-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sorry my Cuban friend, but that is probably the least convincing "test" you could possibly present.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Sorry my Cuban friend, but that is probably the least convincing "test" you could possibly present.

Travis

How do you figure? The link I posted doesn't do justice to the tests, first hand reports. The cadavers were shot to also find out the ability to break bone and larger diameter projectiles are more likely to break bone rather than simply shooting a hole through the bone.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the very early 20th Century the Germans figured out that a flat point FMJ had far better shocking and wound producing capabilities than any round nose bullet. Even a small flat meplat was better than any round nose and the bullet they used wouldn't even be considered a flat point today, more of a truncated cone.

No one in their right mind goes hunting today with a round nose cast bullet but lots of folks put down game of all sizes with flat nose Keith or LBT styles.

I've always wondered why the military never took that route?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475

How do you figure? The link I posted doesn't do justice to the tests, first hand reports. The cadavers were shot to also find out the ability to break bone and larger diameter projectiles are more likely to break bone rather than simply shooting a hole through the bone.

Well for one thing, it's from 1904.

For another, it plainly stated the results of shooting living cows were all over the map, but they all just sorta decided the 45 seemed to work the best.

Lastly, it seems centered around one aspect of cartridge selection. As opposed to the totality of all circumstances surrounding what law enforcement personnel should weigh when selecting a cartridge.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Well for one thing, it's from 1904.

For another, it plainly stated the results of shooting living cows were all over the map, but they all just sorta decided the 45 seemed to work the best.

Lastly, it seems centered around one aspect of cartridge selection. As opposed to the totality of all circumstances surrounding what law enforcement personnel should weigh when selecting a cartridge.

Travis

As I posted the article doesn't do the testing justice. Nothing has shrunk or increased since then. Loads are faster and better today for all caliber so not just some.

Last edited by jwp475; 08/27/15.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'll concede that a .45 caliber bullet is larger than a .35 caliber bullet.

As does the FBI report.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It makes sense if you are doing it "for the women"... I just read and talk face to face w guys that were THERE on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan and they tell me the 9 SUCKS. Not to mention JWP's link above.. 9mm is for girls...

And how did it "suck"?

How did the 9mm stack up against .40s and .45s in side by side comparison?

What was the sample size for each caliber?

What loads were they using? Because if they weren't the loads the FBI considered or what I'll carry, I couldn't give a flip less about somebody's "one time at band camp" stories.

Afghanistan and Iraq were "one time at band camp"? seriously? See JWP's link on US Army tests on the 9 v 45.

For the most part, yes. Because the stories almost always come from people with no actual field experience that are second hand at best and have no basis in anything resembling scientific, unbiased testing. Until I hear the basis for an opinion from "the sandbox" I treat them all as band camp stories.

You're welcome to prove me wrong by providing answers to the very simple questions that would dispel all doubts about whether or not someone should trust the source.

And I did see the link from the test ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN YEARS AGO.

I also saw a report from 1951 about there not being a vaccine for polio. And a study from 1928 that said penicillin didn't exist.

Maybe, just maybe things have changed since NINETEENFREAKINGOHFOUR.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I'll concede that a .45 caliber bullet is larger than a .35 caliber bullet.

As does the FBI report.

Travis

+1.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
FMJ the 45 will win over the nine, HP Ammo today not so much.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What was true then is true now as JWP alluded to in the previous post. Both cartridges have evolved since then with better and even faster loadings for both.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bea175
FMJ the 45 will win over the nine, HP Ammo today not so much.

Have you personally compared the 2, or just repeating what you heard? When I compare the 2 with modern ammo the 45 comes out on top in penetration and diameter of wound produced. Granted not by much in the penetration department but it is still the larger of the 2, even with JHPs

Last edited by jwp475; 08/27/15.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Granted not by much but it is still the larger of the 2, even with JHPs

That is also what the FBI test concluded.

Travis

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Granted not by much in the penetration department but it is still the larger of the 2, even with JHPs

That is also what the FBI test concluded.

