Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The 9mm didn't fail in Miami. The 9mm was a killing shot, he just kept fighting. Morales ended the fight with a .357 mag with 38 spcl +P 158gr lead hollow points IIRC. The FBI didn't want to admit the agents were unprepared for a major gunfight. When the switched the move was to the 9mm with Win. 147gr hollow points. When they didn't expand the FBI complained to Winchester and the reply was, "they are target bullets we developed for the Navy SEALS for their sub sonic ammo, they are not designed to expand". The the 10mm was the dream cartridge. The the 40 S&W. Now it's the 9mm.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 08/26/15.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The 9mm failed to reach the heart on a 6'-1"" 170 pound felon. That's a failure in my book.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
The 9mm didn't fail in Miami. The 9mm was a killing shot, he just kept fighting. Morales ended the fight with a .357 mag with 158gr lead hollow points IIRC. The FBI didn't want to admit the agents were unprepared for a major gunfight. When the switched the move was to the 9mm with Win. 147gr hollow points. When they didn't expand the FBI complained to Winchester and the reply was, "they are target bullets we developed for the Navy SEALS for their sub sonic ammo, they are not designed to expand". The the 10mm was the dream cartridge. The the 40 S&W. Now it's the 9mm.
I thought it was a .38 Special snub nose that stopped the fight.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Yes, and the 9mm aint it. In fact w hardball (which is all we were allowed to use even today, the Guards we have at our bases still use 9mm ball) our guys in the sand were scurrying around for old 45 out of the Crane Indiana arsenal. While it may well be a suitable caliber with modern ammo, the whole reason the FBI went to the 10MM (then downgraded to the 40 S&W aka 10mm "light" because of females) was after the infamous Miami shootout where the agents had 9mm which proved to be a failure. I believe I'l stick to 45 ACP or 357 SIG.
There was a failure of one Winchester Silvertip. And that's questionable since the FBI didn't have any penetration requirements prior to 1986. But it was a very convenient scapegoat for the FBI who kinda had two guys kinda hand them their arses. By today's standards that 115 grain Silvertip in in adequate. But now with modern 124+P and 147's the 9mm routinely out-penetrates the .45 ACP.

The 9mm makes sense for the FBI, but it doesn't mean it makes sense for everyone. I still carry a .45 ACP.

A lot of people keep repeating that the 9 out penetrates the 45, but it is not true. I shoot both and I have teste 124 grain +P against the 220 critical duty and the 9 does not out penetrate the 45 and the 45 leaves a larger diameter hole no question.
Both in wood and steel the 9 did not out penetrate the 45.

Bullets have helped perform better both and the 45 didn't shrink.

Are you using FMJ in both 9mm and .45 acp,

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No, Fmj in either 124 +P jhp XTP in the 9 and 220 critical duty hornady +P in the 45

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In my opinion, not really a lot of real world difference between .38 spl, .40, 9mm, and .45. Kinda like comparing real world difference between .308, 30.06, .270, .243 etc.

A bullet placed in the upper hydraulics will stop someone in a few moments. A round in the head or spine will stop them a lot faster.

My experience is with a .38 spl 158gr SWCHP at about 60 feet to the chest, and a .40 180 grain Gold Dot at 1 foot to the chest. Same result, they died. Neither died appreciably faster.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
thought i might paste in this old post made on May 29, 2014 in the "9mm vs the .45 acp" thread.

a somewhat unusual analogy, but perhaps applicable here:

about 20 years ago a good friend of mine was involved in a head-on collision. there were three other people in the vehicle that he was driving. at the time he weighed about 275 pounds. at the sledgehammer impact, momentum propelled him forward--and though wearing a seat belt, the seat was ripped out of the floor, and he hit the windshield. for some of the occupants, there were life threating injuries involved--if i recall correctly, a broken neck, a punctured heart/aorta, etc.

the rig that drifted into their lane and hit them was a dinky subaru traveling about 50 mph...

whether it's a small car traveling 65 mph, or a several ton dump truck doing 45 mph--either way--there are going to be significant injuries...

both of these self defense handgun rounds are very capable--and each has it's own particular sterling virtues.

yet in my thinking--within the realm of the self defense handgun--velocity disparity is somewhat minimal--and subsequently, there is something about mass/size here that cannot be ignored...

and the end of this post from July 12, 2014 in the "U.S. Military and .45 ACP" thread;

regarding the potential for penetration on car doors--i'll prefer the heavy .45 auto pills with appropriate construction (rather than the 9 mm)...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
One other factor that comes into play is an anti-terrorism focus, where a line officer (or agent) may have to head shoot a suicide bomber, or someone equipped with body armor.

