Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For elk, sight your 30-06 in for 3 inches high at 100. Anything to beyond 400 is simply a matter of laying the crosshair flat across the top of his back.

You had the equipment you already needed, and were successful. It sounds like you need more practice to raise your confidence level, and new scopes and magnums aren't the solution to that.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by blairvt
Here is the story. I went out west for the first time this year and got a 6x6 bull at 405 yds with a 30/06. I realized I wasn't prepared for shooting at such long distance. I plan on going back and want to be prepared. I'm going to get a 300 win mag (unless someone convinces me something is better) and I want to scope it with some type of ballistic plex system. What's a reliable, simple to use scope for this purpose. With the set up I had I aimed 20" over the elks back and clipped the spine. I think luck was involved.

Reliable is your key word...anymore not sure I would trust Leupold.

NF 2.5-10 x 42 with their MOAR digilume reticle is the best you can do, there is not a single Leupold I would trust to remain accurate, plus this thing has parallax adjustment.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
VX-3, 3.5-10x40 CDS in yards for your best load.
The difference for me between 600 & 400 yds is NOT 200 yds in my experience.

+1 on that.

Well stated and very true.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is the story. I went out west for the first time this year and got a 6x6 bull at 405 yds with a 30/06. I realized I wasn't prepared for shooting at such long distance. I plan on going back and want to be prepared. I'm going to get a 300 win mag (unless someone convinces me something is better) and I want to scope it with some type of ballistic plex system. What's a reliable, simple to use scope for this purpose. With the set up I had I aimed 20" over the elks back and clipped the spine. I think luck was involved.

The '06 will work just fine.

Read 'Stick's posts on turrets, and follow the logic there.

A scope with good turrets, a rangefinder, a drop chart, and range time are what you need.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
blairvt,

I've shot a few animals at distance, but won't claim to have the experience of some on here (like Schrap). IME, most animals shot at distance give the shooter enough time to range and dial as well as get into a solid shooting position. There are exceptions, of course in broken-cover country. Learning to shoot dots or other on-the-glass system is quicker for broken country and will get you out there a pretty good ways when sighted appropriately. I think you are on the right track.

My rig is a 300 Win Mag with a VX6/CDS. So far, it has performed well for me. A drop chart is handy. A 7mm mag would be another good choice in my opinion, with excellent, high BC bullets available.

However, if you plan to keep things ~500, it sounds like your 30-06 with a new scope would be up to the task. Maybe spend $ for a really good scope and keep your rifle... Just throwing out ideas.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
+1

OP sounds like he's in the camp with some of us, not a sophisticated LR shooter, just a hunter wanting a better set up for the occasional long shot at game.

To me, a good yardage turret like the CDS is about as simple as it gets. Ranging reticles are usually more technical and take more expertise.

The TDS is a good reticle, simple and it works. The reason I got rid of mine, with SFP scopes you gotta be at full power for accurate results. FFP reticles work at all powers but the scopes are usually big, heavy, expensive Euro types.

The best bang for the buck is a yardage CDS, IMO.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9

You don't have to hunt elk in Louisiana to know stupid advice when you read it. You're recommending to a guy that can't connect the dots on his own with a 30-06 at 400yards to step up to a 300weatherby and a ballistic reticle? Positively idiotic.

Um, reading the OP, it sounds like he got the elk.

Just an observation.....

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My buddy just got some kenton turrets for his 30/06 with viper 2.5-10. we went out to see how she works before leaving for an upcoming hunt. spot on at 200 and 300 yards. wanted to see how it would do long range, set up a target at 500 and he shot only one round at maybe 6" left and 6" down. could be that its set up for 4000ft vs 500ft where were shooting. Maybe a little pull which can be a lot at 500 yards. But he has a piece of mind that it works and knows not to go past 600 with 06.

Honestly If I didn't have my 06 set up with the BDC scope which does work, I rather have regular reticle and the turrets. but I don't want to start all over again.

