Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sorry I left out a "0" it's a 10.5" AR.

I understand that the Israelies are using it and they must have a reason. Maybe it's the shortness?

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by reelman
Sorry I left out a "0" it's a 10.5" AR.

I understand that the Israelies are using it and they must have a reason. Maybe it's the shortness?
Look into it. It's more than that. It's just a much more modern military main infantry weapon. Modularity, ease of maintenance, etc.,.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Oh, I'm cut to the quick. grin

You've really let your mean little boy out to play tonight.

Just stating facts.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
true, my local shop has one of these 308's as well, there are no bounds to foolishness. The Tavor is short that is a good point, nevertheless I shall stick to my regular DI DD, Colt etc guns I know that they work fine and I know how to make them work....

I've been around a 10" .30-30. They are exceedingly unpleasant. a 8.5" .308 would be Uber unpleasant

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Great review on a worthless hunk of schit.

I do hope they sell though.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Looks can be deceiving. Look at the Glock.

Is this comment supposed to make sense?

Travis

No. He is like a character on the Letterman show. It's weirdness so bad it's funny.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Tavor costs what it costs. I have one and expect to have another before the end of the year. On the whole I'd say the Tavor falls into the PDW category and maybe price competes as much with Wilson Combat and other high end handguns much more than with true rifles or even carbines.

My immediate comparison is with an old - LEO marked when I got it so I've had it quite a while and I'd say bonded OK - 6920 M4gerie. Incidentally current 6920 prices from CDNN and others are a fabulous deal buy 2 and half of those instead of a Tavor if you don't already have at least a brace of AR's. Great value and far more versatile than a Tavor - I've got a 24" Shilen barrel in .204 Ruger on a Colt lower and I can't imagine wanting that on a Tavor chassis even if it were free.

No question the AR is a better choice for a designated marksman role and that's more the civilian role in an end of the world as we know it conflict. I'm moving a CQB sight and light from the AR to the Tavor and going with a 3-gun style higher magnification at least available setup on the 6920. I say this to emphasize that I see a difference in roles.

For folks who've gone to the trouble and expense of papering a short barreled AR and adding a can for indoor use I'd go with the Tavor every time - likely enough in 9x19 with the cute and short suppressor - doesn't work with anything else but is really neat on a 9x19 Tavor so far.

See Jerry Miculek's videos of fun with a Tavor for suggestions including in vehicle to longer ranges.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Seems that the coolness factor is only in its short length.

A one trick pony,$2000/8MOA gun??

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/06/foghorn/gun-review-iwi-tavor-sar/

There are many types of insanity...this one guy we ran into was dumping all his AR's and going strictly .40SW Keltec sub 2000's... smile

Not for a second am I suggesting that anyone here is insane... smile

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Oh, I'm cut to the quick. grin

You've really let your mean little boy out to play tonight.

Just stating facts.

Travis
OK. Understood.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Jimmy, the Glock reference was made in response to Travis commenting that he knew the Tavor was junk because of what it looked like. My reply reminded him that many thought the same about the Glock when it was introduced, thus looks aren't necessarily a good basis for judging whether something is junk. Seems unlikely, in fact, that the IDF would switch their entire force to junk. I imagine they gave it a very good wringing out before making the decision, in fact.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by jimmyp
true, my local shop has one of these 308's as well, there are no bounds to foolishness. The Tavor is short that is a good point, nevertheless I shall stick to my regular DI DD, Colt etc guns I know that they work fine and I know how to make them work....

I've been around a 10" .30-30. They are exceedingly unpleasant. a 8.5" .308 would be Uber unpleasant

Not unpleasent at all. Remember the 30/30 is loaded with much slower powder than the 300BO. I have an 8.5" 300BO and it's a very mild report.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullpups are a step backwards into the days when Drill instructors beat left handed shooters.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BarryC
Bullpups are a step backwards into the days when Drill instructors beat left handed shooters.
Actually, the Tavor can be easily switched into a 100% left hand rifle. Takes a couple of minutes to do so. Being convertible and being ambi aren't the same, I understand that, but it's pretty versatile in that regard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reelman

Not unpleasent at all. Remember the 30/30 is loaded with much slower powder than the 300BO. I have an 8.5" 300BO and it's a very mild report.

The FAL pictured in the video is a full length 7.62x51 NATO/.308 Win, not a .300 Blackout smile

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
TRH,

I've shot, worked with and seen bullpups used.... Maybe not as much as you as it has only been a few hundred thousand rounds..... They are built for people that don't shoot. When the goal is hitting a target as fast as possible, generally from unusual and awkward positions- bullpups suck.

I've shot, worked with, trained with and trained Israelis. There is a lot of redeeming qualities that they possess...... Skill at arms is not among them. Overall they are a conscript military. They have a few units that are better, yet like everyone else besides America they lack the resources, institutional knowledge and culture of guns. This can not be overstated. There are US Reserve and National Guard units that are better trained, funded and prepared than Israel's very best.

I do not mean that as a slight, I mean it as ground truth and why what they use should have absolutely no bearing on anyone's weapon choice.

Having said that, again- EVERY SINGLE "special" unit in countries that issue bullpups use an M4 derivative weapon. Read that again. Every single Israeli unit that has a choice uses an M4 based gun.

You can take to the bank that the best shooters and killers on planet earth reside in the United States. They all shoot M4 derivatives. Where I come from that's called a clue.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
TRH,

I've shot, worked with and seen bullpups used.... Maybe not as much as you as it has only been a few hundred thousand rounds..... They are built for people that don't shoot. When the goal is hitting a target as fast as possible, generally from unusual and awkward positions- bullpups suck.

I've shot, worked with, trained with and trained Israelis. There is a lot of redeeming qualities that they possess...... Skill at arms is not among them. Overall they are a conscript military. They have a few units that are better, yet like everyone else besides America they lack the resources, institutional knowledge and culture of guns. This can not be overstated. There are US Reserve and National Guard units that are better trained, funded and prepared than Israel's very best.

I do not mean that as a slight, I mean it as ground truth and why what they use should have absolutely no bearing on anyone's weapon choice.

Having said that, again- EVERY SINGLE "special" unit in countries that issue bullpups use an M4 derivative weapon. Read that again. Every single Israeli unit that has a choice uses an M4 based gun.

You can take to the bank that the best shooters and killers on planet earth reside in the United States. They all shoot M4 derivatives. Where I come from that's called a clue.
That must be why Hezbollah kicked their butts in Lebanon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

interesting, thanks. I might start another thread with a related question.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,764
Posts18,515,316
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.