Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
This is denial in epic proportions. It is especially hypocritical from those who feel no accountability toward God...nor the need for it.

God created Satan (not his description before the fall) for a specific purpose. He also created him/her (that being is a better term) with free will. Satan chose to reject God's purpose.

God also created you for a specific purpose. If you choose to sin against the Grace of God...will you also blame God for your choice?

If you assume the atheistic position that God is not necessary for morality...that mankind can determine morality for itself...then who is to blame if you fall short of that same morality? You or God?

Yes I feel no accountability to that which does not exist.

The "free will" you continue to ignore, is that which was, according to Christian tenants, the first step, and done with perfect foreknowledge. By extension, in the above example, Gods choice to make me as "one who could not believe", and knew it with perfect foreknowledge when he did, so yes, withing the supposed Biblical context he would be responsible, just as he was responsible for his choice to create Satan the way he did.

Of course the reality is I see no reason to believe in the existence of any gods, so it is not reasonable to blame that which does not exist.

As for the role of god(s) in morality:

Morality exists.
There is no evidence that god(s) exist
Gods(s) are not necessary for morality.

You did not answer my question.

If you assume the atheistic position that God is not necessary for morality...that mankind can determine morality for itself...then who is to blame if you fall short of that same morality? You or God?

Yes I did, go back and read it again.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is denial in epic proportions. It is especially hypocritical from those who feel no accountability toward God...nor the need for it.

God created Satan (not his description before the fall) for a specific purpose. He also created him/her (that being is a better term) with free will. Satan chose to reject God's purpose.

God also created you for a specific purpose. If you choose to sin against the Grace of God...will you also blame God for your choice?

Yes I feel no accountability to that which does not exist. - - -

An atheist does not exist, so I feel no accountability to such a thing. An atheist is not at all needed for a description or definition of morality.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC

An atheist does not exist, so I feel no accountability to such a thing. An atheist is not at all needed for a description or definition of morality.

It doesn't matter how many times you continue to make this claim, it does not make it true. In addition, in another thread, we've already established that all babies are born atheist, and religion is learned.

CCCC, lately the quality of your reasoning has become very disappointing.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yeah, no coercion in the Old Testament. Seems it was TOO much for people to handle, so they came up with the New Testament.

"Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love--Isaac--and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you."

But the angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am." 12He said, "Do not stretch out your hand against the lad, and do nothing to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me."

13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went a took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

Going back to vs 8. And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

Why would you leave context out?

God didn't provide a lamb for Jephthah. God accepted his daughter as a burnt offering.

Nor did God request it.

Judges 11:30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.

This was all Jepthah's idea...his own folly.

Ecclesiastes 5:4-6King James Version (KJV)

4 When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed.

5 Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.

6 Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?

You really need to give citations if you are going to present Biblical passages as evidence. You are intentionally leaving out context to make a misleading point.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Yes I feel no accountability to that which does not exist.

The "free will" you continue to ignore, is that which was, according to Christian tenants, the first step, and done with perfect foreknowledge. By extension, in the above example, Gods choice to make me as "one who could not believe", and knew it with perfect foreknowledge when he did, so yes, withing the supposed Biblical context he would be responsible, just as he was responsible for his choice to create Satan the way he did.

Of course the reality is I see no reason to believe in the existence of any gods, so it is not reasonable to blame that which does not exist.

As for the role of god(s) in morality:

Morality exists.
There is no evidence that god(s) exist
Gods(s) are not necessary for morality.

You did not answer my question.

Yes I did, go back and read it again.

I did not ask you to read it again. I am still waiting for an answer to my question. Are you avoiding the question?

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[

God commended his love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

That is not coercion.

So a threat to burn forever in a lake of brimstone is not a coercion?

No. That is fact.

Going back to my example of the bridge being out. If I tell you the bridge is out, and that if you continue your coarse you will fall off and likely die.

Is that coercion? Or giving you the information for makeing a reasonable choice?

Hell was created for the Devil and the fallen angles. Hell hath enlarged itself to receive those who reject Christ.

Again, what you call coercion...is just plain facts.

The facts are:
God created Hell, with perfect foreknowledge that it would be used for more then just Satan and his followers, and that he would be sending human souls to hell to suffer forever. God created the rules by which souls are sent to hell. If you translate that into English, yes, God "blew up the bridge", and tells you to worship him, or God will burn you forever.

This is equivalent to God pouring the gasoline over your head then standing next to you with a lit match while commanding you to love him, or it's "just a fact", that he will drop the match. These are the actions of a twisted psychopath, not a loving divine being. [/quote]
If you insist on that analogy, consider this, God did not blow up the bridge. Man blew up the bridge when he chose to sin against a Holy God.

