Page 17 of 24 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 23 24
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Yeah, I know.

But at least he didn't run away and cower.

Seeing you live in Minnesoduh, you should be accustomed to his MO.

Travis

I knew I'd catch hell for that. grin

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Paddler
I shoot rabbits on the ground, but just because they don't have wings.

Professor Sportsman shotguns wabbits. Funny schit.

Travis

Who said I used a shotgun? A buddy and I used to shoot jacks with centerfires, my 270 and his 280, but haven't done that in too long to remember. I rarely shoot at them anymore, and only with a .22 handgun, either a Ruger Mk II or my Anschutz Exemplar. Don't kill what I don't want to eat anymore. Don't even hunt cottontails much anymore, but when I do it's with my Kimber 82 with a Leupold scope. Head shots only so you don't waste meat.

So, Shrapnel, I see your inviting yourself down was just bravado. Too bad, I think 'fire members should meet each other.

Yep, moved here from California in 1982 after med school at UCLA, for my Family Practice residency at the U of U. Like it here, except the politics are weird.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i've killed more jackrabbits with a baseball bat than a gun, now that's sporting.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a most excellent supply of buttons and scotch tape. You can even see my home theater in person. Bring your favorite music, I guarantee you've never heard it this good before.

GAYdar is pegged at a solid 10.0

Certainly explains that hat.

Dave

Fixt
Lmao!

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i've killed more jackrabbits with a baseball bat than a gun, now that's sporting.

Makes ya want to go baby seal a paddler, don't it.

Just for the sport of it...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone here remember the Mall Ninja? If so, you might want to note a few things here.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hitting jacks on the run isn't easy. I once killed one running at 257 paced off yards with my Kimber 22LR. His unlucky day. I killed 7 one day with the Ruger Mk II, at distances between 90 and 125 yards. They were sitting, though.

I'm going to write Chaffetz today with my gun control proposal. We'll see what kind of response I'll get.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I sent the following to Jason. Punctuation got lost in the translation:

Dear Representaive Chaffetz,

I wrote the following after Newtown:

On the Prevention of Mass Murders

The recent tragedy in Newtown, like most tragedies, was not the result of one event, but rather a series of failures. It was the result of previously undiagnosed mental illness in an individual who had access to advanced weaponry capable of sustained high rates of fire. Both mental illness and the weapons capable of such destruction were required to produce this tragic loss of life.
Perhaps because this shooting resulted in the death of twenty young children and six educators, it seems the nation is more ready now than ever before to entertain measures to prevent similar occurrences in the future. One could argue that this new willingness to act is the result of the cumulative effects of so many similar events. It matters not which of these is causative, or even if other factors are responsible, the fact remains that we must act.
Various ideas have been advanced; banning the weapons involved, banning high capacity magazines, posting armed security officers in our schools, training and arming our teachers, and a more comprehensive approach to mental illness. These ideas all have their proponents, and varying degrees of merit, depending on one’s experience and point of view.
As a lifelong hunter and avid outdoorsman, it occurs to me that we may already have in place mechanisms to help prevent future disasters. We can, merely by reclassifying certain weapons, reduce access by mentally ill people to the weapons most often used in these shootings. The three most important characteristics of the weapons used in Newtown and other mass shootings are having a semiautomatic action, the capability to use detachable magazines, and the fact that they fire centerfire ammunition. Semiautomatic weapons allow rapid rates of fire, that is, they fire a bullet, eject the spent case, and load a fresh round with each pull of the trigger. Detachable magazines allow for rapid reloading of multiple rounds of ammunition in one motion. The capability of using centerfire ammunition increases the lethality of each round of ammunition, as rimfire ammunition is generally less powerful.
We already have restrictions on the ownership of certain weapons, commonly called NFA firearms. These include fully automatic firearms, referred to by some as machine guns, short barreled rifles and shotguns, and destructive devices. Fully automatic weapons are generally used by the military; the civilian versions are manufactured as semiautomatic. It is interesting to note that studies done by the military have shown that fully automatic weapons are wasteful of ammunition, as the weapon will continue firing so long as the trigger is depressed. Emptying a magazine completely in a matter of seconds actually limits the effectiveness of these weapons in many combat situations. The solution to this problem was developing the ability to switch these arms into “Select Fire” or “Burst” mode. In this mode, the weapon will fire several rounds with each pull of the trigger, but won’t empty the entire clip.
There is little practical difference in situations such as Newtown between weapons that fire three rounds versus those that fire only one each time the trigger is pulled. Both use centerfire ammunition, both require no more than pulling the trigger to fire a round and load another, and both accept detachable magazines of various capacities. Therefore, the most elegant solution to the gun control issue would be to reclassify these weapons, rifle, pistol or shotgun, as NFA firearms. They would be subject to increased restrictions for buying, owning and transferring. Just as with current Class 3 weapons, people could still buy them. Nothing would be banned, not magazines or the weapons themselves. Individuals would be required to register them with the ATF, undergo strict background checks, get a signature from local law enforcement, notify the ATF if they were to be taken across state lines, and pay a tax of $200 per item. This program could easily be applied to weapons currently in circulation.
This solution would not impact guns typically used for sporting purposes, such as hunting and target shooting. Shotguns and rifles used in these ways have typically have fixed magazines. There are a few exceptions, but small design changes could be made that would exempt the guns in question. It would not impair the ability to defend one’s home, as the weapon most recommended for this task by experts is a shotgun. It also would not affect rimfire weapons, such as 22 caliber rifles or handguns.
Reclassification of these guns should be the most acceptable approach to all sides in the debate over gun control. It would not threaten the Second Amendment, it merely compensates for the technologic advances since the days of the musket. It actually corrects a glaring oversight in our current weapon classification system. Manufacturers could still build these weapons, the public could still buy them, and it would do as well as any other proposal to keep them out of the wrong hands. This is not an immediate or comprehensive solution to the problem of mass murders, but it seems a logical component in a multifaceted approach to prevent another Newtown.

