Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 49 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 48 49
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RWE
So you are saying unless I can provide a physical fact to justify faith, its dishonest?

I just said "evidence", I did not specify the nature of the evidence. However, if your evidence is not something that manifests in the material world, that makes it really had to test and verify.

So let me ask you, do you think this is an "honest position":

I am going to tell you why someone happens the way it does. Now I have no evidence for this, and the evidence that does exist indicates I am wrong, but I'm going to choose to believe this anyway because, (I was indoctrinated to believe this as a kid, because it makes me feel good, because my preacher says so, because some bronze age goat herders say so, etc.....)

If that really an honest position?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
The irony of that is there wouldn't have been any abortions going on in Indian country if it weren't for a bunch of Christians wanting religious freedom.

[Linked Image]

I'm continually told this is a Christian country that was started as a Christian nation. I'm guessing it was the atheists that did the Indian killing.

You are being told a lie. This country was founded on profit not Christianity. The Christian nation thing is a history book fabel.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Gotta hand it to you....you're persistent. Let me ask you for an honest answer if you possibly can. A simple yes or no may even suffice......

One day we will find out who is right, won't we?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jdm953
I dont suppose anyone really needs to ask the question "where do we come from" or maybe better stated "how did we come to be".Its explaining this that religion begins.Any explanation is religion because no one was there.We all have our proof to support what we believe in.All belief systems are religion including evolution as it is just another theory.The only difference is what you have faith in.

JDM, let me help you understand science a little better.

Imagine that someone commits a murder, and no one witnessed it. The detectives show up and find tire track evidence, foot wear evidence, hair and fiber evidence, the murder weapon with finger prints, and DNA evidence, all pointing to the same suspect. Are you claiming it's impossible to prove beyond a reasonable doubt this person did it because we don't have an eye witness? Are you saying such a conviction would require Religion? Such a position is preposterous.

As for evolution being "just another theory", again, you are demonstrating your lack of scientific education.

In science a Theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

A scientific theory is a broad, natural explanation for a wide range of phenomena. Theories are concise, coherent, systematic, predictive, and broadly applicable, often integrating and generalizing many hypotheses."

Any scientific theory must be based on a careful and rational examination of the facts. Facts and theories are two different things. In the scientific method, there is a clear distinction between facts, which can be observed and/or measured, and theories, which are scientists’ explanations and interpretations of the facts.

An important part of scientific theory includes statements that have observational consequences. A good theory, like Newton’s theory of gravity, has unity, which means it consists of a limited number of problem-solving strategies that can be applied to a wide range of scientific circumstances. Another feature of a good theory is that it formed from a number of hypotheses that can be tested independently.

So the next time you say Evolution is "just a theory", remember, The Theory of Gravity, Germ Theory, the Theory of Plate Tectonics, Theory of Relativity (general and special), and the Heliocentric Theory are all "just Theories".

As for the Theory of Evolution. Scientist have the fossils and the DNA. We win.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/27/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As for the Theory of Evolution. Scientist have the fossils and the DNA. We win.

Agree.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Gotta hand it to you....you're persistent. Let me ask you for an honest answer if you possibly can. A simple yes or no may even suffice......

No, we won't. We will be dead.

Before you can asset that, you must actually demonstrate a mind that can act independent of a brain. When our brain dies, all evidence indicated, so does our mind, so once we die, there will be nothing of us remaining to "know" anything.

Yea, it sucks, but that's what the evidence indicates.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by RJY66
Some Atheists seem to be just as passionate about their Atheistic beliefs as others are about their Christian beliefs. They zealously defend their Atheistic beliefs, as others zealously defend their Christian beliefs. Christians cannot prove God's existence, and Atheists cannot dis-prove God's existence.

I think in many instances it's not being passionate about being an atheist, it's being tired of being told who/what/when/where by Christians.

I can understànd where you're coming from. Many people's animosity and disdain isn't so much directed at God Himself, but at those who claim to be His followers.

I really think people who like to believe that are fooling themselves. Jesus told the people of his day that if they hated the Son, they hated the Father as well and that if anyone was going to throw in with him they should expect the world to hate them as it hated him. So no one should be a hypocrite and say you would love and believe in God if he had better followers. I don't buy it, that is utter horse crap. My experience with believers runs the gamut from awesome to miserable but it changes nothing about my belief. If you don't believe in God, hate the concept of him, and want to be an "atheist" just own it, and don't make excuses. Be a man and pick your side.

I believe you missed the point. Completely.

Following Christ does not mean following His followers, many who come across as judgmental, quarrelsome, disingenuous, hostile, and moralistic superiors who seem to think they are the only ones going to heaven and also seem to relish the fact that everyone else is going to hell. Some folks don't wanna belong to 'that' group. And although they remain committed to Christ, and their faith in Christ remains central to their lives, and they continue to believe in a loving God who created the universe... they choose to step away from the words 'Christian' and 'Christianity'. With good reason. Christ is infinitely more important than either of those two words.