Last edited by Dre; 11/04/15.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am not an expert at LR Elk slaying but I am having trouble imagining Shrapnel strutting around like a banty rooster. However if he did so each time he killed something he would have the endurance of a tri-athlete.

The OP asked a reasonable question and was given specific answers related to the question based on a lifetime of SUCCESSFUL experience.

Then someone has to denigrate the nature of assistance offered.

Welcome to the campfire. To the OP: good question.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
shrapnel,

You AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqk! It is a fhuqking shame,that you don't have the 5 IQ Points requisite,to cypher your INCREDIBLE Dumbfhuqktitude. Wow!

Now you use "all" of your "experience","knowledge" and "results" as a Trump Card to choose Killing Glass and the drumroll reveals a fhuqking Swaro Z6 3-18x SFP fhuqking piece of schit,replete with BR reticle?!? Say that again...because that schit is fhuqking FUNNY!

Great time to wax eloquent on your vaunted 300Wby's particulars,muse boolits and correlate POA/POI intersections,as per your EPIC Goat Fhuqk. REALLY delve into the "nuances",correlating reticle subtension to focal plane and erector adjustment values and connect them dots. Laughing! If it helps,tell yourself that the chambering is unknowed to me. Re-laughing!

Talk about zero range,projectile areo form,launch velocity,impact velocity,wind slipping and how "fast" the Z6 3-18x's SFP BR reticle is to press into service. Hell...it'll gawddamned nearly allow 16MOA of subtension! Laughing! I know,I know...to "speed" things up,you drop a coupla gears,to "add capability". Re-laughing!

State yet again,how your "vast" "experience","knowledge" and "results" has made the fhuqking POS Z6 3-18x SFP BR reticle "The Holy Grail". It WILL be fhuqking funny,I can ASSURE you that. Then mebbe mention as frosting,that the fhuqking piece of schit houses a "whopping" 65MOA of erector travel too. Go ahead and Google it all,so you are "armed". Laughing!

Only a Fence-Hopping Dink Sluicing Drooling Dumbfhuqk would begin to endorse such an epic Goat Fhuqk. Congratulations? Explain how/why you get giddy about "lightning fast" subtension values that are 1.7,3.4,5.2,6.9,8.6,10.3,13.8 and 15.5 MOA in their "splendor". Couple that with your 30cal "savvy",keen boolit "selection" and extrapolate how schlepping LESS than (1) Fixed Fhuqker erector revolution worth of SFP holdoff,is of "merit". Read that again. Now one more time. Answer CAREFULLY. Laughing!

To frost that sorta incredible fhuqking STUPIDITY,one would need to go CM/Walnut,9-lugs,add a muzzle brake and rock Coke bottle glasses. Ooops!!!!!! Laughing!

The only thing you shoot is your mouth and Imagination,which fuel your Delusions and grant you enough Pretend,that you fhuqking THINK you have a first fhuqking clue. Sweetheart...you sure as fhuqk do NOT. Hint.

Do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt and should it help bolster your courage...be sure to dangle a pic of a Humpie!

Holy fhuqking schit,oh soooooooooooo fhuqking wow!. Cain't know which is funnier,the pending silence or an attempt to smooth STUPID over as a "choice"?!?

Laughing!......................

blairvt,

Shake your head,to erase everything you think you "know" about scopes,pour a cup of coffee and write the following down...so as to apply same. Facts is intellesting,to the astute. Hint.

Firstly,boolits matter farrrrrrrrrrrr more than headstamps. Few hate the '06 more than I. Mainly because few have shot the chambering more than I. In a nutshell,it is a poor trade in Performance,as per recoil investment. Too easy to slap it fhuqking silly in a short action,reap a handier/dandier parcel and tote a platform that is FUN enough to get used often. Spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial,despite it being fashionable for Drooling Dumbfhuqks to muse the opposite being the case. Facts is never not intellesting.(grin)

Anywhoo,let's do you as many favors as possible,while tossing courteous assumptions,which'll leave you an out or two. My charity and good nature is boundless in it's volume.

