felony-record-for-killing-bear/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...s-palmer-has-bear-related-felony-n400226

Following the incident, court documents emerged showing Palmer was fined $3,000 and given a year's probation after pleading guilty over the illegal killing of a black bear in Wisconsin in 2006.

The much-loved Zimbabwean lion called "Cecil" pictured in October 2012. Zimbabwe National Parks via AFP - Getty Images, file

Palmer had a permit to hunt bears within a certain area near Phillips, in the north of the state. But on September 1, 2006, he was part of a group of people who killed a black bear 40 miles outside this permitted zone, according to the court documents from April 2008.

Realizing what they had done, the group agreed that "if any authorities were to ask where the bear had been killed, they would say" it was hunted within the correct area, the documents added.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Stuff the sumbeech (the lion) and build a monument to it!!

Can't, I believe they left the lion's share grin of the carcass to rot in the hot African sun.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RobJordan
We can harvest for their monetary value, the body parts of innocent children, who experience horrific, agonizing pain as their little bodies are literally ripped asunder in- utero (with the cooperation of their own mothers) without so much as a peep of protest from the public (with the consent and blessing of the courts actually). Yet there is outrage when an old-aged animal is killed (which, in nature would die of disease, starvation or predation anyway). We have utterly lost any sense and perspective of what is right and what is wrong.

Jordan

try for a little more drama next time...my gawd

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, 13 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.