-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My employer deals in nasty chemicals, resins, and coating composites. They do not power or come into my home.

And yet your righteousness does not force you into another place to draw your sustenance? Strange that. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Wind and solar are about 5-10% right now, but they are just getting started.

You forgot to mention that wind and solar are subsidised by the .gov and are not self sufficient. The technology is not self supporting and either way the homeowner pays for it either through taxes or usage fee.

I'd rather stick worth dino iuice, it costs me a lot less in the end.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Slow down, pal. Wait until you have to replace and dispose of the old battery and see what that costs.

Better wait for the next round of cold fusion.
Not saying this is the end...but it's a signal of the beginning of the end.

Interesting it could power a 5 ton AC in 120 degree temps all day and night, along wiht multiple freezers/fridge and the rest of the house.

Maybe in the future, but I don't see it being any cheaper in the end... solar panels and all have finite lives.. 10 years or so and ain't cheap....

But it could well work out years from now if all got tweaked out.

I think my stock in electric stuff is just fine for the time being.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I worked for a utility for 39 years. Never did I say utility companies were going out of business. In the south peek demand for electricity is in the summer, in the afternoons. If you charge your house battery or car at night during off peek, then use your car during the day to work, shop, etc, even a plug in hybrid, you might never use gasoline except on road trips. As far as your house goes, if you can install a demand meter and use, say your charged battery, as Tesla house battery envisions, you can get lower rates for power by not using it during peek demands. That is one solution getting off fossil fuels, not for green sake, but if you use nuclear power, or hydro, then one wouldn't have to use other fuels.

I think a combination of nuclear, solar in the southwest, wind in the plains states, and large scale battery storage could cut coal and fossil fuel expense. So will small scale firewood use.

Tesla is building a very large battery factory in Nevada that Elon Musk says will lower the large car/house size battery prices by half, he hopes. This alone will revolutionize things. He said about 2/3's of the price of his Tesla cars is battery, cutting a vehicle from $90k to $60k is a major cut. It puts it in the luxury car price range. Also, if the battery costs come down, he could increase the battery size in his cars and get 500 mile range. He has already cut the charging times way down by using 240v chargers. I think he is going 440 at his quick charging stations. He is also considering battery change outs at special service stations, but I think he prefers not to do that.

Let me know when he has charging stations at the boat ramp, off Forest Service road 112, in RURAL counties and gives me a truck I can pull a 2 ton boat 700 miles to the coast to go fishing.

This also... not to mention my 5 ton RV... and power my tractor around the farm etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The future in non-automotive energy is natural gas. For autos it will remain gasoline and diesel with small displacement turbo/supercharged engines. I just bought my wife an Audi crossover (Q5) with a supercharged 3 liter V6 that just scoots while delivering decent gas mileage.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Apple is going to acquire Tesla (the whole company).

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JBARTRAM
I think Apple is going to acquire Tesla (the whole company).

Just a half a quarters cash flow for Apple.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Storage of energy, ie batteries, are definitely where it's at.

The University of South Carolina is heavily invested-in and being funded-by the battery industry to do research into next generation batteries. Some of the new technology is amazing. Lithium has been around for awhile ... we were using lithium batteries in our PRC77s in the 70s. But how far they have come is just amazing.

And now they have all these hydrogen fuel cells coming along ...

But here's the thing Dixie Dude.

Electric companies will still own it all. They are already into wind and solar leasing ... plus, don't forget, they already own most of the hydro rights.

Don't believe for a minute that the utilities are going to sit idly by and die off anything in the near future. It'll be a long long long time before energy is ever controlled solely by the homeowner.

I'm saying this as someone who has $48k in top shelf panels, mounts and trackers on my roof, and another $21k in the field behind the house, right now and another $12k in batteries, inverters and related wiring in a separate building off the house.

Sometimes it's still not enough to run the HVAC during long hot humid spells here in the summertime.

It'll be another century before they get it all worked-out enough to make it affordable to the average homeowner.

In the meantime I predict there will be a cottage industry boom for homemade solar panels from kits that will make it more affordable, and reliable, to some.

So for $70k you have a system that can't meet your max load, and will take 30-40 years to pay off ignoring the cost of repairs and replacement batteries???

Well ... we don't look at it that way.

We have power when others do not.

We had 32 days over 100 heat factor this summer with 17 of those straight up over 100 before figuring humidity. With that, we had to download grid power to bring the batteries back-up three days during peak and for a couple of hours a few times early in the mornings.

Our battery bank should be good for ten years. We're a little over two years into it now and they are still going strong.

What a lot of people do not realize is that, especially here in the sunny South, your batteries experience very little drain and strain during peak hours because the panels provide direct juice to the inverter(s) when the sun is peaking. Do you have to manage what appliances you use and when ... sure you do, but that's okay.

We sell surplus energy back to the power company. Amortized, given a ten year average prior to installing the system and taking into account credits for wattage hours we sell back to the power company, the system easily pays for itself within ten years while allowing us independence from the grid and no power outages, surges, bills to pay or obligation to allow strangers on the property to read the meter.

