-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only benefit of electric cars is if you're a bliss ninny and figure if you don't have an exhaust pipe on your vehicle, you car not creating an environmental impact.

You'll conveniently ignore that more hydrocarbons have to be burned by the power plant you can't see and those wires being warmed up as a percentage of the power is lost in transmission and that battery production requires mining and nasty chemicals because an electric car makes you feel good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Storage of energy, ie batteries, are definitely where it's at.

The University of South Carolina is heavily invested-in and being funded-by the battery industry to do research into next generation batteries. Some of the new technology is amazing. Lithium has been around for awhile ... we were using lithium batteries in our PRC77s in the 70s. But how far they have come is just amazing.

And now they have all these hydrogen fuel cells coming along ...

But here's the thing Dixie Dude.

Electric companies will still own it all. They are already into wind and solar leasing ... plus, don't forget, they already own most of the hydro rights.

Don't believe for a minute that the utilities are going to sit idly by and die off anything in the near future. It'll be a long long long time before energy is ever controlled solely by the homeowner.

I'm saying this as someone who has $48k in top shelf panels, mounts and trackers on my roof, and another $21k in the field behind the house, right now and another $12k in batteries, inverters and related wiring in a separate building off the house.

Sometimes it's still not enough to run the HVAC during long hot humid spells here in the summertime.

It'll be another century before they get it all worked-out enough to make it affordable to the average homeowner.

In the meantime I predict there will be a cottage industry boom for homemade solar panels from kits that will make it more affordable, and reliable, to some.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yeah, all of that & nuclear too.

in the summer a careful planting of trees can make a big difference, and the location of windows.

in the winter, just wearing more clothes is or can be an important factor.

and don't forget the insulation levels and "paint jobs" on the buildings.

solar, nuclear, batterys, coal & oil doesn't have to shoulder the load alone.

we could dam more rivers, but i doubt that will happen.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I chuckle when I read about mileage claims for hybrid cars. Back in the 80s, I had a diesel VW Rabbit that routinely got 45-50 miles per gallon. It was older, simpler technology and it worked well. That, plus it had really good range between refills. I didn't like that car, but on many counts, it beat the pants off current hybrid technology.

Running a few approximate conversion efficiency numbers, I don't see where there is any great energy efficiency difference between an all electric car and current gasoline or diesel technology. They both come out about 20% efficient, or a little more or less. I'm not seeing a huge efficiency bonus by switching to all-electric.

There is a new technology that I think has some interesting possibilities. Automobile pistons are run boxer style, and move permanent magnets back and forth through coils of wire, generating electricity. There isn't a conversion to rotary motion. That might turn out to be more efficient, and do away with the transmission and such.

As far as running your house of a lithium battery....color me skeptical. The ones I'm familiar with are good for about 5-600 charge-discharge cycles. My off the cuff guess is that you'd wear out the battery long before your savings on your electric bill would buy you a new one.

We will see some wonderful advances, and some big problems solved, but probably not in the way many people expect.

Last edited by denton; 09/24/15.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCRooster

The University of South Carolina is heavily invested-in and being funded-by the battery industry to do research into next generation batteries. Some of the new technology is amazing. Lithium has been around for awhile ... we were using lithium batteries in our PRC77s in the 70s. But how far they have come is just amazing.

Electric companies will still own it all. They are already into wind and solar leasing ... plus, don't forget, they already own most of the hydro rights.

Don't believe for a minute that the utilities are going to sit idly by and die off anything in the near future. It'll be a long long long time before energy is ever controlled solely by the homeowner.

I'm saying this as someone who has $48k in top shelf panels, mounts and trackers on my roof, and another $21k in the field behind the house, right now and another $12k in batteries, inverters and related wiring in a separate building off the house.

Sometimes it's still not enough to run the HVAC during long hot humid spells here in the summertime.

It'll be another century before they get it all worked-out enough to make it affordable to the average homeowner.

In the meantime I predict there will be a cottage industry boom for homemade solar panels from kits that will make it more affordable, and reliable, to some.

So for $70k you have a system that can't meet your max load, and will take 30-40 years to pay off ignoring the cost of repairs and replacement batteries???

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i read online a few months back where telsa was coming out with a complete solar system that would run a whole average house for around 3500.00. they said the battery would be basically the size of a refrigerator. they said telsa was already selling it overseas and it came with a 10yr warranty.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
telsa ... run a whole average house for around 3500.00. ... it came with a 10yr warranty.

Now that would be an interesting proposition. Hope it's real.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our elec supplier, Idaho Power, has a tiered rate system, kind of like the tax brackets. The more you use, the higher the rate. If we start charging cars from the grid, the rates will be higher. The time of day doesn't matter.

A 280 mile range is iffy in the big west. Who wants to stop for a few hours in Bliss, ID or Burns, OR while the battery charges? No way would I take off in one toward Reno from here. If you guess wrong, it's an expensive tow job.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i read online a few months back where telsa was coming out with a complete solar system that would run a whole average house for around 3500.00. they said the battery would be basically the size of a refrigerator. they said telsa was already selling it overseas and it came with a 10yr warranty.

$3500 just gets you one battery.

You have to buy the solar system separate.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't exactly plan on unplugging anytime soon. But it does show that we're heading toward independent home generation in our lifetimes. I'm always all for anything that makes me less dependent on someone else. There's a lot of hurdles to cover first, like cost and total storage; so I wouldn't exactly reach for the checkbook yet. And I expect the power companies aren't going to let people unhook from the grid without a fight, that stuff's already going on. The power company has already crippled the solar industry in Nevada, which is one of the states that can make best use of solar. So it will be a while, but you can bet this is the future.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by SCRooster

So for $70k you have a system that can't meet your max load, and will take 30-40 years to pay off ignoring the cost of repairs and replacement batteries???