Since that writing, several similar shootings have occurred. I will admit that I have not supported or voted for you, and your recent conduct during the Planned Parenthood hearing was rude, condescending, and in the end, embarrassing for you. However, since you are in fact my representative, I would appreciate your thoughtful response to my ideas.

Sincerely,

Jon Middleton MD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to chase jacks through the fields on our dirt bikes after school.

Two bikes squeeze together at 40 or 45 mph on one and your laughing so hard ya can't even kick him.

They can cut and turn 90 degrees at full speed. Like nothing else I've ever seen.

We'd run one till he's panting so hard he just lays down.
Then we'd go flush up the next one.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Hitting jacks on the run isn't easy. I once killed one running at 257 paced off yards with my Kimber 22LR. His unlucky day. I killed 7 one day with the Ruger Mk II, at distances between 90 and 125 yards. They were sitting, though.

I'm going to write Chaffetz today with my gun control proposal. We'll see what kind of response I'll get.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Paddler just gave you Utah boys a heads up. Counter his reply with a 10-1 against response and he should receive a beat around the bush reply that will mean nothing when it comes time to vote.

There is an advantage to having the enemy pissing inside the tent in that you know who they are.

Thanks Doc, appreciate the advance warning.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

So, Shrapnel, I see your inviting yourself down was just bravado. Too bad, I think 'fire members should meet each other.

Don't flatter yourself, I don't think you would enjoy my company any more than I would yours. I don't know how you made it through medical school with your selective reading skills. Of course it is bravado, unless you would really like me to be bitch slap you...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