In essence, we are completely energy independent because we also have a Lister Peter diesel generator that we've used to bring the battery bank back up to full capacity for less than a gallon of diesel. We bought a large surplus propane generator at an auction (local chicken house farmers) that was barely used. He paid nearly $20k .... we bought it for $3,500.00.

We've got solar hot water and, along with a wood stove in the dining room and gas stove and burners in the kitchen we're covered on those fronts.

The wood stove, along with a fireplace, provides our heat on those rare winter days where it gets cold enough to need them in this part of the country.

My next project is going to be putting-in a boiler.

It's all about changing your lifestyle but IMHO it is well worth it. We do without nothing that those on the grid have, yet we're completely independent of the grid unless we choose to burn some credits for whatever reason. Being on a CoOp, our yearly checks from the power company have been impressive.

Edited to add: The tax write-off alone made it worth our while. It was win-win for us all the way around.

Last edited by SCRooster; 09/25/15.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If so, fusion power plants will eventually do away with coal and natural gas, and the old nuclear fision power plants.
It took us nearly 30 years to get back into building nuke plants, and they're going at a snail's pace (honestly, I think I could build one faster all by myself). Every step there's a court challenge. Can you imagine what the resistance from the tree hugging nutters is going to be when someone says they're going to build a fusion power plant. I don't see fusion power happening in our lifetimes. They may crack the fusion nut, but I don't see a power plant happening while I'm still breathing unless I live to be 100 (and none of you are hoping for that smirk )

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Fusion has very little radioactive waste, if any. So it will be welcomed by all and money will be spent to build the power plants. It will take high powered lasers to get it started. Once started if it can be contained, it will be a game changer.

If I am not mistaken, Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla drove one cross country recharging at his fast charge stations this past summer. From the map of the fast charge stations it is across the middle and southern part of the country. I don't think the northern route has been finished yet.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag

You forgot to mention that wind and solar are subsidised by the .gov and are not self sufficient. The technology is not self supporting and either way the homeowner pays for it either through taxes or usage fee.

Just how subsidized are they? Way too much. The Bonneville Power Admin is a federal agency that controls the power production in the northwest. A few years ago, we had a high water year. During the spring runoff, the hydro dams along the lower Snake and Columbia rivers were producing more power than the grid could handle. There are 1000's of windmills along the Columbia. The grid couldn't handle their power so they had to shut down for a month. In most industries, if they overproduce, they shut down and take a hit until the market opens up of until their inventory drops. Not in this case. BPA paid them for the power they didn't produce while they were shut down, with our tax money, of course.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's all about changing your lifestyle but IMHO it is well worth it. We do without nothing that those on the grid have, yet we're completely independent of the grid unless we choose to burn some credits for whatever reason. Being on a CoOp, our yearly checks from the power company have been impressive
So it sounds like you don't get a bill from the power company at all? Why shouldn't you? You are still hooked up to the transmission lines, correct? Why shouldn't you have to help pay for maintenance cost on those lines? If you want to be totally independent, then you should not be hooked up to the transmission lines at all.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by TRnCO
It's all about changing your lifestyle but IMHO it is well worth it. We do without nothing that those on the grid have, yet we're completely independent of the grid unless we choose to burn some credits for whatever reason. Being on a CoOp, our yearly checks from the power company have been impressive
So it sounds like you don't get a bill from the power company at all? Why shouldn't you? You are still hooked up to the transmission lines, correct? Why shouldn't you have to help pay for maintenance cost on those lines? If you want to be totally independent, then you should not be hooked up to the transmission lines at all.

You are assuming a lot.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
last I checked, question marks mean I am asking questions, no? But you can assume that I am assuming all you want if it makes you feel better.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Nuclear and coal are government subsidized as well; but for some reason no one really talks about that. So it's okay to subsidize coal and nuclear, but not wind and solar; I wonder why that is?

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
These days nuclear power is by far the most expensive of all sources. That's because our nuke plants are so old. In all states that went deregulated "stranded costs" were the big issue. "Stranded costs" are for the power companies that have nuke plants, they complained that the government made them invest in nuclear, and in a competitive market they cant compete on costs. "Stranded costs" becomes another "hidden" subsidy of nuclear power in the deregulated states. Not to mention the long term storage issues of nuclear, that's on the taxpayers dime. So there are some costs that are just absorbed by the government that never even get calculated into the "price of power".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Not to mention the batteries, inverter, charger and getting it all hooked up isn't exactly going to be free.

Without government subsidies, few people are going to be dropping $20k on a battery system and another $10k on a solar panel to charge it to save $100-200 /month on their electric bill.

Yep. If the government doesn't pay for most of it, people won't be able to afford the initial investment. Louisiana this year got rid of the tax subsidy for solar panels, and those companies are going out of business right and left.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe someone will invent warp drive before all the [bleep] hits the fan. grin

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by TRnCO
last I checked, question marks mean I am asking questions, no? But you can assume that I am assuming all you want if it makes you feel better.

Pizz poor posts, the both of them. Pointless but if you feel better...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you're hooked to the 'grid' you are in the billing. We had 2 houses on our property with separate meters. One house was completely shut off, no electric use, but the bill was still $27 a month for the meter.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,277
Posts18,505,057
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.