-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 49 1 2 3 4 48 49
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nope nobody knows for sure, although some people seem pretty sure of their position.

perhaps it's just lights out, but I don't think so and certainly hope not.

but I will tell you this, leadership is important, very important, often underrated.

I'm a lot more comfortable being led by someone that no matter how smart they actually are, that they believe in a higher power or purpose than themselves.

one of the great hallmarks of a good leader, again imo, is not only confidence but a certain amount of humility.

that's just my experience of kicking around the planet for 50 some odd years.

and while I'm very aware of the major transgressions of those that say they believe in a higher power and use that to dupe others for their own personal gain

I've often found some of the best of the best are men of a deep and abiding faith.

YMMV and it's okay, I believe also we're each meant to find our own path to happiness and truth.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by CCCC
Mojo: "The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact."
Mojo – a poor assumption and weak position. Seems like you have pumped yourself up too much in an effort to press your views. I am a Christian and not for one second do I – or would I – say a word in trying to convince you or any atheist (or any agnostic) of the existence of God. I know quite a few Christians and believe they act the same.

BTW, your post seems to be aimed at something other than the stated topic.

Come on CCCC, you've tried to convince me before. But considering how it was in this forum, I'd say it was fair, and give you a pass.

Well, thanks for your generous pass I suppose - but am thinking it's not needed. If you can show me a direct quote of my own words as used in any effort simply to convince you that God does exist, I will own it - and will accept your pass. Short of such clear evidence, thanks anyway.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So Atheism is not a monolithic position, there are many variations within it.

Yeah, I'm not much of a philosophical debater, more of a Wheaties or corn flakes guy.

I like to keep things fairly simple for my simple brain.

I suppose I could break down the molecular difference between Wheaties and corn flakes, but I have no interest in it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What is clear evidence?
Mojo: "The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact."
Mojo – a poor assumption and weak position. Seems like you have pumped yourself up too much in an effort to press your views. I am a Christian and not for one second do I – or would I – say a word in trying to convince you or any atheist (or any agnostic) of the existence of God. I know quite a few Christians and believe they act the same.

Come on CCCC, you've tried to convince me before. But considering how it was in this forum, I'd say it was fair, and give you a pass.

Well, thanks for your generous pass I suppose - but am thinking it's not needed. If you can show me a direct quote of my own words as used in any effort simply to convince you that God does exist, I will own it - and will accept your pass. Short of such clear evidence, thanks anyway.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey Ghost,keeping things simple is best.Atheism is not a religion in itself.Most Atheist believe in evolution which is a belief system (read as faith).They are not honest with themselves.They talk as though its fact and they know its not, its just what they believe in(have faith in).
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
So Atheism is not a monolithic position, there are many variations within it.

Yeah, I'm not much of a philosophical debater, more of a Wheaties or corn flakes guy.

I like to keep things fairly simple for my simple brain.

I suppose I could break down the molecular difference between Wheaties and corn flakes, but I have no interest in it.

Last edited by jdm953; 08/26/15.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Agnostics are the most honest people.

They don't know, and neither does anybody else.

Agnosticism is a question of knowledge, atheism is a question of belief. Knowledge and belief are two separate things.

Technically a agnostic is someone who states they do not know a god or gods exist. If they believed any god had met their burden of proof, they would no longer be an agnostic. As a result, agnostics are technically atheist as well.

Bingo and it does apply to religion alone.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some Atheists seem to be just as passionate about their Atheistic beliefs as others are about their Christian beliefs. They zealously defend their Atheistic beliefs, as others zealously defend their Christian beliefs. Christians cannot prove God's existence, and Atheists cannot dis-prove God's existence.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This
Originally Posted by antlers
Some Atheists seem to be just as passionate about their Atheistic beliefs as others are about their Christian beliefs. They zealously defend their Atheistic beliefs, as others zealously defend their Christian beliefs. Christians cannot prove God's existence, and Atheists cannot dis-prove God's existence.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You don't remember going 100+ posts with me during one of these discussions?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I think in many instances it's not being passionate about being an atheist, it's being tired of being told who/what/when/where by Christians.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men. Because that which may be known of God is manifest in man; for God hath shewed it unto them.

The invisible things of God from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that man is without excuse:

Because that, when man knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were they thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Ray
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ironically, it's the Christians currently being told who/what/when/where by Government.

Originally Posted by Steelhead

I think in many instances it's not being passionate about being an atheist, it's being tired of being told who/what/when/where by Christians.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are Atheists more honest than Christians?

How could atheists possibly be more honest......when they don't know the TRUTH?

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand

One, because it is a matter of pure 'faith' (belief without or in the face of facts) how do you regard your version as any better or 'truer' than another's?

Two, (and this is the big, important one for me) how does your 'faith' then make you a better person? Because most Religious people I've met end up using their beliefs to judge others and make themselves feel superior--sometimes 'innocently' and often maliciously.

In the end, both atheists and Christians have the same evidence for God/gods...none. The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact. The atheists chooses no belief and doesn't try to convince you of anything.

Who's more honest?"

So, if a Christian has faith and tries to tell you about it, are they being dishonest? Or is it only when they try to convince you of it are they being dishonest.

Does it mean that when you start up the discussion about Christianity being dishonest, whereby you pretty much prompt people to argue why they believe, subsequently you classify them as trying to convince you of their position, and further you classify them, by your logic, as being dishonest, that in the long run, you're just being a disingenuous troll?

Circular arguments go both ways.

No bullshit.

By the way, faith doesn't make me better. It just makes me, me.

If for some reason you feel that faith makes a person better - that's your problem?

As for the rest of your innuendo, i.e. "Because most Religious people I've met end up using their beliefs to judge others and make themselves feel superior--sometimes 'innocently' and often maliciously.", sorry you met those folks. It's obvious that they guide your opinion. Kind of sad really.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Answer the question of '...Who, what, where, did/does the concept of honest/dis-honest, right/wrong, or truth/lie originate with/from?...' and you will be more able to answer your question....IMHO

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Anyone that believes all this (as far as we can see) was NOT created......requires much more faith than Christianity.

It all this has 'always been', don't you thoughtful and kind evolutionists have to believe a superior being would have 'evolved' in all these trillions of years?

Infinity in time and space requires that every possible combination of everything, has already happened, an infinite number of times.

Last edited by MIKEWERNER; 08/26/15. Reason: Edited for Snyper's hurt feelings

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It all this has 'always been', don't you genius evolutionists have to believe a superior being would have 'evolved' in all these trillions of years?

If it was "created" why are things still so screwed up?

You're just one more example of a "Christian" trying to claim your beliefs are superior, and anyone who doesn't agree isn't as smart as you.

Thanks for proving the OP's point

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snyper
It all this has 'always been', don't you genius evolutionists have to believe a superior being would have 'evolved' in all these trillions of years?

If it was "created" why are things still so screwed up?

You're just one more example of a "Christian" trying to claim your beliefs are superior, and anyone who doesn't agree isn't as smart as you.

Thanks for proving the OP's point

Screwed up?

There's nothing illegal going on here.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Reminds me of the joke... a bible thumper and an athiest walked into a bar...

Kent

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Reminds me of the joke... a bible thumper and an athiest walked into a bar...

Kent

Is that the one where the Bible guy hits his head and says "ouch", but the athiest hits his head and yells, "God Dammit!"

I always liked that one...

Page 2 of 49 1 2 3 4 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 42 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.