Here is the problem with what you are saying. Christ died for and loves the very people you want to "step away" from. If you are going to follow Christ you have to put up with and bear with people, particularly HIS people, because he does. It always helps to take the plank our of your own eye before you take gnat out of someone else's eye.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by Snyper
It all this has 'always been', don't you genius evolutionists have to believe a superior being would have 'evolved' in all these trillions of years?

If it was "created" why are things still so screwed up?

You're just one more example of a "Christian" trying to claim your beliefs are superior, and anyone who doesn't agree isn't as smart as you.

Thanks for proving the OP's point

Screwed up?

There's nothing illegal going on here.

Over a billion people on this planet attempting to live on less then a dollar a day....You don't think that's screwed up??

screwed up with people I suppose. We should be helping folks more.

Maybe if everyone believed...

Oops, see, another circular argument coming...

Show me a good action that can be taken by a Christian, that cannot be taken by an Atheist.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

I'd put my money on everyone being wrong. It's not just Christians vs Atheists with one being the winner, its thousands of different ideas and beliefs all trying to figure it out. I'm thinking no one's done it yet, and maybe never will.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RickyD
The poor will be with you always.

That is the damage of your Christianity. Because of some Bible verse, you don't even think we should examine the problem, attempt to identify the root causes, and implement solutions to reduce the suffering of other humans because your Bible says, OH, they will always be with you....implying, don't even try to improve their lot in life.

Thank you for demonstrating how a Bible verse can direct a well meaning Christian into immoral thinking.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RWE

Over a billion people on this planet attempting to live on less then a dollar a day....You don't think that's screwed up??

besides, you assume a quality of life based on money. Maybe its not about money, as opposed to faith?

Then what?

You don't think starving, and not having access to fresh water affects a persons quality of life?

Do you honestly think you could have a high quality of life on a dollar a day and "faith".

In interesting to hear that you place more value on Faith then the actual real suffering or real people in this world.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RWE
The reality that life on Earth sucks? is that what you are trying to get at?

sucks, for lack of a better term, is subjective.

My life is actually pretty good. But for the bottom billion, yea, it kind of sucks.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
As for your comments on infinity, the Universe has not existed for an infinite amount of time, but a finite 13.8 billion years. In addition, the universe is expanding, so it's finite in size. The total energy of the universe also continues to decrease as we move toward "heat death", so again, we will not have equal conditions for an infinite amount of time, so your whole infinity argument is void.

I find it interesting how you propose that God, your idea of the most complex intelligence in the universe could have EVOLVED, but we are so complex that we could not have evolved? This is a simple case of "special pleading".

I did not propose that at all (concerning God), but nice try.

What existed before that 13.8 billion years? And, what exists at the boundary of it all, given it's finite?

Before the 13.8 billion, WE DON'T KNOW. There are some idea's out there, but nothing that's been elevated to the level of a Scientific Theory.

What I will tell you, is that if and when someone does figure it out, it will be a Scientist, not a Theologian.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK, Honestly - What do Atheist believe?

Do you believe that's there is such a thing as Good and Evil in the world?

How about the supernatural? Ghosts, spirits, possession?

Ray
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You must whole-heartedly support man-made global warming models.

Has science been politicized at all these last 50 years?

Originally Posted by Snyper
There is evidence for one of those theories

The science community always has it all figured out, eh?

[Linked Image]

No Scientist has ever asserted that science has always had it all figured out.

If you take a look at your chart on the atomic timeline, you will notice all that progress was made by scientist, and there was no contribution made by religion.

I do not support man made global warming models. As the Economist Thomas Sowell points out, the changes in temperature and CO2 levels do not correlate. In addition, statisticians have demonstrated that you can put totally random date into the climate models and still get the dreaded "hockey stick".

Nope, the evidence for human caused global warming is week, and contradictory, and none of the Chicken Littles have provided sufficient evidence that some warming would be bad. In their analysis, they fail to consider the benefits of a warming earth such as fewer cold deaths, and the ability to grow more crops in higher latitudes. Greenland used to be green, and Norway used to be a large producer of grapes, during the Medieval Warm Phase.

Liberals are not very skilled at evaluating both sides of an equation.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by MojoHand

I can count on one hand (with leftovers) the Christians who have the moral, intellectual and spiritual honesty to say, "I choose to believe this not because of facts or proof but because I want to'. And, again, let me stress...that's ok. However, it leads to at least two questions for me..

One, because it is a matter of pure 'faith' (belief without or in the face of facts) how do you regard your version as any better or 'truer' than another's?

Two, (and this is the big, important one for me) how does your 'faith' then make you a better person? Because most Religious people I've met end up using their beliefs to judge others and make themselves feel superior--sometimes 'innocently' and often maliciously.