The recent tragedy in Newtown, like most tragedies, was not the result of one event, but rather a series of failures. It was the result of previously undiagnosed mental illness in an individual who had access to advanced weaponry capable of sustained high rates of fire. Both mental illness and the weapons capable of such destruction were required to produce this tragic loss of life.
Perhaps because this shooting resulted in the death of twenty young children and six educators, it seems the nation is more ready now than ever before to entertain measures to prevent similar occurrences in the future. One could argue that this new willingness to act is the result of the cumulative effects of so many similar events. It matters not which of these is causative, or even if other factors are responsible, the fact remains that we must act.
Various ideas have been advanced; banning the weapons involved, banning high capacity magazines, posting armed security officers in our schools, training and arming our teachers, and a more comprehensive approach to mental illness. These ideas all have their proponents, and varying degrees of merit, depending on one’s experience and point of view.
As a lifelong hunter and avid outdoorsman, it occurs to me that we may already have in place mechanisms to help prevent future disasters. We can, merely by reclassifying certain weapons, reduce access by mentally ill people to the weapons most often used in these shootings. The three most important characteristics of the weapons used in Newtown and other mass shootings are having a semiautomatic action, the capability to use detachable magazines, and the fact that they fire centerfire ammunition. Semiautomatic weapons allow rapid rates of fire, that is, they fire a bullet, eject the spent case, and load a fresh round with each pull of the trigger. Detachable magazines allow for rapid reloading of multiple rounds of ammunition in one motion. The capability of using centerfire ammunition increases the lethality of each round of ammunition, as rimfire ammunition is generally less powerful.
We already have restrictions on the ownership of certain weapons, commonly called NFA firearms. These include fully automatic firearms, referred to by some as machine guns, short barreled rifles and shotguns, and destructive devices. Fully automatic weapons are generally used by the military; the civilian versions are manufactured as semiautomatic. It is interesting to note that studies done by the military have shown that fully automatic weapons are wasteful of ammunition, as the weapon will continue firing so long as the trigger is depressed. Emptying a magazine completely in a matter of seconds actually limits the effectiveness of these weapons in many combat situations. The solution to this problem was developing the ability to switch these arms into “Select Fire” or “Burst” mode. In this mode, the weapon will fire several rounds with each pull of the trigger, but won’t empty the entire clip.
There is little practical difference in situations such as Newtown between weapons that fire three rounds versus those that fire only one each time the trigger is pulled. Both use centerfire ammunition, both require no more than pulling the trigger to fire a round and load another, and both accept detachable magazines of various capacities. Therefore, the most elegant solution to the gun control issue would be to reclassify these weapons, rifle, pistol or shotgun, as NFA firearms. They would be subject to increased restrictions for buying, owning and transferring. Just as with current Class 3 weapons, people could still buy them. Nothing would be banned, not magazines or the weapons themselves. Individuals would be required to register them with the ATF, undergo strict background checks, get a signature from local law enforcement, notify the ATF if they were to be taken across state lines, and pay a tax of $200 per item. This program could easily be applied to weapons currently in circulation.
This solution would not impact guns typically used for sporting purposes, such as hunting and target shooting. Shotguns and rifles used in these ways have typically have fixed magazines. There are a few exceptions, but small design changes could be made that would exempt the guns in question. It would not impair the ability to defend one’s home, as the weapon most recommended for this task by experts is a shotgun. It also would not affect rimfire weapons, such as 22 caliber rifles or handguns.
Reclassification of these guns should be the most acceptable approach to all sides in the debate over gun control. It would not threaten the Second Amendment, it merely compensates for the technologic advances since the days of the musket. It actually corrects a glaring oversight in our current weapon classification system. Manufacturers could still build these weapons, the public could still buy them, and it would do as well as any other proposal to keep them out of the wrong hands. This is not an immediate or comprehensive solution to the problem of mass murders, but it seems a logical component in a multifaceted approach to prevent another Newtown.

Since that writing, several similar shootings have occurred. I will admit that I have not supported or voted for you, and your recent conduct during the Planned Parenthood hearing was rude, condescending, and in the end, embarrassing for you. However, since you are in fact my representative, I would appreciate your thoughtful response to my ideas.

Sincerely,

Jon Middleton MD

Dear Dr.,

You best be ready when the democrats rise up and want to turn confiscate your $45,000 shotgun.

You never responded to the FACTS about the use of shotguns to commit murders, in many states more than all rifles including those with and without detachable mags. Now that you know the facts and are "responsible," please go turn it into the local Democratic Gestapo office.

Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Don't look now dumb ass but that's a semi auto in your pic.

