Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
W E T >>>wet.

Originally Posted by Moby1
If it matters, it will be for 9mm and .38 special.

The handgun will be a new Ruger <*<*.357 Magnum >*>*revolver with an <<extra cylinder for 9 mm>>,..

If anyone has a favourite powder(s) for a 9mm shooting 115 grain bullets or .38 special shooting 125 grain bullets, I would really appreciate your advice.

W E T - reading and comprehension ? ?

You CAN load/shoot 38 special ammo in a 357 Mag! !

H I N T !!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tsk, tsk, tsk:

Someone needs to pay closer attention.

.38 Ballard extra long
.38 Casull
.38 Long Colt
.38 S&W ( Colt +NP ) ( C.I.P. )
.38 S&W ( Colt+NP ) ( SAAMI )
.38 Short Colt
.38 Special ( C.I.P.)
.38 Special ( SAAMI )
.38 Special +P ( SAAMI )
.38 Super Auto ( C.I.P )
.38 Super Auto +P ( SAAMI )
.38 Super Comp
.38 Super TJ+P

9mm Bergman Bayard ( Long )
9 mm Browning Kurz
9mm Browning Long
9mm FAR
9mm FX & CQT
9mm Federal
9mm Largo
9mm Luger ( C.I.P )
9mm Luger ( SAAMI )
9mm Makarov
9mm Mauser
9mm NATO
9mm Steyr
9mm Super Comp.
9mm Swedish rimmed
9mm Win Mag.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 08/13/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
W E T -

The O P 'specified' 357 Mag, 38 SPECIAL and.....
9mm for extra cyl.

I pay attention.

ANY 38 Special ammo will work in 357 don't ya think? Oh nevermind, wasted ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
Tsk, tsk, tsk:

Someone needs to pay closer attention.

.38 Ballard extra long
.38 Casull
.38 Long Colt
.38 S&W ( Colt +NP ) ( C.I.P. )
.38 S&W ( Colt+NP ) ( SAAMI )
.38 Short Colt
.38 Special ( C.I.P.)
.38 Special ( SAAMI )
.38 Special +P ( SAAMI )
.38 Super Auto ( C.I.P )
.38 Super Auto +P ( SAAMI )
.38 Super Comp
.38 Super TJ+P

I remember kicking you in the NUTS non-stop back in the day. Of course your user name was WETIBBE.

You were a [bleep] tool then, you are a [bleep] tool now.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/550219/Searchpage/1/Main/57669/Words/WETIBBE/Search/true/Degradation_of_America_!#Post550219

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ue/VAMINROD_-_goes_to_school.#Post548109

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._special_message_for_the_Loon#Post536533

Last edited by Steelhead; 08/13/15.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No - when I think I makes my head hurt !

.357 Auto Magnum
.357 Herrett
.357 Magnum ( .357 S&W magnum )
.357 Remington Maximum

That particular Ruger Blackhawk convertible does shoot a certain .38 case but not all .38 cases.

However, a .38 Special police revolver won't shoot .357 magnums. The two case lengths are different. The .357 Magnum case won't let the cylinder close.

What I said to the OP was - look out for load data posted on the internet. It may not be your cartridge at all. In fact some powders and loads can blow to gun easily.

Herco is hot stuff. UP there around 35 or so on the burn rate charts.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 08/13/15.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Currently I use a RCBS Uniflow powder measure for reloading for my rifles. Can it also be used effectively for a handgun?

If I recall correctly, the Uniflow came with two drums, one for rifle powder & one for pistol powder. If you do not have the pistol powder drum I am sure RCBS will send you one for a nominal charge.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Someone needs to pay closer attention.....

...that your blather is unwelcome here.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone trying to say that loading pistol ammo is much more technical than rifle ammo hasn't done a whole lot of reloading.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This guy seems like the sort of person who, when asked for the location of the nearest gas station, would go off on a lengthy dissertation about how it's not good for the fuel pump to run under 1/4 tank of gas.