At my current average, it would take 40 years for me to break even.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How much of the battery will come from China?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see an opportunity. Camo electric cords in lengths to reach your neighbors outdoor outlets.

Of course, you could always tap directly into the power lines (no don't really try to do that)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunGeek
So it will be a while, but you can bet this is the future.

Same was said of hydro electric power..............Same was said or nuclear power, so far dinosaur juice has won out, I suspect it will continue to no matter what.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty tough to wup on drilling a hole in the ground and having and energy source come out. A bit more complex than that, but that's it in a nut shell.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I worked for a utility for 39 years. Never did I say utility companies were going out of business. In the south peek demand for electricity is in the summer, in the afternoons. If you charge your house battery or car at night during off peek, then use your car during the day to work, shop, etc, even a plug in hybrid, you might never use gasoline except on road trips. As far as your house goes, if you can install a demand meter and use, say your charged battery, as Tesla house battery envisions, you can get lower rates for power by not using it during peek demands. That is one solution getting off fossil fuels, not for green sake, but if you use nuclear power, or hydro, then one wouldn't have to use other fuels.

I think a combination of nuclear, solar in the southwest, wind in the plains states, and large scale battery storage could cut coal and fossil fuel expense. So will small scale firewood use.

Tesla is building a very large battery factory in Nevada that Elon Musk says will lower the large car/house size battery prices by half, he hopes. This alone will revolutionize things. He said about 2/3's of the price of his Tesla cars is battery, cutting a vehicle from $90k to $60k is a major cut. It puts it in the luxury car price range. Also, if the battery costs come down, he could increase the battery size in his cars and get 500 mile range. He has already cut the charging times way down by using 240v chargers. I think he is going 440 at his quick charging stations. He is also considering battery change outs at special service stations, but I think he prefers not to do that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
I see an opportunity. Camo electric cords in lengths to reach your neighbors outdoor outlets.

Of course, you could always tap directly into the power lines (no don't really try to do that)

A company in a nearby town was doing some work (I think it was UG sprinkling) and discovered a large under ground extension cord and had no idea what it was for so they dug it up and found out it went under the fence and into the neighbors yard. After an investigation was done it was found out the the guy had been stealing their electricity for nearly ten years.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I worked for a utility for 39 years. Never did I say utility companies were going out of business. In the south peek demand for electricity is in the summer, in the afternoons. If you charge your house battery or car at night during off peek, then use your car during the day to work, shop, etc, even a plug in hybrid, you might never use gasoline except on road trips. As far as your house goes, if you can install a demand meter and use, say your charged battery, as Tesla house battery envisions, you can get lower rates for power by not using it during peek demands. That is one solution getting off fossil fuels, not for green sake, but if you use nuclear power, or hydro, then one wouldn't have to use other fuels.

I think a combination of nuclear, solar in the southwest, wind in the plains states, and large scale battery storage could cut coal and fossil fuel expense. So will small scale firewood use.

Tesla is building a very large battery factory in Nevada that Elon Musk says will lower the large car/house size battery prices by half, he hopes. This alone will revolutionize things. He said about 2/3's of the price of his Tesla cars is battery, cutting a vehicle from $90k to $60k is a major cut. It puts it in the luxury car price range. Also, if the battery costs come down, he could increase the battery size in his cars and get 500 mile range. He has already cut the charging times way down by using 240v chargers. I think he is going 440 at his quick charging stations. He is also considering battery change outs at special service stations, but I think he prefers not to do that.

Let me know when he has charging stations at the boat ramp, off Forest Service road 112, in RURAL counties and gives me a truck I can pull a 2 ton boat 700 miles to the coast to go fishing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Another thing. Hydro power only produces about 5-10% of Americas demand for power. Hydro played out even before WWII as the primary producer of power. Natural gas is the primary power supply now at about 35%. Coal has fallen below natural gas. Nuclear is about 20%. Wind and solar are about 5-10% right now, but they are just getting started.

The topic was not investing in electric companies. Well, they aren't going away anytime soon. Tesla is only for small use like cars, house batteries, and they have a sister solar panel company. But home use and personal use is small potatoes compared to industrial and commercial needs. We still need massive amounts of power.

Lockheed skunkworks might be making a breakthrough in nuclear fusion within 5 years. If so, fusion power plants will eventually do away with coal and natural gas, and the old nuclear fision power plants.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Another thing. Hydro power only produces about 5-10% of Americas demand for power. Hydro played out even before WWII as the primary producer of power. Natural gas is the primary power supply now at about 35%. Coal has fallen below natural gas. Nuclear is about 20%. Wind and solar are about 5-10% right now, but they are just getting started.

The topic was not investing in electric companies. Well, they aren't going away anytime soon. Tesla is only for small use like cars, house batteries, and they have a sister solar panel company. But home use and personal use is small potatoes compared to industrial and commercial needs. We still need massive amounts of power.

Lockheed skunkworks might be making a breakthrough in nuclear fusion within 5 years. If so, fusion power plants will eventually do away with coal and natural gas, and the old nuclear fision power plants.

Actually, Testla will also be building huge batteries for industrial use. One customers placed an order for a 250 megawatt hours.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,578
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.