God in turn built a new bridge via the sacrifice of his Son.

No matter how vehemently you insist, you cannot get away from your responsibility in the matter.
If you choose to go to Hell, it will be over the broken body of Christ.

2 Peter 3:9 King James Version (KJV)
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

If you really feel that God has poured gasoline over your head and is standing next to you with a lit match...perhaps you should entertain the idea that perhaps what you feel and express is a sense of guilt toward a Holy God.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yeah, no coercion in the Old Testament. Seems it was TOO much for people to handle, so they came up with the New Testament.

"Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love--Isaac--and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you."

But the angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am." 12He said, "Do not stretch out your hand against the lad, and do nothing to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me."

13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went a took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

Going back to vs 8. And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

God didn't provide a lamb for Jephthah. God accepted his daughter as a burnt offering.

Nor did God request it.

Judges 11:30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.

4 When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed.

5 Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.

6 Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?

You really need to give citations if you are going to present Biblical passages as evidence. You are intentionally leaving out context to make a misleading point.

You need to read more closely.

Judges:
11:29 Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the children of Ammon.
11:30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
11:31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

Jephthah was infused with the spirit of the lord when he made his pledge. God chose what he wanted to come forth from Jephthah's house, and as previously noted, God choose not to alter his deal or send an angle with a lamb like he did with Abraham, and accepted this child sacrifice.

As for your quote above, it's just an admonishment to keep your pledges to God, which Jephthah did.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nobody is forcing her to do anything against her religion.

Nobody is forcing her to do anything against her will.

But if she doesn't want to do her job, step down and show her support for her beliefs.

All she is doing right now is saying that her religious beliefs don't trump her 80k salary.

And by not stepping down she is saying that what she wants is more important than the will of the people she works for. And/or the job she swore to do.

But hey, demand that the state and the county change the laws to suit her!

But trumping her and her crazy ideas is the fact that Cruz and Huckabee are trying to use it to their advantage...

Phil

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Nor did God request it.

You need to read more closely.

Judges:
11:29 Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the children of Ammon.
11:30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
11:31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

Jephthah was infused with the spirit of the lord when he made his pledge. God chose what he wanted to come forth from Jephthah's house, and as previously noted, God choose not to alter his deal or send an angle with a lamb like he did with Abraham, and accepted this child sacrifice.

As for your quote above, it's just an admonishment to keep your pledges to God, which Jephthah did.

Jephtnah was infused with the Spirty or the Lord giving him courage to pass through enemy territory.

You are reading into the passage what you want... namely that God chose the nature of his vow. It is more likely that Jephtnah was requiring the same thing athiest do...exrodinary evidence that God was real. All that followed was a result of Jephtnah's unbelief. After all, Jepthanh did not benefit from a strong Biblical foundation.

There are other accounts where men requested a sign that God was speaking to them when no such sign was necessary.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Originally Posted by BarryC
There is no love without free will.

That's right.

If He wanted robots He'd have made them.

Lucifer made his choice.
Adam made his choice.
Jesus made his choice.

We all make our own choice.
Everything in life is a choice.
Every step one takes, he's a free moral agent by design.
Once created, life is simply a series of decisions.

It's so easy a child can do it...
We are not robots.

So, God's plan is for everyone to make their own choice.

But if their choice doesn't meet approval from the "religious" crowd, then they are condemned for following "God's plan"?

Why does some County Clerk get to go against "God's plan" while claiming it's "God's plan" for her to do so?

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Nobody is forcing her to do anything against her religion.

Nobody is forcing her to do anything against her will.

But if she doesn't want to do her job, step down and show her support for her beliefs.

All she is doing right now is saying that her religious beliefs don't trump her 80k salary.

And by not stepping down she is saying that what she wants is more important than the will of the people she works for. And/or the job she swore to do.

But hey, demand that the state and the county change the laws to suit her!

But trumping her and her crazy ideas is the fact that Cruz and Huckabee are trying to use it to their advantage...

Phil

Rediculous! Why should she step down, she was elected.

If you were a local Sherif (elected by the people), and a Federal Judge ordered you to confiscate all firearms. Would you step down...or wait for the people who elected you to fire you at the next election.

People run off at the mouth about what should be done about this and that. And that they won't stand for this and that. Here is a woman with more balls than most of the posters here. She is making a stand, and morons pick her apart!

What principle do you have for which you hold that has cost you jail time?

Talk is cheap!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you insist on that analogy, consider this, God did not blow up the bridge. Man blew up the bridge when he chose to sin against a Holy God.

God in turn built a new bridge via the sacrifice of his Son.

No matter how vehemently you insist, you cannot get away from your responsibility in the matter.
If you choose to go to Hell, it will be over the broken body of Christ.