Seems like much of his "experience" comes from reading the introduction section of reloading manuals, and overwhelming himself with extraneous data from Quickload.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I gave up using my adjustable powder measure (RCBS Uniflow) to load pistol ammo a long time ago. I use the RCBS Little Dandy measure, I acquired a complete set of rotors but found that I only used a few so sold the majority of them. I have made several shuttle style measures of my own design which I leave set-up with the bushings for my most often used loads. I have converted my expander dies to powder thru expander design and mount the powderr measure to them using a Hornady Loc-N-Load adapter. That way mounting the measure and changing powder is quick and easy. Finally I have added Sinclair adapters to the measures, this allows changing powder without pouring it from powder measure to conatainer. Anyone that would like to see pics of my set-up can e-mail me at: bobtwiningsbcglobal.net and I will send pics of my set-up. It takes a lot of the tediousness out of the powder measure routine.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
RCBS Little Dandy is the best.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

.357 Auto Magnum
.357 Herrett
.357 Remington Maximum

That particular Ruger Blackhawk convertible does shoot a certain .38 case but not all .38 cases.

However, a .38 Special police revolver won't shoot .357 magnums. The two case lengths are different. The .357 Magnum case won't let the cylinder close.

What I said to the OP was - look out for load data posted on the internet. It may not be your cartridge at all. In fact some powders and loads can blow to gun easily.

I'm willing to learn something new…..please fill us (me) in on which 38 Specials you cited won't fit into the 357 Mag Ruger cylinder. Also, how is Herco 'hot' when is sits after Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, and in front of Blue Dot in terms of relative speed (among the older Hercules flake offerings)? The chamber on the Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible, BTW, is cut for the common (NATO) 9mm (x19 Parabellum)/Luger.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm w/Reloader28, nice and quick and absolutly reliable.- Muddy

M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Once again I would like to thank everyone (well almost everyone) who shared their knowledge and experience with me in regards to reloading for handguns.

JWall , thank you for pointing out to that one individual who keeps infesting the campfire, that his reading and comprehension sucks swampwater. I think I will make use of the ignore button. It's so much easier to read "You are ignoring this user."

With that one exception, this site has been a godsend for me. I have gleaned a lot of knowledge over the last few years. Thank you Rick Bin for providing this forum.

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
RCBS little dandy pistol powder measure. Been using mine for many years. Love it, very accurate.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I can get consistent measurements of 2.7 gr. of IMR 700X (a large flake powder) through my uniflow powder measure. This is the lowest end for the measure with this powder.

My uniflow measure is 20 years old. If you have a newer model, you can get an interchangeable handgun instert (stock item) for pistol charges.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

.357 Auto Magnum
.357 Herrett
.357 Remington Maximum

I'm willing to learn something new…..please fill us (me) in on which 38 Specials you cited won't fit into the 357 Mag Ruger cylinder. Also, how is Herco 'hot' when is sits after Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, and in front of Blue Dot in terms of relative speed (among the older Hercules flake offerings)? The chamber on the Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible, BTW, is cut for the common (NATO) 9mm (x19 Parabellum)/Luger.

Sometimes, being factual is unnecessary exercise...the best answer being...silence.

Even so, all points made are valid and useful.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Klik -

After this first few (2-3) words I QUIT reading all wet's post.

FOR THE RECORD Herco is a 'little' slower burning than Unique AS you pointed out. I also 'used to' use it in 44 Mag, @ 9 gr or so under 240 SWC for a REDUCED load. It was very accurate in the 44 Mag as well and NOT HOT at all.

Thanks for chiming in.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Moby - thank you as well. I've had to be out of town this afternoon and just got back. I was 'going' to post FOR you to not pay attention to 'wet' because he could cause major confusion.

I now can tell that you have more handloading experience than I thot. Great.

I can GARUNTEE' that 6.7 or even 7 grs of Herco is NOT dangerous. IF you damage a 9 mil with 7 grs of Herco--something ELSE is wrong.

I and most of us 'round here' are GLAD and willing to share info and most importantly EXPERIENCE with you/others. I'll be glad to TRY to help anytime.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Moby - thank you as well.

I can GARUNTEE' that 6.7 or even 7 grs of Herco is NOT dangerous. IF you damage a 9 mil with 7 grs of Herco--something ELSE is wrong.
Jerry

CONTEXT of this thread *** ! ! !

7 grs of Herco WITH 115 HP bullets in 9 mm.

Obviously bullet weight is of PRIME importance.

whewww, I feel better qualifying that.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.