Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1950 Savage 342 in 22 Hornet.

No serial number.

I'm such a rebel.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
Rick:

I'm not law enforcement direct but civilian, autonomous collaborator with The FBI for infrastructure protection.

Wait.. so, TSA?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was associated with law enforcement once. Only lasted overnight tho......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bull:

I had two handguns that were brought in from overseas. I tried to register them but needed three character witnesses which I didn't have at the time. I even wrote to the County executive but wasn't able to engender more people. So I let it lay for 40 years. Couple of years ago I had the bug and necessity to transfer those to my son in a different state. By hook and crook and jawboning I was able to persuade the sheriffs department and county permit office to issue the permits. Thus I transferred/shipped them out of my state to my son who went through the drill and got them accepted and permitted in his state.

In your case don't stir sleeping dogs. Let it lay. You have a snowballs chance in hell of ever transferring title, or shipping out of state, or selling commercially such as on consignment in a gun store without a serial number. If you eventually pass it on to heirs just zip it up and keep quiet.

Get friendly with your local Law Enforcement. They are generally, predominately good guys and usually are accommodating in the matter if legitimate and makes sense.

Do you proof read your bulls chit before you type it?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12

talk about the pot speaking to the kettle.....

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gitem_12

talk about the pot speaking to the kettle.....

At least mine cam be blamed on autocorrect

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What fun this all is! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Waiting for his reply....

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well.................

None are so blind as they who will not see......

None are so deaf as they who will not hear......

Fellows - I don't care how long y'all keep this up but I developed this philosophy some time back.

If you don't feed the TROLL, it will go away.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be a while. He's currently getting raped.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
1950 Savage 342 in 22 Hornet.

No serial number.

I'm such a rebel.

[Linked Image]

Nice one. I let a nice .222 get away not long ago. Ridiculous price too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you could stamp any number on a gun and past it off for a real serial number if you wanted to be a criminal.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Who needs Comedy Central............we've got Tibbe!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rick:

I'm not law enforcement direct but civilian, autonomous collaborator with The FBI for infrastructure protection.

Snitch?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Bob:

Here's a little bit more info:

But first, if some spoilers had actually read my original post I was responding to the question posed, by invitation, from the person who started this thread, they would have seen that I had interjected lots of conditions and scenarios about various guns.

As always and particularly on this forum, some people seem to think that one size fits all.

#1. The touted GCA 1968 law requiring that all guns needed a serial number was preceded by a 1938 Federal Firearms act. The 1938 act required rifles to be stamped with serial numbers. Prior to that date serial numbers were by manufacturers option and all of the serious ones did number their guns and some even numbered individual parts. .22 caliber and shotguns didn't need serial numbers until 1968.

#2. If not MOST, then many JC Higgins Sears Roebuck .22 caliber rifles didn't have serial numbers. Sears farmed out the manufacturing of their guns to numerous manufacturers. A model number appeared on each gun and it identified the company that manufactured the gun for Sears. There were numerous well known manufacturers, Americans, as well as Mauser. The Mauser pirates counterfeiting, that I alluded to, occurred at the close of WW11 when Mauser was dismembered and the equipment hauled off to other countries one of which was Serbia.

#3. As to your gun without serial number, to determine if it is legal or illegal depends on caliber and date of manufacture. If it is post 1968 illegal. If it is post 1938 and a rifle larger than .22 illegal. If it is pre 1938, without serial number, probably legal. If the serial number was effaced - illegal - a felony. Some sentences were 5 years and $10,000 fine. Again, I covered this in my original post here but it apparently was too brief, or not sufficiently explanatory and lacked detail for some to absorb and for that I am sorry.

#4. As you astutely observed you can't ship to my son directly to his home address. He isn't FFL. You need to address it to him CO Thunder Mountain. That's a FFL skeet range close by.

http://www.thundermt.com/

When the gun arrives without a serial number that's when the fun begins with the Ringwood police. I should know I shipped numerous guns here.

My grandson is also William Tibbe. He works at thunder mountain during the summer vacation from college.

#5.

It is always a pleasure to exchange opinions with you and the vast majority of the other posters in a calm and sensible manner.

As to my involvement with law enforcement, in case my fellow posters are not familiar, here's the Infragard website. I'm not recruiting for them but I will say anyone who cares about our country may want to try and get accepted as a member and help out to protect our people and our country. I'll amplify strenuously that my involvement does not in any way connect with my activity here. It is totally separated.

https://www.infragard.org/

Bill

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 09/05/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by deflave
Bull:

I had two handguns that were brought in from overseas. I tried to register them but needed three character witnesses which I didn't have at the time. I even wrote to the County executive but wasn't able to engender more people. So I let it lay for 40 years. Couple of years ago I had the bug and necessity to transfer those to my son in a different state. By hook and crook and jawboning I was able to persuade the sheriffs department and county permit office to issue the permits. Thus I transferred/shipped them out of my state to my son who went through the drill and got them accepted and permitted in his state.

In your case don't stir sleeping dogs. Let it lay. You have a snowballs chance in hell of ever transferring title, or shipping out of state, or selling commercially such as on consignment in a gun store without a serial number. If you eventually pass it on to heirs just zip it up and keep quiet.

Get friendly with your local Law Enforcement. They are generally, predominately good guys and usually are accommodating in the matter if legitimate and makes sense.

This person has no earthly clue WTF he's talking about.

Travis

You're just figgerin' THAT out?!

I took BigStick off my Ignore list and replaced him with that guy.

Stick may not be into social graces but he's actually out there shooting,, loading and making stuff happen. And, he's a pretty good photographer.

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

But first, if some spoilers had actually read my original post I was responding to the question posed, by invitation, from the person who started this thread, they would have seen that I had interjected lots of conditions and scenarios about various guns.

As always and particularly on this forum, some people seem to think that one size fits all.

Bill: When you find yourself in a hole, it's best to throw away the shovel. Through your statements quoted above, you've gone beyond losing all credibility; you've taken it into the realm of the absurd given your broad brush, unqualified statements from your first post:

A commercially manufactured gun with no serial number is illegal and cannot be owned.

But you can take this to the bank: Any gun that has the serial number missing is HOT and party to a felony. You can't sell it, you can't own it, you can't ship it.

So do us all a favor, admit you were wrong, and quit digging.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dirt;

sorry but I just do not know what you are talking about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

Bill: When you find yourself in a hole, it's best to throw away the shovel. Through your statements quoted above, you've gone beyond losing all credibility; you've taken it into the realm of the absurd given your broad brush, unqualified statements from your first post:

A commercially manufactured gun with no serial number is illegal and cannot be owned.

But you can take this to the bank: Any gun that has the serial number missing is HOT and party to a felony. You can't sell it, you can't own it, you can't ship it.

So do us all a favor, admit you were wrong, and quit digging.

Smoke:

You're right in your world and context. Absolutely.

I really like the aspect of very old and very experienced posters meticulously scrutinizing everything and exposing the false, disingenuous, information. Including mine.

I'm ready to confess and be sentenced, But what is my crime ??

I don't weasel around duck and dodge. _____________________________________________________

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't weasel around duck and dodge.

But you do a purty good dickweasel.

Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.