2 Peter 3:9 King James Version (KJV)
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

If you really feel that God has poured gasoline over your head and is standing next to you with a lit match...perhaps you should entertain the idea that perhaps what you feel and express is a sense of guilt toward a Holy God.

GB, Your first statement is absurd.

The act which created the "original sin", when Eve kyped a piece of fruit, occurred before Adam and Eve possessed the knowledge of good and evil, because they had not yet eaten from that tree. God put those trees in front of Adam and Eve with full foreknowledge of what would happen.

If you had a toddler a handgun in condition 0, will full knowledge that it will blow it's head off when you do so, YOU are responsible for end result, not the toddler. By extension, God is responsible for original sin.

Of course, there is not original sin, because the Garden of Eden never existed as a literal place.

As for my "responsibility to God", I have no responsibility to that which does not exist. Just like I have no responsibility to fairies, leprechauns, Nessie, or Gus's Aliens at area 51, I have no responsibility to your Jewish/Hellenistic Greek Myth.

However, I do find it interesting how you consider this extortionist to be "Holy". I have to wonder what other organized crime figures you hold in high esteem?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 09/21/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell was created for the Devil and the fallen angles. Hell hath enlarged itself to receive those who reject Christ.

You're attempting to prove "facts" by quoting from a fairy tale.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
She was elected to do a job, laws are fluid and never stay the same. She's not willing to do the job and is forcing her underlings to do it for her! Fact is that she should have been fired and not given a choice.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It doesn't matter how many times you continue to make this claim, it does not make it true. In addition, in another thread, we've already established that all babies are born atheist, and religion is learned.

Nothing of the sort was established in that other thread - you simply presented added rambling hypotheticals. The reasoning about the atheist is of the highest null hypothesis quality - it seems to irritate you that you have cornered yourself on the matter of proof. You have yet to offer a shred of proof that an atheist exists and, instead, desperately resort to ad hominem attack. Simply - provide proof that an atheist exists. Waiting.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Nothing of the sort was established in that other thread - you simply presented added rambling hypotheticals. The reasoning about the atheist is of the highest null hypothesis quality - it seems to irritate you that you have cornered yourself on the matter of proof. You have yet to offer a shred of proof that an atheist exists and, instead, desperately resort to ad hominem attack. Simply - provide proof that an atheist exists. Waiting.

You have in no way corned me with your choice to be ignorant.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Originally Posted by BarryC
There is no love without free will.

That's right.

If He wanted robots He'd have made them.

Lucifer made his choice.
Adam made his choice.
Jesus made his choice.

We all make our own choice.
Everything in life is a choice.
Every step one takes, he's a free moral agent by design.
Once created, life is simply a series of decisions.

It's so easy a child can do it...
We are not robots.

So, God's plan is for everyone to make their own choice.

But if their choice doesn't meet approval from the "religious" crowd, then they are condemned for following "God's plan"?

Why does some County Clerk get to go against "God's plan" while claiming it's "God's plan" for her to do so?

People keep talking about God's plan. I would like to see some citations referrencing this plan.

God give mankind freedom to choose.

The "religious" crowd does not choose the consequenses to those choices...God does.

The institution of marriage is God's design...not the state's.

This woman is following God's teaching on an institution he ordained.

She has every right according to God's design to resist the Judges order.

You may have to make the choice yourself someday. I hope you have the guts to do it.

It is a proven fact that civial disobedience works. Try if you can to get past your "religious" bias.

I can think of several issues that I would have not problem standing with unbelivers on. I would not let pressure swage my resolve.

I would stand on common ground, and seperate on uncommon ground. I hoppe I would not let anyone drive a wedge between me and anyone who holds simular views.

Her success, wither you agree with her or not, sets good president for other issues you may want to contest in the future.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Greyghost
She was elected to do a job, laws are fluid and never stay the same. She's not willing to do the job and is forcing her underlings to do it for her! Fact is that she should have been fired and not given a choice.

Phil

She is an elected official. She may be removed from office by due process, but she can not be fired. You really need to do more research.

Last edited by GeorgiaBoy; 09/21/15.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Snyper

You're attempting to prove "facts" by quoting from a fairy tale.

Your insisting that it is a fairy tale does not make it so. I don't have to know you to choose scripture over your assurtions.

We may all have our own opinions. It does not follow that each of our opinions are correct.

It it not my intention to take away your choice, nor force you to agree with my arguments. They are provide for your amusement if you choose that route.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
In most locals refusing to do your job is grounds to be fired... you all need to look it up more. Might be different in Kentucky but...

Phil

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 49 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,969
Posts18,519,622
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.