A hit in the brain with a 9mm, or .40 will be about the same, it's just that hit has to be made, and maybe a bit less recoil will assist some shooters in making it.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The 9mm failed to reach the heart on a 6'-1"" 170 pound felon. That's a failure in my book.

^^^This^^^ Speaks volumes to me.

I'll stick with my 45acp or, if I feel the need for more rounds, one of my Glocks in .357 sig or 10mm.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I have never been in a gun fight nor do I want to be. Having said that if I was, I don't think my shooting would be as good as at the range i.e.breathing stance...... Therefore I would opt for a 40, 10, 45, or 357 mag or sig.

If your in the line of work to deal with/watch people, you will realize that there are some huge people out there. Some are just fat, others are well muscled. Some people are like twigs. The 9 might be fine sometimes but I don't think it's the best for every situation.

Right now my 10 is stoked with 125 grain fragmenting ammo.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think it is sad that men have to carry a 9mm just so that females can qualify. PC bullshit if you ask me.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I thought it was a .38 Special snub nose that stopped the fight.

It was a snub 357 with 38 +P lead hollow points. I went back and corrected my post.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^ Speaks volumes to me.

I'll stick with my 45acp or, if I feel the need for more rounds, one of my Glocks in .357 sig or 10mm.

I've personally seen a bonded .223 load (the same load that I shot end to end on several hogs) fail to penetrate to a guy's heart after passing through his left arm.

Stuff happens. And samples of one, or even a few, aren't valid. That's why I give weight to a study that considered an enormous amount of data rather than "well, one time....." stories.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whelennut
I think it is sad that men have to carry a 9mm just so that females can qualify. PC bullshit if you ask me.

I think it's sad that men are so wrapped up in their own machismo that they refuse to carry a "girl's gun".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
It makes sense if you are doing it "for the women"... I just read and talk face to face w guys that were THERE on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan and they tell me the 9 SUCKS. Not to mention JWP's link above.. 9mm is for girls...

And how did it "suck"?

How did the 9mm stack up against .40s and .45s in side by side comparison?

What was the sample size for each caliber?

What loads were they using? Because if they weren't the loads the FBI considered or what I'll carry, I couldn't give a flip less about somebody's "one time at band camp" stories.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blue, I believe you, and yes, it's a great study. And lots of things can happen when a bullet hits flesh and bone, and not all of them are good.

But I've also killed a lot of feral hogs here at the ranch with my Glocks in .357 Sig & 10mm. And more than a few with a .45 out of a 1911. Have yet to have one fail me. That being said, I don't use my 9mm's on hogs. And I prefer the .223 with Winchester's new 64 ? grain hog bullet.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/26/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whelennut
A civilian has different needs than LE.
I can't imagine protecting my life from someone 50 yds away. If somebody is in my house they would be within wrestling distance. Accuracy at 50 yds is not even an issue.
I don't have a radio to call for backup nor do I wear a bullet proof vest.
Rather than shoot a small caliber pistol 15 times
I would rather try to incapacitate them with a .45
with the first shot. The volley fire concept is great on TV I don't want to get involved in that kind of a gun battle.
In Minnesota we are told we need to be a "reluctant participant" otherwise we can go to jail. Most of my time is spent where the risk level is so low that I feel good carrying a J frame. If the situation gets so bad the J frame is not enough, hand me a 12 gauge.

One stop shots, huh?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In other news, there's a new study out that shows a direct correlation between small penises and a reluctance to carry a "9mm girl gun".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
In other news, there's a new study out that shows a direct correlation between small penises and a reluctance to carry a "9mm girl gun".

That's TFF! Sounds like you've got way too much time on your hand! Having fun shooting up all that free ammo every day? wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude I'm busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. But I'm doing what I can, lol.

Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,121
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.