In the end, both atheists and Christians have the same evidence for God/gods...none. The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact. The atheists chooses no belief and doesn't try to convince you of anything.

Who's more honest?"

I will be honest with you. I believe in God and Jesus Christ, the Son OF God. Why, because I want to, I made that choice myself without any need for proof. In fact I will go on record as saying not only is their no proof but it may even be a sin to try to find a proof. I believe because I believe and that's all I need.

Just out of curiosity, which finger am I? I won't be upset if you say the middle. grin

Scott, per usual, you provide a straight forward honest answer.

As for the question, is it a sin to seek proof, many belief the search is justified by 1st Peter 3:15, which I will paraphrase for you:

...be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you...

Technically, you met your requirement by stating the hope in you is from Faith alone, but others may feed the need to present a logical argument to the logical minded.

You make a good point. Perhaps I should have said I think it might be a sin for a Christian to seek proof. Christianity is one hundred percent faith based. Through faith in Christ I am saved. Without faith what does a Christian have?

Without Faith, what does a Christian have?

A more clear view of reality.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
"Not believing this was "created" does not require any faith, because we have the evidence. Faith is a belief held despite a lack of evidence, or despite good evidence to the contrary. The scientific evidence for the Big Bang and Evolution are not in any way faith based.

As for your comments on infinity, the Universe has not existed for an infinite amount of time, but a finite 13.8 billion years. In addition, the universe is expanding, so it's finite in size. The total energy of the universe also continues to decrease as we move toward "heat death", so again, we will not have equal conditions for an infinite amount of time, so your whole infinity argument is void."

When I read comments like the above, I think to myself:

My friend, A.S. is awfully smart. But ain't no way in hell he figured all that out by himself.

Other guys must have come up with these ideas, and A.S. believes they offer an explanation for things he can't "see" personally.

I reckon it brings him a measure of comfort to believe that SOMEBODY has the answers, so he puts his faith in THEM... the scientists.

Not much different from "believers" who have never had a personal experience with the "risen Jesus", but place their bets on the bible, or, the church.

So....... that leaves a blessed few who just KNOW.

And they know that their kind of knowledge can't be transmitted from one human to another.

Rather than feeling superior, they just feel BLESSED.

Curdog,

We all stand on the shoulders of giants.

Please see my post regarding the Murder Suspect. You don't have to see something in person to be able to evaluate the evidence. If that was the case, our entire jury system would make no sense. Are you really proposing that only someone who witnessed a crime could be on the jury to evaluate the evidence?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
Following Christ does not mean following His followers, many who come across as judgmental, quarrelsome, disingenuous, hostile, and moralistic superiors who seem to think they are the only ones going to heaven and also seem to relish the fact that everyone else is going to hell. Some folks don't wanna belong to 'that' group. And although they remain committed to Christ, and their faith in Christ remains central to their lives, and they continue to believe in a loving God who created the universe... they choose to step away from the words 'Christian' and 'Christianity'. With good reason. Christ is infinitely more important than either of those two words.

Here is the problem with what you are saying. Christ died for and loves the very people you want to "step away" from. If you are going to follow Christ you have to put up with and bear with people, particularly HIS people, because he does. It always helps to take the plank our of your own eye before you take gnat out of someone else's eye.

He also died for unbelievers, yet Christians are told to "come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them"...Christ died for and loves the very unbelievers that scripture tells Christians to 'step away' from. For you to insist that being a disciple of Christ means that you must follow the group of what has become a lot of 'Christians' and 'Christianity' nowadays likely speaks to why people have left 'the church' in droves, and it illustrates clearly what Steelhead meant when he said "it's not being passionate about being an atheist, it's being tired of being told who/what/when/where by Christians". Putting up with, and bearing with, the type of Christians and Christianity that I described in my post above...and more importantly, being a disciple of Jesus...does NOT mean agreeing with their position or being a part of their clique. Thank God.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The irony of that is there wouldn't have been any abortions going on in Indian country if it weren't for a bunch of Christians wanting religious freedom.

[Linked Image]

I'm continually told this is a Christian country that was started as a Christian nation. I'm guessing it was the atheists that did the Indian killing.

You are being told a lie. This country was founded on profit not Christianity. The Christian nation thing is a history book fabel.

That's exactly what it was based upon. The original colony in Plymouth had investors who paid for the ship ride over, initial supplies etc, who were expecting a return on their investment.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

No, we won't. We will be dead.

Before you can asset that, you must actually demonstrate a mind that can act independent of a brain. When our brain dies, all evidence indicated, so does our mind, so once we die, there will be nothing of us remaining to "know" anything.

Yea, it sucks, but that's what the evidence indicates.

I figured as much. That has nothing to do with my question, which is one day we'll see if you're right, or I'm right (since I agree with the Bible). Guess you're a dishonest atheist and won't answer.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 6 of 49 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,258
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.