No matter what Make/Model your '06 is,there are some constants that'll reliably bear fruit and fixatin' them,will connect dots by default. The opening constant is twist rate,in that it'll ASSUREDLY stabilize a 155 Skinner,which is both warm and fuzzy. Hint.

Odds are,your barrel is 22" or better and coupled with the above Skinner,that means 3000fps launch velocities are soundly in the bag. That boolit happens to be a nice blend of aero form and integrity,which'll connect alotta dots in regards to flight characteristics,terminal affects,Precision and recoil quotient. Let's grant a sealevel elevation and standard atmosphere,as opening moves of extrapolation,from which to connect dots and fast track simplification. Mainly because them is WORST case scenarios,in regards to drop/drift.

With said boolit at 3000fps,a 250yd zero is arranged by being +.8" high at 50yds,+2.4" at 100yds and of course on the money at 250yds. Do not get greedy or Shrapnel schit,by painting yourself in a Coke bottle corner. Hint.

What that does outta the gate,is garner all the merit outta the chambering/boolit proper,less getting into midrange woe,which is a greater disparity betwixt Point Of Aim(POA) and Point Of Impact(POI). Nice way of sayin',you cain't make a Big Game Critter small enough,to induce POA/POI woe from the muzzle to the 300yd line(-3.4" low). So with but a lick of sense,you've mitigated any/all Critterly Scenarios from the muzzle to the 300yd line and that with a POS fhuqking '06. Them is what we in da' bidness call,making your own "luck".

Enter the 6x MQ Fixed fhuqker,it's HUGE erector travel,finite erector input value and reticle which subtends same in lineal fashion. Whatcha see,is literally whatcha get.

Now let's enter into your initial concerns and address how one arranges POA/POI intersections,at distances beyond a zero,that'd induce midrange heartache. Here's how you set,with the 250 zero...actually ZERO'd.

[Linked Image]

To split hairs at the 400yd line,with the boolit cited in the atmosphere mentioned and zero'd as stipulated,you'd need 14.8" of elevation correction...which just happens to be 1 Mil. Now Shrapnel can finger fhuqk zoom selection on her SFP'd Goat Fhuqk,fog up her Coke bottles and do her best to convince herself that she's REALLY in the "know"...but dat ain't how any cookie crumbles. Hint.

Here is that 400yd correction,dumped in the erector. "Clicks" are 1/10 Mil,50 to a revolution,which is 5 Mils and there's 8.5 total revolutions,in said glass. You will easily reap half of that,with a "flat" base,which will grant 21+ Mils of available erector travel,after zeroing the rifle at the 250yd line.

Again,the 1 Mil 400yd correction requisite,to paste crosshair intersection,to correlate POA/POI upon said victim.

[Linked Image]

Less is more and subtension constants,will bear nothing other than simplistic Precision,with unerring consistency. Most scope Manufacturers go wildly outta their fhuqking way,to fhuqk that schit up and Swaro is more glaring than most,with their Drooling Dumbfhuqkery coupling big zoom shifts,schit reticles,exceedingly modest 30mm tube erector travel and SFP. Someone with 6 IQ Points or better,would howl with laughter at the very notion and immediately getta kick outta the inherent Dumbfhuqkery associated,with dropping that many balls in one offering. Fairly fhuqking impressive actually!(grin)

To frost the ake,the MQ Fixed Fhuqker's erector,jives 100% with it's etched reticle's subtension values...so you can arrange POA/POI intersections,however mood/circumstance dictates.

This image is Chris's and you should be able to bump the bitch with your cursor and get a better eye-fhuqk outta the deal. The first tick mark below crosshair intersection is .5 Mil,the next longer mark is 1 Mil from center and it follows ascending order,to 10 Mils of total elevation subtension. You'll quickly note how easy it is to interpolate correction correlations,betwixt whole Mil and half Mil values. Again keep in mind,that the erector adjustment values follow suit in their adjustment. Such things more than sorta steal Swaro's Goat Fhuqk "thunder". Laughing!

