-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought about deleting my earlier post about Ken out of respect of other members here that think of him as one of the last names in the glory days of Shooting and Hunting magazines.
Does anyone know the story about why Bill Ruger turned on Ken?
That would shed a lot of light on why Ken, is Ken.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Where'd Ken get his PhD from?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I'm glad to call Ken a personal friend.

But..... I don't expect perfection from my friends.

Once "Veneration of Elders" is no longer an important part of a culture, that culture is in a death spiral.It can only get worse, never better.

Because of Ken, we have witnessed that downward spiral in the "Campfire Culture". For instance,if you dislike me because of things I post on this forum, you have harmed neither yourself, me, or the forum. But, if you resent me because I'm 74 YO and refuse to die, you have harmed both yourself AND the forum.But you've done me no harm.

It's even more prevalent in the general population of this country, and THAT does not bode well for our future.

There it is....

My wife and I were received kindly into Ken's home in Quemado some years back and had a pleasant visit. Enjoyed his company too at the Quemado gathering a couple of years ago.

Got absolutely no complaints against the guy, and even if'n I did I'm of the forgiving sort, especially when it comes to material things. 'Twould be nice if we meet in Heaven some day.

As for family, you can pick your friends, but not your family. In my line of work I have interacted with thousands of parent/kid combinations, more'n enough to know that the degree of contact within a family in later years can be all over the map, justified or not. None of my business anyhow.

I hope that wool blanket is still keeping him warm.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I'm glad to call Ken a personal friend.

But..... I don't expect perfection from my friends.

Once "Veneration of Elders" is no longer an important part of a culture, that culture is in a death spiral.It can only get worse, never better.

Because of Ken, we have witnessed that downward spiral in the "Campfire Culture". For instance,if you dislike me because of things I post on this forum, you have harmed neither yourself, me, or the forum. But, if you resent me because I'm 74 YO and refuse to die, you have harmed both yourself AND the forum.But you've done me no harm.

It's even more prevalent in the general population of this country, and THAT does not bode well for our future.

There it is....

My wife and I were received kindly into Ken's home in Quemado some years back and had a pleasant visit. Enjoyed his company too at the Quemado gathering a couple of years ago.

Got absolutely no complaints against the guy, and even if'n I did I'm of the forgiving sort, especially when it comes to material things. 'Twould be nice if we meet in Heaven some day.

As for family, you can pick your friends, but not your family. In my line of work I have interacted with thousands of parent/kid combinations, more'n enough to know that the degree of contact within a family in later years can be all over the map, justified or not. None of my business anyhow.

I hope that wool blanket is still keeping him warm.

Birdwatcher

I echo this. I am one of the ones that refuse to candy coat. I tell it the way I see it. Like it or NOT. I personally know of way too many "friendships" on various forums that really are not friendships in the first place. Just people trying to use/manipulate others for their own advantage. When this is discovered the result is usually a barrage of name calling. I have only made a few good friends in my entire life. Several are right here on the campfire. OTOH, some that I thought were are NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This "know it all" and "better than thou" attitude is turning our society rancid.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by CCCC
For those who may have experienced a multitude of hours with and for Ken, this thread can be VERY interesting - and revealing.

unfortunately it is, isn't it?
all started to advise people of a guy's email address and a method of contacting him. And that's pretty much it. Perhaps i didn't word it properly.

You worded it exactly how Ken would, but of course it was a strictly harmless post only notifying people of his email address.

CLASSIC Ken Howell, passive/aggressive in your original post.

Sorry that so many back door SOB's are offended. There are a WHOLE bunch of chickensheit 'Christians on this site. Enough to gag an Apostle.

I love your sense of humor. That one made me howl out with laughter.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
For those who may have experienced a multitude of hours with and for Ken, this thread can be VERY interesting - and revealing.

all started to advise people of a guy's email address and a method of contacting him. And that's pretty much it. Perhaps i didn't word it properly.

You worded it exactly how Ken would, but of course it was a strictly harmless post only notifying people of his email address.

Except he did not list the email address.

I find these threads proclaiming "I am leave" to be self serving with little to no good achieved. If one is leaving, just leave without all the drama.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

I find these threads proclaiming "I am leave" to be self serving with little to no good achieved. If one is leaving, just leave without all the drama.

This may bring you some insight into Dr. Howell, and how he thinks:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...880/type/thread

Re: "Gun Writer" Backgrounds - 08/28/06 Posted by: Ken Howell

Solomon was never wiser than he was when he wrote (in Proverbs 27:2) "Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips." And a worthy additional advice is "don't publicize facts about yourself that others see as self-praise or bragging." The link between Proverbs 27:2 and Matthew 7:6 may be slight and ephemeral, but it's there.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Miss Lynn; 11/12/15. Reason: Addition as the link is crap
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Link doesn't work for me, Miss. Lynn

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

This may bring you some insight into Dr. Howell, and how he thinks:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...880/type/thread

Re: "Gun Writer" Backgrounds - 08/28/06 Posted by: Ken Howell

Solomon was never wiser than he was when he wrote (in Proverbs 27:2) "Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips." And a worthy additional advice is "don't publicize facts about yourself that others see as self-praise or bragging." The link between Proverbs 27:2 and Matthew 7:6 may be slight and ephemeral, but it's there.
Link goes to "File not Found."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Link doesn't work for me, Miss. Lynn

This is how I found it, the first link titled "Gun Writer".

