Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
A few years ago, I had a couple of custom rifles built on actions I owned, both fitted with PacNor Super Match grade barrels. One was a .280, the other a .270 WSM.

The .280 was and is a super shooter, from day one, with various bullets and powders, a consistent .5-.75 MOA shooter and an all around favorite.

The .270 WSM, not so much- if kept very clean, would hover around an inch, but quickly open up to 1.5-2 in. When cleaning this barrel, there are two or three 'sticky' spots, and this was supposed to be a super hand-lapped job. Those spots have gotten worse, and now accuracy is further suffering.

By contrast, I own two Weatherby MkV's, one a .257, the other a .300, both factory barrels, both with great accuracy- in fact, the .257 is probably the most accurate big game caliber I own. A Browning X-Bolt and several Rugers, same story- very accurate with factory barrels.

My options with the .270 are to either rebarrel with another custom make, or simply put on another factory barrel (Weatherby Vanguard). Either way, I'm taking my chances, but the difference in cost is around $300 more for another PacNor. The third option is to simply put it in the gun safe and forget it, but I have too much money invested in the McMillan Edge stock, Timney trigger, etc. for me to just give up on it. My inclination at present is to get a factory barrel screwed on it, and take my chances.
My gunsmith says that he has seen hit-or-miss results with PacNor barrels, and is not a big fan of using them. (He didn't put together either of these rifles).

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Bighorn

The .270 WSM, not so much- if kept very clean, would hover around an inch, but quickly open up to 1.5-2 in. When cleaning this barrel, there are two or three 'sticky' spots, and this was supposed to be a super hand-lapped job. Those spots have gotten worse, and now accuracy is further suffering.

Any thoughts ...

Could you feel these when the barrel was new? If so, that seems like something you could have taken up with PacNor at that time.

B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Nope, barrel was pretty slick when new.
In any event, that ship has sailed- too many years since I bought the barrel.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bartlein barrel replacement, once and done.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
If your talking Krieger, Bartlien,Hart, Rock creek than I think there worth it.........

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
More times than we like to think, it's not the barrel;it's assembly.I've seen a Krieger behave like the OP's 270 WSM until the rifle was torn apart and put together right.

My friends last pac Nor took two tries but they got it right the second time.

Yes, custom barrels are worth the money...assembled correctly.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rost495
Bartlein barrel replacement, once and done.

This^^

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Any barrel maker can have a turd leave the bowl.. I've installed any number of different barrel-makers and have only had two that were turds.

One - Krieger.. Customer just wanted it gone and replaced with a Lilja. Problem solved.

Two - Pac-Nor. They wanted the barrel back for inspection, found something wrong and replaced the barrel and paid me to install it.. Problem solved..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Redneck

Two - Pac-Nor. They wanted the barrel back for inspection, found something wrong and replaced the barrel and paid me to install it.. Problem solved..

That's pretty darn good customer service.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a hankering for something of larger diameter than .277" on the WSM case, you could have it rebored. 'Twould be a bit cheaper than a rebarrel.

IC B3

B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm tired of pouring money into this project. I have decided to pull the barrel, send it back to Pac Nor, which will probably only get me more money out of pocket for shipping, sell the Vanguard action, McMillan Edge stock, Timney trigger, and Talley mounts.

Life's too short to continually deal with these kind of problems, even for a rifle nut.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What makes a custom barrel worth it is getting your gun throated how you want it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Laker's right, right thar.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can also lighten a rifle or make the balance change depending on the contour and length. Match twist rate for intended bullet use.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I'm tired of pouring money into this project. I have decided to pull the barrel, send it back to Pac Nor, which will probably only get me more money out of pocket for shipping, sell the Vanguard action, McMillan Edge stock, Timney trigger, and Talley mounts.

Life's too short to continually deal with these kind of problems, even for a rifle nut.

Smart. If it sucks, dump it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If this is PacNor fault I would be very surprised if they didn't make it right

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
Any barrel maker can have a turd leave the bowl.. I've installed any number of different barrel-makers and have only had two that were turds.

One - Krieger.. Customer just wanted it gone and replaced with a Lilja. Problem solved.

Thanks, Redneck.

That's why I keep saying, pick your barrel in consultation with your smith. He knows which companies are behind in production, which may be operating on past reputation, which will stand behind their products with the least hassle. It's his reputation on the line as much if not more than the barrel maker. And, how that barrel is installed is critical to optimal performance.

Pick the smith, then the barrel...

IMO,

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then there is the guy who buys the take off, re-chambered, trued up proper, shoot as well as the custom tube that replaced it. I've seen some take of factory tubes cut and fitted right that can flat out shoot on par with custom.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never seen a factory tube shoot like a top end custom tube done right.

I have seen factory shoot as well as a custom done sloppily though.

Problem with factory often is how many will you go through before you get the custom quality one.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bushrat
Then there is the guy who buys the take off, re-chambered, trued up proper, shoot as well as the custom tube that replaced it. I've seen some take of factory tubes cut and fitted right that can flat out shoot on par with custom.

+1
I have bought zillions of take off barrels and put them on an actions and shot a group to see what would happen.
Maybe 1/3 or 1/2 the time a Rem700 take off will shoot sub moa with new chamber and threads.
Short fat 6mmPPC benchrest take off barrels with low rounds count can always shoot better than me, but the longest bullet they can shoot is a 65 gr Vmax, with their 14" twist.
After those, most take off barrels are a long shot.
But a brand new select match custom barrel that is factory hand lapped and stress relieved will be sub moa every time.
So, is it worth $300 for barrel insurance?
Depends on how valuable your time is.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.