OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Quando omni flunkus moritati
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Arctic Oven is twice that price, for what would be a similar size. I don't think it's the same, but it would make a nice 3 man tent for a week long hunt or more. Appears to be a nice 4 season tent.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A friend has either that one or very similar in construction from Cabelas. Has stood up to AK winds so far very well.

Its on our short list to buy for extended camp outs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It does look like a good tent and Cabelas stuff generally performs well. I have a Cabelas XPG tent that has weathered some pretty bad winds.

At 10'x14' and 50# it's a pretty good size and it looks like it would be a compact, lightweight (by comparison) alternative to a wall tent, easier to pack on a horse, and easier to setup. Pair this with a LiteOutdoors stove or a Little Buddy heater and you're set.

It would be great for a Colorado elk hunt with horses or a fly-in hunt in Aklaska. I think I would use all the guy ropes when setting it up just to be sure that it's ready for high winds.

And you can get a 10% discount. The current code is C5AB102015.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fabrics used in the Cabelas vs the AO are not the same I don't believe (based on what I read in the Cabela's description- it's coated versus membrane.) The Cabela's might deserve the term Arctic Sauna by comparison instead. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't see an inner layer of material that will wick away all the moisture and add another layer of insulation.
This might be a good tent but it isn't even in the same league as an Arctic Oven as far as comfort and wicking ability and warmth.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dont 'think it can be close to what the oven offers for winter camping, but for standard camping, I suspect its not a bad option at all. Compared to my buddies tent he uses in moose seaosn. Obviously its not cold then though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by KC
At 10'x14' and 50# it's a pretty good size and it looks like it would be a compact, lightweight (by comparison) alternative to a wall tent, easier to pack on a horse...

No way I'd put a 50 lb tent on a horse. That thing says "snowmobile sled" all over it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
This is something Cabela's does all the time. They'll carry a quality piece of merchandise to see how it sells, then have copies made in China and stop selling the quality merchandise.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just set up my Artic Oven 10 X 10 for the first time bought it used this spring. Older one with a added vestible but its like new with stove and all acc. They are the tent for AK weather.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by kk alaska; 08/12/15.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
This is something Cabela's does all the time. They'll carry a quality piece of merchandise to see how it sells, then have copies made in China and stop selling the quality merchandise.

That sucks. possibly. China makes stuff to teh quality and price requested. IE its not China making it cheap but Cabelas requesting it cheap. Damn shame that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No polypropylene ...it ain't a copy ...it will rain indoors with that setup I believe

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rain can be also related to knowing how to vent a tent and how to fire up the stove!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska
No polypropylene ...it will rain indoors with that setup I believe

atvalaska:

It's obviously a double-wall tent. Condensation should be limited to the rainfly just like any other double-wall tent. Am I missing something here?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
No way I'd put a 50 lb tent on a horse. That thing says "snowmobile sled" all over it.

ironbender:

I generally limit the weight that I put on a horse to 150#. However, it does look like it would also fit neatly on a sled pulled by a snowmobile.

KC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

atvalaska:

It's obviously a double-wall tent. Condensation should be limited to the rainfly just like any other double-wall tent. Am I missing something here?

KC

The 'Oven" uses a micro-fiber, non-woven "fabric" on the inside. That is what they promote as being a significant factor in making these tents as effective as they are. In colder weather, the breathing capability of the inner fabric separates "effective" from the rest. While I've used good REI, Cabelas, and other foreign origin knock-offs, the materials never seem to be chosen to the same specs that the more reputable manufacturers (North Face, Marmot, AK T&T, etc.) use. That said, that Cabelas tent is probably a pretty nice tent, at least into late fall weather.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bender rides Shetland ponies wink

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Bastid! Ya seen me?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by KC

atvalaska:

KC

The 'Oven" uses a micro-fiber, non-woven "fabric" on the inside. That is what they promote as being a significant factor in making these tents as effective as they are. In colder weather, the breathing capability of the inner fabric separates "effective" from the rest. While I've used good REI, Cabelas, and other foreign origin knock-offs, the materials never seem to be chosen to the same specs that the more reputable manufacturers (North Face, Marmot, AK T&T, etc.) use. That said, that Cabelas tent is probably a pretty nice tent, at least into late fall weather.

Totally agree on this. The good cabelas are ok, probably down to zero IMHO, as we've been in them at 10 for sure and no issues that bother us flat landers that are used to(but hate) 100s plus... IE +10 is chilly for us.

It would not be a 4 season tent IMHO.

And if it was much past late fall in AK, I would not trust it much either.... bombshelter or arctic oven for that IMHO.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 3,015 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.