Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Such a great pissing match!

Who won?

"Smile"

He did, I quit.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by Gus

meanwhile, Labor Day weekend is coming. it's time to grill some greasy burgers.

Showing your obvious lack of faith.

Labor day is for tamales and beer....

Tomorrow is International Bacon Day. There must be burgers.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a line of reasoning that says "If the atheists are correct...and after death...we all disappear into nothingness, then the Christian believers have lost nothing. But if Jesus is real...and after death...eternal life truly does begin, then the atheists are in a lot of trouble.”

That said...regardless of the hereafter...many will attest that the life that people live, here and now, is made more fulfilling, and 'easier', when one walks through it being a fully devoted follower of Jesus...and having a one on one relationship with Him.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by antlers
There is a line of reasoning that says "If the atheists are correct...and after death...we all disappear into nothingness, then the Christian believers have lost nothing. But if Jesus is real...and after death...eternal life truly does begin, then the atheists are in a lot of trouble.”

That said...regardless of the hereafter...many will attest that the life that people live, here and now, is made more fulfilling, and 'easier', when one walks through it being a fully devoted follower of Jesus...and having a one on one relationship with Him.

Did you not get the fallacy revealed in posts refuting Pascal's wager?

The ex-lives of Egypt's Coptic Christians might monkey wrench your second point.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Interesting that theoretical secular science is fine until proven false... yet intelligent science thesis must be proven first.

Kent

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Frankly, anyone that parrots following Jesus makes an "easy life" is doing a disservice.

I don't think we were promised an easy life.

That "yoke is easy" premise would have applied to the simplicity of the message as opposed to a "law" based one.

The path is still narrow.

Rock on.

And I will acquiesce to bacon on Saturday, but Monday is tamales and beer.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I know for a fact there is no easy life. But there never was a promise or even a hint. Actually there was a warning.

Man makes his own bed and has to 'live' with it.

I doubt we go through this chit to just turn into mindless wraiths that eat grapes at God's feet. The challenges will increase I wager.

Free will means just that... good and bad.

Kent

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
there's an old lady that works at a nearby pharmacy told me one time that all True Christians would be far better off dead.

so much for the good life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12

Did you not get the fallacy revealed in posts refuting Pascal's wager?
The ex-lives of Egypt's Coptic Christians might monkey wrench your second point.

"My yoke is 'easy'"...some believe He isn’t speaking here of physical burdens.

The 'easier' life mentioned above...as well as the 'yoke'...refer to being harnessed to Jesus...and 'that' coupling can bring rest, relief, and refreshment to one's soul...and peace and healing to one's heart.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Gus
there's an old lady that works at a nearby pharmacy told me one time that all True Christians would be far better off dead.

Is she dispensing arsenic laced Rx to them?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
AS,

You have not stated your case and you keep trying to divert away from the question.

I will help you by giving you a softer target; The universe came from something, something caused it. What was it?

TF

Then you missed some of my posts. I suggest you go back and read more carefully.

The best evidence at this point supports Kraus's theory.

But lets say that instead of a statement of belief, it was a statement of knowledge, that "I don't know", that still doesn't get you any close to "God did it"

You have an unfalsifiable God, which means it's logical to reject him out of hand, and you have no evidence for your position. The fact remains, the only thing you have presented is an argument for ignorance, and an argument from personal incredulity. [/quote]

AS,

Well, Krauss has been effectively refuted by many astrophysicists but you keep the faith in "Magic Larry."

Something did not come from nothing and you can't accept that. Even well respected physicists like that guy... what is his name??? Vilentkin or something say that Krauss' models are fatally flawed and unworkable.

But you still have faith in "Magic Larry" to explain the universe.

AS, you have astounding faith in the unproven. It's like a religion with you. Was it you who called faith without proof to be unscientific or ridiculous. I can't quite recall your exact words but you DO have a religious faith in the upproven "Magic Larry."

TF

so, hold on to your faith in Magic Larry who you believe made the case that the universe came from nothing but can't show it scientifically.

