-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, an A-Max with an IL ring and a non-melting tip. Curiously, the 7mm 162AM has a better BC than the 162ELD-X. I think I'll stick with the AM...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
So, an A-Max with an IL ring and a non-melting tip. Curiously, the 7mm 162AM has a better BC than the 162ELD-X. I think I'll stick with the AM...

Setting aside the idea of a melting tip (they are smarter than I am so I'll reserve judgment on that) - what they've done is provide a product with an out for those people who say "Why use a match/paper punching bullet on game? It's unethical!!!" - regardless of actual performance of the AMAX on critters - there were a lot of people who wouldn't use it because it's not labeled a "hunting bullet".

Notice the focus on the tips of the OTM types - the irregularities - that's a marketing deal. Does it really matter? I don't know - I don't shoot that long, I don't shoot bergers, I don't own a Doppler. I do know that they don't look as nice and immediate thought would be - they can NOT be as consistent in the air as something with a tip like the Hornady offering. Does that really matter? Dunno - people kill big things at long ranges with OTM types and Bergers. It works obviously but we don't really know if there's an issue because I'm not shooting them myself.

At the end - Hornady has a new bullet, it's going to compete in the minds of those purchasers who say "you can't shoot match bullets at deer - need hunting bullets, but I also want to shoot long range so I get Berger Hunting VLDs"

IMO - that's what these are aimed at (pun there).

Regardless of if the heat resistant tip is BS or truth - I sincerely doubt that Hornady has introduced a bullet that is garbage front to back.

I like and use Hornady products - admit it. The Amax's I have all measured exactly the diameter they are supposed to with 2 different set of verniers. Doesn't mean much I suppose - really but they are consistent, box to box - bullet to bullet. IME

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed on all counts. Only thing is- they already have the SST for the long range/won't use match bullets on game, kinda guys.

And I agree that the OTM design doesn't seem to prevent people from winning matches due to tip irregularities...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I honestly can't believe any amount of resource is being spent on developing new schit by any component related company.

But they're obviously good at earning money so they must know what I don't.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Agreed on all counts. Only thing is- they already have the SST for the long range/won't use match bullets on game, kinda guys.

And I agree that the OTM design doesn't seem to prevent people from winning matches due to tip irregularities...

I don't know of anyone who prefers the SST and when someone mentions them to me - I think "Hornady's Ballistic Tip" more than "match bullet for meat". With the SST being .075 less in BC too - I don't know if people are substituting the SST for the AMAX their conscience won't let them buy.

Dunno how true the tip issue is or if there really is a problem with non uniform metplats and tip melting - is the problem caused measurable on targets and not only on a doppler. Kinda like watching a dial indicator bounce around - it's showing a massive swing on the dial but reality is that's 2 ten thousands of an inch.

Me

IC B2

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Many good points made. The proof is in the pudding...and I'll wait to hear from others about how their pudding "concoctions".

BTW, they appearantly tested several makes of tipped bullets:
Tech Details from Hornady

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I guess I'll keep shooting Scenars because there's nothing to melt.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, looks like they fixed a problem that didn't exist.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Changing Everything" would be comparable to inventing a flying car. These bullets are more like the invention of the heated steering wheel.

As bellydeep just mentioned, an answer to a question that didn't exist.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Let's assume they are correct

Then a 168 grain 308 @ 2700 fps can be used on a hog shoulder at 20 yards .

AND it will expand on a pronghorn at 550 yards (and have the accuracy for the shot)

If that bears out-- big "if"--It really is huge.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 10/27/15.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So knowing that the current tip material that they are using is a nonconformance , are they going to change the tip material, or is Hornady going to continue using tips that melt in other products?

Last edited by smallfry; 10/27/15.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The Hornady tests in that document are interesting. The .30 cal 200 grain LRX at 800 yards doesn't look that great.

Originally Posted by NTG
Many good points made. The proof is in the pudding...and I'll wait to hear from others about how their pudding "concoctions".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PassCreek
The Hornady tests in that document are interesting. The .30 cal 200 grain LRX at 800 yards doesn't look that great.

Originally Posted by NTG

They're naming names and making "accusations" for the lack of a better term. Not in a malicious way but definitely saying X is doing Y and I'm sure their lawyers were involved in it. So that would lead me to believe that their math and claims have to be rather right as far as they know - lest they be sued.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington had a bullet with a non-melting tip 50 or 60 years ago.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smallfry
So knowing that the current tip material that they are using is a nonconformance , are they going to change the tip material, or is Hornady going to continue using tips that melt in other products?

There's a video in the longrange hunting section that explains it.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I too noted how they politely listed some names and politely said "we have a better way of looking at it". I still think it will be interesting if others will say what they are saying... down the road.

They seem to be saying we've tested this and are confident in our findings...and you can bet others will test it...especially Mr. Litz.

Last edited by NTG; 10/27/15.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bryan solved the nose slump issue that the .338~300gr bullet was experiencing. It'll be interesting to get his thoughts on this...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess whatever they are doing is killing of the 257 120 Interlock HP. I just received a notification from Midway that it's been discontinued.

Scott
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
I guess whatever they are doing is killing of the 257 120 Interlock HP. I just received a notification from Midway that it's been discontinued.

It's still on their website; doesn't mean Midway won't carry it however.

But you guys are missing the important announcement they made. They discovered another use for that for dehydrator that sits idle after all the jerky has been made…. you can store your handguns in it! smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since they've just admitted to manufacturing a defective product, I'll stand by for the recall notice on the lifetime supply of the defective bullets I have in 3 calibers.

Can't wait for them to be replaced!

grin

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,586
Posts18,511,109
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.