Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you don't like Trump, that's one thing, but no one is going to talk about making unpopular entitlement cuts during an election primary. They might talk about a few easy ones like closing the Dept of Education, Dept of Commerce, etc.

These are things everyone is in favor of, but the last thing any of these guys are going to do is bring up tough, controversial spending cuts.

Do you think seniors, who are mostly republicans, are going to be thrilled to hear about how Trump wants to raise the minimum age for Soc Security or cut benefits for wealth seniors? Do you think that will play well with voters in FL?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I suspect one massive spending cut will be the elimination of the Earned Income Tax Credit. It will necessarily be gone when the tax code is gutted. It will have to be added back. Then when the Dems want it Trump can say, "Of course, I'm for helping people. That's why I don't tax them at all." They're not going to have much answer for that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TomSmith
If you don't like Trump, that's one thing, but no one is going to talk about making unpopular entitlement cuts during an election primary. They might talk about a few easy ones like closing the Dept of Education, Dept of Commerce, etc.

These are things everyone is in favor of, but the last thing any of these guys are going to do is bring up tough, controversial spending cuts.

Do you think seniors, who are mostly republicans, are going to be thrilled to hear about how Trump wants to raise the minimum age for Soc Security or cut benefits for wealth seniors? Do you think that will play well with voters in FL?

But he's supposed to be anti-establishment and can/should say those things. When he doesn't or doesn't do so honestly he proves he's only a louder, more obnoxious version of the rest

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trump specifically said on 60 minutes he would not raise the SS retirement age.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by pal
Does anyone here really think Trump would be a good representative of this country?

Well,...I have to admit. He's not nearly as smooth of a talker as the rest of them.

But smooth talking career politicians have the country where it is right now, so it might be a good idea to try something else.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by RDW
I disagree on one point, I believe everyone should be taxed and by doing so, everyone takes ownership.

Ownership of what?

A bunch of damn debt that nobody got the opportunity to sign on for?

Government is a parasite. Taxation is theft.

Always has been, always will be.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by pal
Does anyone here really think Trump would be a good representative of this country?

As opposed to Obama?

Good for Trump that Obama lowered the bar.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Buncha damn democrats runnin' loose in this thread.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He can be anti establishment and still not alienate his base voters, at least for now. Telling people that he's in favor of tough spending cuts might be alright, but then the next question is what specific cuts? He can't just BS this question, so he has to start getting into the real stuff.

No one wants to hear about the tough decisions. If they did, we'd be talking about the Paul Ryan budget plan. Maybe some people would welcome his anti-establishment candor, but at this point, it would just give the others the chance to pile on.

Conservatives like budget cuts, in general, but no one wants their own stuff to be cut. The right things don't happen in politics because politicians are stupid, they don't happen because deep, tough cuts are really hard to get passed into law.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yup, only an idiot politician tells folks stuff they don't want to hear.

I am fully convinced Don knows that it is important to take in more than ya spend.
Than's how one accumulates a billion or two.

There ARE things that can be done very quickly. For instance, levy a very modest tax to bring overseas capital back to the USA. It generates some revenue that we were never, otherwise going to see AND it supercharges the economy without central banking make-believe.

Then make it worthwhile to get rich. ;-{>8 Did anyone ever notice what happens to people when they hang around folks like Bill Gates? I had a sister in law who worked for Microsoft and woke up one day when she was forty or so and decided there was no reason she needed to work any more, and she hasn't. Every little town should have a half dozen billionaires. Quit hating the rich and realize they are the rock stars that elevate others. The politics of envy are only productive for the ruling class. Little folks suffer.

America needs to be educated that there is an infinite number of potential pies and because someone has a lot of them does not necessarily mean they have destroyed your opportunity to bake some for yourself. The "one pie" political, economic lie needs to die.

Way back when I was a lad, JFK found out that taxes could be lowered and tax revenue increased. It's not magic, it's proven.

Just sayin.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

I think there are better candidates. I suppose we are jaded because of the current total incompetence In office.

Last edited by dale06; 09/28/15.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree that big changes need to be made. I think what Trump proposed is pretty safe, without offending any special interests specifically. I don't think it was meant to be a total budget plan, just a taste of what he wants to do. Basically a pro-growth, pro-business tax policy that most people can relate to.

Cutting corporate taxes is a no brainer. Most of these taxes end up being passed on to the consumer through higher prices. The US should be a place where corporations want to be. Allowing repatriation of assets held offshore is another idea that is long overdue.

There isn't much new that I see on the personal side, fewer brackets are probably ok. Eliminating federal estate tax won't be that big of deal for most folks, however it will benefit trump greatly, but for the vast majority of couples, $10.8 mill is a lot more than they will ever have.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I agree that big changes need to be made. I think what Trump proposed is pretty safe, without offending any special interests specifically. I don't think it was meant to be a total budget plan, just a taste of what he wants to do. Basically a pro-growth, pro-business tax policy that most people can relate to.

Cutting corporate taxes is a no brainer. Most of these taxes end up being passed on to the consumer through higher prices. The US should be a place where corporations want to be. Allowing repatriation of assets held offshore is another idea that is long overdue.

There isn't much new that I see on the personal side, fewer brackets are probably ok. Eliminating federal estate tax won't be that big of deal for most folks, however it will benefit trump greatly, but for the vast majority of couples, $10.8 mill is a lot more than they will ever have.

There ain't a guy or gal on that debate stage that ain't calling for the same thing as Trump.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

There ain't a guy or gal on that debate stage that ain't calling for the same thing as Trump.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Love the cartoon of yourself...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Social security is a chitty investment of 15.3% of your lifelong earnigs, but it's not optional.

Yet as long as earnings are taxed SS won't dip into the general fund until 2030ish.

I'm all for getting rid of/cutting SS as long as I'm given back my 15.3 in a lump sum, I don't even want interest.

I'd be a chit load better off than the stipend they dole out calling it an 'entitlement' like it's a handout and I'm a beggar.

There's a lot bigger issues in this election than SS and whether a candidate gives it top priority.

Kent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe

[Linked Image]

Rand Paul has a good tax plan.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bobhanson1
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by bobhanson1
the govt. actually works...

Dumbest phrase of the thread... Maybe of the day...

Why, too many words for you? Running up trillions in debt to give everyone a tax cut to create GDP sounds awfully like trickle down economics since the rich would get 90% of the benefit of Trump's proposed tax cuts. For govt to work we need to take in more than we spend to pay off our debts, something you clearly cannot comprehend...

Or maybe cut government employment in half as an incentive to the other half to actually do meaningful work to keep their jobs. shocked

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
...maybe cut government employment in half as an incentive to the other half to actually do meaningful work to keep their jobs. shocked

That would be a good start!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Rand Paul has a good tax plan.

who?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.