How many kids do you think you could kill in one setting with that thing?

Don't preach to me about double barrels until you surrender your auto you f u c k i n g hypocrite.

I have a bunch of guns. That Benelli is sweet. In case you missed it, it wouldn't be subject to reclassification in my proposal because it has a fixed magazine. Please try to pay attention. Where did I lose you?

I just checked the FBI crime stats for weapon types used in murders. Unfortunately for your plan, in California, 29 were killed with rifles and 48 were killed with shotguns. In New York, 4 people were killed with rifles and 19 with shotguns. Michigan 16 with rifles and 23 with shotguns. Minnesota 0 with rifles, 4 with shotguns. Mississippi 3 with rifles, 8 with shotguns, Pennsylvania 20 with rifles and 22 with shotguns. Rhode Island 1 with a rifle, 14 with shotguns.

Good thing you are willing to be "responsible" and do the "right" thing. Don't worry, the government gives $200 each for long gun turned in.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...urder_by_state_types_of_weapons_2013.xls

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Very well done sir. Sadly, I am afraid the efficacy of your ideas will be lost on most here, and given the recent sophomoric antics of Congressman Chaffetz, likely him as well.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Don't flatter yourself, I don't think you would enjoy my company any more than I would yours. I don't know how you made it through medical school with your selective reading skills. Of course it is bravado, unless you would really like me to be bitch slap you...

Too bad, Shrap, looks like you're just another keyboard hero. You blew your chance at credibility. Come on down, I was serious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You aren't so smart. You are wrong from the very first paragraph. Everything else that follows is based on 2 false premises in your 1st paragraph.

#1 mental illness was not required. Scientists who study such things will tell you that there are lots of mass murders committed by sane people. You need look no further than Islamic homicide bombings to see this.

#2 "Advanced weaponry" isn't necessary either. This has been illustrated time and again throughout history. People did a lot of killing before powder was ever invented. If you want a more modern example, the Hutu slaughter of Tutsis in Rwanda was mostly carried out with machetes.

This shows your main problem - you think you are the smartest person in the room and you have an answer that the World can't work around to produce mayhem when it wants to. You may very well be the smartest guy in the room, but the collective intelligence of the population will defeat whatever statist "solutions" you come up with.

You are a living example of the hubris of the scribes and are equally as contemptible as the scribes.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Eric308
Very well done sir. Sadly, I am afraid the efficacy of your ideas will be lost on most here, and given the recent sophomoric antics of Congressman Chaffetz, likely him as well.

What do you think of the details of my proposal, Eric? Any suggestions for improvements? I tried to analyze the relevant factors and act in a surgical way. It should help prevent these shootings without unduly impacting responsible gun owners.

At least Chaffetz is in receipt of my thoughts so it's now part of the public record. He's not a statesman, he's just another grandstanding politician. I'll probably get some form letter response by a staffer which will include a request for financial support. But, if he doesn't respond in a meaningful way, the blood from the next mass shooting will be on his hands just as it is on the NRA's.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Who said I used a shotgun?

I did you stupid fugk. Pay attention.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Eric308

What do you think of the details of my proposal, Eric? Any suggestions for improvements? I tried to analyze the relevant factors and act in a surgical way. It should help prevent these shootings without unduly impacting responsible gun owners.

At least Chaffetz is in receipt of my thoughts so it's now part of the public record. He's not a statesman, he's just another grandstanding politician. I'll probably get some form letter response by a staffer which will include a request for financial support. But, if he doesn't respond in a meaningful way, the blood from the next mass shooting will be on his hands just as it is on the NRA's.

No, it will be on people like you who have beaten down everyone into drooling cowards afraid to stand up, act like men and expect them to fight back.

Standing by for your thoughts on shotguns being used to commit murder more than rifles in many states.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Too bad, Shrap, looks like you're just another keyboard hero. You blew your chance at credibility. Come on down, I was serious.

Your comprehension skills are worse than your selective reading skills. It isn't my credibility in question here, it is yours. Even a loser like me has standards and you don't meet them...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 17 of 24 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,592
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.