Travis

The 9mm has the advantage in magazine capacity which is real advantage, but those that think it equals or exceeds the 45 in teriminsl performance are in fantasy land.
I am thinking of a XD in 9mm it will take a 19 round mag, that is a definate advantage in fire power no doubt. The 45 can be had a 14 round capacity which ain't bad.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It is not a matter of equaling or exceeding the performance of a 45. It is a matter of using data collected from the field to determine what is required of a cartridge for the purposes of law enforcement personnel.

The report explains that 12-18" of penetration was necessary. It explains that certain 9mm loadings meet or exceed this requirement. It also explains some .40 cal ammunition does not.

It also explains that 70-80% of shots fired by law enforcement personnel in deadly force situations are misses. Which means more bullets are always better than less bullets.

It also explains that accuracy is paramount above all else. And that the lighter recoiling cartridge improves the speed and accuracy of ALL pistol shooters.

If anybody has a valid argument against any of these key points, feel free to urinate up that rope.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It makes sense if you are doing it "for the women"... I just read and talk face to face w guys that were THERE on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan and they tell me the 9 SUCKS. Not to mention JWP's link above.. 9mm is for girls...

And how did it "suck"?

How did the 9mm stack up against .40s and .45s in side by side comparison?

What was the sample size for each caliber?

What loads were they using? Because if they weren't the loads the FBI considered or what I'll carry, I couldn't give a flip less about somebody's "one time at band camp" stories.

Afghanistan and Iraq were "one time at band camp"? seriously? See JWP's link on US Army tests on the 9 v 45.

For the most part, yes. Because the stories almost always come from people with no actual field experience that are second hand at best and have no basis in anything resembling scientific, unbiased testing. Until I hear the basis for an opinion from "the sandbox" I treat them all as band camp stories.

You're welcome to prove me wrong by providing answers to the very simple questions that would dispel all doubts about whether or not someone should trust the source.

And I did see the link from the test ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN YEARS AGO.

I also saw a report from 1951 about there not being a vaccine for polio. And a study from 1928 that said penicillin didn't exist.

Maybe, just maybe things have changed since NINETEENFREAKINGOHFOUR.

The Thompson-LaGarde tests were done with non-expanding bullets and it's generally recognized as nearly difinitive for non-expanding bullets; even 100 years later. The ONLY change has been development of the 9mm which has increased terminal and barrier penetration only; pretty much nothing else has changed with non-expanding handgun bullets in the past 100 years. Sure there have been some exotic developments, but no major military uses such ammunition so it's kind of a moot point.

JWP was talking about non-expanding ammunition and for that, the Thompson-LaGarde tests were pretty darned good; so much so that no one has felt the need to re-do them. And ballistic gelatin tests have really just confirmed Thompson-LaGarde.

Now when we get to expanding, the whole world changes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is not a matter of equaling or exceeding the performance of a 45. It is a matter of using data collected from the field to determine what is required of a cartridge for the purposes of law enforcement personnel.

The report explains that 12-18" of penetration was necessary. It explains that certain 9mm loadings meet or exceed this requirement. It also explains some .40 cal ammunition does not.

It also explains that 70-80% of shots fired by law enforcement personnel in deadly force situations are misses. Which means more bullets are always better than less bullets.

It also explains that accuracy is paramount above all else. And that the lighter recoiling cartridge improves the speed and accuracy of ALL pistol shooters.

If anybody has a valid argument against any of these key points, feel free to urinate up that rope.

Travis
That's the fist I've ever heard of the .40 under performing in penetration, that was always it's strong suit...well, at least with the 180's.

Other than that, I'd say you're spot on.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Travis

All of that is very true.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I'm just re-writing the findings of the report.

Travis

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Travis
That's the fist I've ever heard of the .40 under performing in penetration, that was always it's strong suit...well, at least with the 180's.

Penetration is a lot about the bullet, as much or more so than the cartridge.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

All of that is very true.

We need to find a way to calm down our Cuban friend...

Travis

Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,720
Posts18,514,225
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.