Place the first whole Mil tick mark on a 400yd distant Elk's face and that's where the Skinner will go. EVERY fhuqking time. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Now let's muse things a leetle further down the line,while keeping your existing rifle a constant and simply squirting GOOD boolits for a change. MOA/Mils/Inches fhuqk alotta folks up and I'll never understand why?!? Many "think" that there's something new to "learn" and that they'll haveta take their shoes off,count on fingers AND toes,to extrapolate erector inputs,which will align POA/POI intersections. NOTHING could be farther offa the fhuqking mark. Simply toss your data in a Ballistics Program(JBM is very warm and very fuzzy for me),hit "calculate" and you are there. It is a typical scenario in which great data entered,yields great data calculated and glass of repute upon a proven rifle,will make dot connections a breeze,on the first pass.

Here is your '06/Skinner/250yd dope in both inches(for mind fhuqk extrapolations) and Mil correction,which can be applied via reticle or turret...even a melding of both.

[Linked Image]

The comeups and 10mph FULL value drift corrections are in 50yd increments. Want to shoot something in the fhuqking face at the 850yd line in a 25mph full value wind?!? Simply hammer the erector with 5.6 Mils of up and slide the reticle into the wind for 5 Mils of correction. 10mph full value is 2 Mils,the wind velocity is 2.5x that at 25MPH and the lineal extrapolation is a 5 Mil correction. That took about 3 seconds to input on the rifle and looks thusly.

[Linked Image]

With dope dumped in the erector for ele,wind is easily slid on the horizontal,which again easily affords 1/10 Mil correction subtension. I always factor wind at 10mph full value on all of my stock's drop charts,because extrapolating wind velocity in relation to that constant,is a literal breeze. Pun be intended. NO matter the distance,5mph wind is gonna be halfa 10mph correction,at the same angle. 15mph is gonna be 1.5x same. 25mph is 2.5x the static value's input. So if you had a friend stupid enough to place his hat at the 1000yd line and your Spidey Senses told you that there was a 2mph full value breeze wafting,then the correction would be but .5Mils at that distance. Dump 7.9 Mils in the erector and slide .5 Mil,tap the trigger and shrug your shoulders at the ease.

Here's 7.9 Mils(1000yd poke with your rifle),which is still well shy of (2) complete revolutions on the erector. Hold height at crosshair intersection and slide wind as per conditions.

You are again less than 3 seconds into the fray,to input finite POA/POI intersection. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Now if only to frost up Coke bottles once again,it is only fair to mention that a zero-stop is easily introduced into the system,which will preclude getting "lost" on an erector,housing better than TWICE the fhuqking piece of schit Swaro's adjustment "range".

With your rifle as it sets,the boolit cited and wearing a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker in the saddle,you'll easily be able to paste crosshair intersection to the 1500yd line(sub 20 Mil correction). Wherever your crosshair intersection is,when the shot breaks...is where you'll find your Skinner's resting place. Facts are never not intellesting.(grin)

Now I get it that CLUELESS Day Dreaming Drooling Dumbfhuqks gotta talk out their asses,about that which they "know" and "do" the least of and luckily for them,Imagination and Pretend are free. It's never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.(grin)

Spend 300 Clams and live a LOT. Then simply shoot,shoot,shoot and do it again. You'll quickly realize how easy it is to control POA/POI intersections and bask in the glow of rugged reliability and wide open windows of opportunity.

Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later..........................

'nut,

It's funnier than fhuqk,that it'd take you 50 Lifetimes to savvy what an incredible piece of fhuqking schit CDS is,due "all" that you "do".

Bless your heart.................

'farmer,

CDS with TDS?!? Holy fhuqking schit you are on a roll!

A 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker blows EVERY notion you are able to conjure...outta the fhuqking water.

Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Hint................

hoalie,

Perhaps have someone read this Thread to you aloud,numerous times,in the unrealistic hope that you may eventually be able to understand.

You go girl!.....................