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just remember his plea "help me get a .45 acp"

I thought, holy chit he's really gonna do it. But guess he chickened out.

lol

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

I pity Ken. The Dr. everyone refers to is somewhat questionable. I have been close enough to his contemporaries in the industry to know some unsavory characteristics and reasons for his isolation from printed media.

How he handles himself in his life is his business, but he has singlehandedly built his reputation here, mostly through his own view of his greatness.

His plea recently for help to get a 1911 as he couldn't afford it, hoping for assistance from the good will of campfire members, was telling of his real position in the world of gun companies and the writing industry. I know many connected people that wouldn't have needed more than the slightest suggestion of guns or gear, and they would have UPS back up to their door full of boxes.

I pity Ken, wish him no ill will, but his deception of who and what he really is, is an injustice to the Campfire and its members...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by milespatton
Maybe I was wrong. miles

We see others for who "WE" want them to be, not who they really are. Hard thing is when we find out they are not, we refuse to admit it to ourselves, and even if we do, we dare not tell others we were wrong, as it is us who looks the fool, not the one who fooled us.

Truth is, I like you, always have, I like your posts, your thoughts, and just you in general and the way you seem to be. I don't think I am wrong about you, I do think that Mr Howell has his ways, and they hurt people, and he justifies them with age and sickness, and that is wrong, deeply wrong. I am sorry that between the "picture" incident and the "Dr Howell" situation, that we were actually brought to negative words and feelings between each other, it is definitely a loss for me of friendship and fellowship.

In the end Dr. Ken Howell should not define ANY of our lives, or our opinions and feelings about others around us. Our opinions on him are just that, they are built by our own experiences with him. You did not walk in my shoes as I accumulated my first hand knowledge of Dr. Howell, nor was I with you as you accumulated yours, therefore we are each entitled to our own thoughts and feelings towards him.

As for Dr Howell being picked on, it seems strange that RoninPhx would have nothing more to do here on the Fire except to "I persist in seeing little shots taken at Ken Howell", and then out of the blue start posting all over this site and stirring up a pot of hell that he himself will pay for, one way or the other. RoninPhx has been the purveyor of little shots in his past postings, as many including myself have done here also, so I doubt he has any room to speak.

All in all, Dr. Ken Howell, is something different to everyone on this forum, many of those on this site adore him, I do not, but in no way, shape, or form, should that change my opinion of them as related to the way we are with each other.

Dr. Howells' life is his own, it does not contain me because of the manner in which he spoke to me and treated me, my life is my own, and never the twain shall meet again, and in truth my life is still rich, still strong, and still full of love for God and all who make up my circle of family and friends. I pray Dr. Howell has many positive things in his life so that his time on earth will have been worth the struggle we all face each day.

Lynn

Last edited by Miss Lynn; 11/12/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Miss Lynn,

Very insightful and well done.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

Miss Lynn,

Very insightful and well done.

Steve

Yep..... and on one of his [understandably] rare "good days", Ken Howell would agree with your comment.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

IIRC, Ken never completed his dissertation for a Ph.D. The school where he was conducting his studies went belly-up before he could complete it. Ken does have a Th.D., a doctoral degree in Theology which was based on his studies in hermeneutics. The Th.D. is from the same school that went belly-up. Don't recall the name of the school.

Last edited by carbon12; 11/12/15. Reason: added stuff
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here we go again with another testimonial but...I've never met Ron in person, but have interacted with him here on the fire for years. More so than I ever did with Ken. Ron is one of the most solid guys on the fire. He doesn't jump to conclusions or fly off the handle. Regardless of what anybody thinks of Ken, I'm quite sure that Ron did what he thought was right in this situation.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Here we go again with another testimonial but...I've never met Ron in person, but have interacted with him here on the fire for years. More so than I ever did with Ken. Ron is one of the most solid guys on the fire. He doesn't jump to conclusions or fly off the handle. Regardless of what anybody thinks of Ken, I'm quite sure that Ron did what he thought was right in this situation.

There is no need to defend RoninPhx, if you read what I wrote, as with all of us, his opinion on Dr. Howell is HIS opinion, his actions are HIS actions, the result is HIS result. I have no fight with RoninPhx, because I understand.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

IIRC, Ken never completed his dissertation for a Ph.D. The school where he was conducting his studies went belly-up before he could complete it. Ken does have a Th.D., a doctoral degree in Theology which was based on his studies in hermeneutics. The Th.D. is from the same school that went belly-up. Don't recall the name of the school.

So his doctoral degree is in bullchit?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I've met Ron and Ken both.

I got the same email Ron got.

If he wanted to stir the pot, there was material in there that would have served THAT purpose if he had simply copied it.

In this instance, at least, it appears Ron was just doing something Ken asked of some of us.

I declined. It's proven to be a wise choice.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.