And no, Magic Larry's theory is not the best out there.[/quote]

Vilenken is credited with introducing the idea of "quantum creation". In addition, Vilenken and Krauss issued a joint statement where Vilenken stated that Krauss did not misrepresent his idea's, and " Those who are claiming otherwise, including apparently Dr. Craig, are mistaken."

Sorry TF, you just fell for more of WLC's lies.

As for "faith" in Krauss, evidence requires no faith. If this idea is falsified tomorrow, then so be it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RWE
This thread alone is proof that Hell exists.

And it's right here on the Fire!

Or is that in the Fire?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Originally Posted by MojoHand
At this point, I think it is evident that AS's posts follow a predictable pattern:

“We can therefore express the major elements in the New Atheists’ agenda as follows: Religion is a dangerous delusion: it leads to violence and war. We must therefore get rid of religion: science will achieve that. We do not need God to be good: atheism can provide a perfectly adequate base for ethics.”
― John C. Lennox, Gunning for God

Of course you're missing the fact that most everything claimed in that statement is true.

I take issue with two points:

I would clarify that religion CAN be a dangerous delusion, but not necessarily always.

I highly doubt science/facts/truth will ever 'get rid of religion'. Religion is based on emotional need and the confirmation bias that accompanies it is immune to facts.

"If the cure for ignorance
were simply a dose of the truth
We could eradicate the disease of the elderly
and inoculate our youth"

I am not missing the fact that most everything claimed in that statement is true. I do, however, get the fact that you are making a truth claim for which you have not provided sufficient evidence.

Peter Atkins (a highly regared athiest) makes this positive assertian:
"Science is omnipotent."

Do you disagree with him also?

A) what truth claim are you referring to?

B) I would have to get a clarification from that guy on what he means by 'omnipotent'. Does he mean infallible? Does he mean all powerful in that he believes science will eventually be able to explain all? Perhaps he clarified in another portion of the video/debate?

In answer to A):

I quoted you. Don't you read your own post, or do you view with the same sense of babbling as the rest of us?

In answer to B):

Atkins give sufficient dialog to understand his meaning.

GB, are you trotting out Atkins and his silly statement that "Science is all knowing". To me, that is a highly arrogant, and moronic statement.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

That's called Pascals wager, which I've already debunked earlier on this thread.

At the very least Christians do loose something if there is no God. They lost 10% of their wages, and didn't get to sleep in on Sunday.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus

That is one of the examples of how religion break the morality of good people.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by krp
Interesting that theoretical secular science is fine until proven false... yet intelligent science thesis must be proven first.

Kent

Kent, you misunderstand.

It is unreasonable to believe everything just because it's asserted, be it a scientific or a supernatural claim. The claim must be supported by evidence. However if you have emperical evidence running contrary a claim, the claim can be falsified, and therefore proven wrong regardless if it's scientific or supernatural in nature.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Gus

Is she dispensing arsenic laced Rx to them?

she's one of the part-time clerks that runs the cash resister. I don't think she gets to touch the medicine. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

That's called Pascals wager, which I've already debunked earlier on this thread.
At the very least Christians do loose something if there is no God. They lost 10% of their wages, and didn't get to sleep in on Sunday.

Some believe that Atheists...along with those who are not disciples of Jesus...will likely lose a whole lot more than 'that' if and when they find out that there is a God...and there is a Jesus...and what He said about Himselff is true.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Some believe that Atheists...along with those who are not disciples of Jesus...will likely lose a whole lot more than 'that' if and when they find out that there is a God...and there is a Jesus...and what He said about Himselff is true.

And what do you loose if you get the the pearly gates and you are greeted by Joseph Smith, or Muhammad, or one of the other thousands of gods that have existed?

As you can see, Pascals Wager is also a false dichotomy wrapped in a threat.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

And what do you loose if you get the the pearly gates and you are greeted by Joseph Smith, or Muhammad, or one of the other thousands of gods that have existed?

As you can see, Pascals Wager is also a false dichotomy wrapped in a threat.

we're steadily narrowing down the numbers though. the Greeks had about 100 until the successful input of the early Xtians reduced it down to 3. that's quite an accomplishment right there, I'm sure you will agree.

Page 40 of 49 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1234, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,411
Posts18,507,124
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.