Dre,

Don't be in a hurry,to make bad decisions. Hint.

Vortex sucks heavy ass and Vipers don't track for fhuqk. EVERY single soul who's put one on paper at 100yds and conducted a lineal tracking tests,has RAPIDLY aborted the platform in favor of Fixed Fhuqkers. They wander like a Mad Woman going to take a schit.

Dump 1000MOA++ in a Fixed Fhuqker and the bitch repeats,like it has fhuqking eyes....shot after fhuqking shot,after fhuqking shot. Hint.

Why make yourself try to get a hankerin' for the taste of a Schit Sandwich...when you could knock 'er outta Da' Park by literal default?!?

Even YOU know you are fhuqking up.(grin)

Punt before it costs you big.

Hint.........................

'iker,

Fascinating revelation of your's,to so succinctly put your Incredible Fhuqking Stupidity into context,so quickly.

Congratulations?!?

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always going to be BEST served by asking questions,rather than trying to give "answers".

Hint.

Laughing!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick,

I've actually been very happy with the CDS on the VX6. It has tracked perfectly for me and been repeatable. Have you tried one, or is this one of "them all" you mention?

We've been down this road before about you having some kind of corner on the shooting market. I do my fair share, though I'm not apt to speak down to those who have questions or have not chose to make shooting and hunting their primary hobby.

This represents what I "caught" under the press in a couple of months. Probably nearly as many scattered in the corners of the gun room and collected in the bottom of the shop vac.

In your own words, forgive me for being afforded the luxury of not having to guess...hint.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1Deernut; 11/04/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick

'farmer,

CDS with TDS?!? Holy fhuqking schit you are on a roll!

grin

Not in the same scope, Stick.

TDS was a SFP 6-18 Swaro.

CDS with various Leupolds, which works well to 400-500 yds.

I don't shoot at much stuff beyond those distances. If I did, I'd be more interested in the fine art of LR turrets.

One twist is more than enough for me.

DF

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big stick....If I didn't know better, you try to sound like a bad as* know it all. I bet you're just trying to compensate for something and maybe your avatar should be 'tiny stick'.
I Know I'm not perfect when it comes to writing, but your grammar and spelling give me a head ache trying to decipher your replies.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
30 cal 155gr Skinner? What bullet are we talking about here?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lapua Scenar

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by goalie

You don't have to hunt elk in Louisiana to know stupid advice when you read it. You're recommending to a guy that can't connect the dots on his own with a 30-06 at 400yards to step up to a 300weatherby and a ballistic reticle? Positively idiotic.

Um, reading the OP, it sounds like he got the elk.

Just an observation.....

With the set up I had I aimed 20" over the elks back and clipped the spine. I think luck was involved.

Bless your heart.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sorry you don't get it, but that's not my fault. If experience is strutting like a Banty rooster, you are an egg that hasn't even been layed yet.

The op mentioned going to a 300 mag and a ballistic reticle, I just responded accordingly. You on the other hand, went off on a sidetrack about dials and turrets.

Just let it rest and quit derailing this thread due to your limited experience and poor comprehension skills.

My apologies to blairvt, but if you are still seeking any more advice, feel free to pm me...

Shrap

Its pretty comical hearing about your vast experience and you are incapable of using turrets. I think you're the one with reading comprehension skills - the rifle was a side note, he was asking about scopes and the most simple to use system. I simply stated my opinion. Everything else has been a response to you quoting my posts and directing your comments at me. Take your own advice.

Curious why you go out the way to avoid the question about the number of rounds you shoot per year.

GFY

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Curious why you go out the way to avoid the question about the number of rounds you shoot per year.

GFY

David

David, strictly asking out of curiosity....... Are you of the mindset that he who shoots the most rounds per year is a more effective hunter/killer?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

hoalie,

Perhaps have someone read this Thread to you aloud,numerous times,in the unrealistic hope that you may eventually be able to understand.

You go girl!.....................

So, you're saying he DIDN'T get the elk?!?!?!?!

Laff'n

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.