Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by SCRooster

Edited to add: The tax write-off alone made it worth our while. It was win-win for us all the way around.

Got it, government assist.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Our Co-Op sees it as competition. Jimmy Buffet's sister built a marina and restaurant near here. They decided to add wind power to lower their "grid" usage. The Co-Op said fine, but when you do use from the grid we are going to charge you a higher rate.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pizz poor posts, the both of them. Pointless but if you feel better...
Since smarty pants seems to know the answers to my questions, I'm all ears, answer away. I wouldn't have asked them if I knew the answer. SO fire away, all knowing.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Our Co-Op sees it as competition. Jimmy Buffet's sister built a marina and restaurant near here. They decided to add wind power to lower their "grid" usage. The Co-Op said fine, but when you do use from the grid we are going to charge you a higher rate.
And you're okay with that? There is SO much about that that is completely wrong. They're penalizing someone for trying to be independent...that's freaking un-American.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
And you're okay with that? There is SO much about that that is completely wrong. They're penalizing someone for trying to be independent...that's freaking un-American.

I guess you just don't understand the way economics works. The Co-op connected this business to the grid with the assumption that they would make a sufficient return on investment to pay for it. Now the business is going to generate their own power and reduce the Co-op's RTI so of course they need to charge more

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I guess you just don't understand the way economics works. The Co-op connected this business to the grid with the assumption that they would make a sufficient return on investment to pay for it. Now the business is going to generate their own power and reduce the Co-op's RTI so of course they need to charge more
I understand economics, but I guess I missed the real role of the co-op; now it makes sense.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Utilities are monopolies.

A businessman I know tried to raise hell about the deposit the Co-Op was going to charge him on a new retail development. They politely told him if you don't like it get your power somewhere else.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Funny how market economics actually works when just today a discussion on Bloomberg indicated there was now a rush of sorts to steer investments to Utilities Stocks for the dividends provided versus that of a projected long term no growth world economy.

Thus, lets not forget to not invest in Utilities (electric) Companies as initially advised by the all knowing, boy genius, G.G.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just remember there is a difference between a Coop and a Corporation. A Corporation answers to it's shareholders, a Coop answers to it's members.

G23

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Utilities are monopolies.

A businessman I know tried to raise hell about the deposit the Co-Op was going to charge him on a new retail development. They politely told him if you don't like it get your power somewhere else.
Yes they are, and it makes sense why they were setup that way, but it makes NO sense why it's remained that way.

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Funny how market economics actually works when just today a discussion on Bloomberg indicated there was now a rush of sorts to steer investments to Utilities Stocks for the dividends provided versus that of a projected long term no growth world economy.

Thus, lets not forget to not invest in Utilities (electric) Companies as initially advised by the all knowing, boy genius, G.G.
Clearly you missed the entire focus of my post, boy genius. Traditional utilities for the LONG TERM will be a declining industry as self generation & power storage becomes more and more prevalent. But for the next 30-40 years they'll do just fine. They still have a LOT of lobby power, and there's always growth through acquisition. So there's a lot they can do before the self generation and power storage thing really becomes a viable option for individual homes.

Philosophically I'm opposed to companies who bully the market through their lobbying power; that's not capitalism...and I'm a capitalist.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Not to mention the batteries, inverter, charger and getting it all hooked up isn't exactly going to be free.

Without government subsidies, few people are going to be dropping $20k on a battery system and another $10k on a solar panel to charge it to save $100-200 /month on their electric bill.

Why not?Folks drop $50,000 on a SUV that is junk in 6 years and saves you nothing.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by G23
Just remember there is a difference between a Coop and a Corporation. A Corporation answers to it's shareholders, a Coop answers to it's members.

G23

It doesn't always work that way either. Our Co-Op decided about 10% of their service needed to be moved underground, so they added a surcharge to everyone's bill. Don't like it? Find another source.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Not to mention the batteries, inverter, charger and getting it all hooked up isn't exactly going to be free.

Without government subsidies, few people are going to be dropping $20k on a battery system and another $10k on a solar panel to charge it to save $100-200 /month on their electric bill.

Why not?Folks drop $50,000 on a SUV that is junk in 6 years and saves you nothing.

Can't drive a solar panel to your job.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 44 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,801
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.