Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#10719627 11/21/15
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I recently bought a low mileage 2002 Ford F350 crew cab, long bed.
The wrong size tires are on it, as for some reason, the previous owner put 70's on it, instead of 75's.
When I brought it home, my wife says it looks like a rez rocket, and needs lifted and bigger tires put on it.
Fine, but.....
We bought it for traveling, and pulling our 5th wheel.
The 7.3L, under the hood, has the full Banks upgrade, so power isn't an issue.

I'm going to go 4 inches. The garage who is going to do the work suggested maybe 4 in front, and 2.5 in the rear to level it, and " for only 500 bucks more, we can ad air bags for when you are hauling"
Sounds good, but I don't care about the rake, and 500 bucks can go towards seat covers, and floor mats.

For tires, I'm looking at 285/75/16's. I don't have to buy new rims, they are still 10 ply, and big enough (32.5") to make it look better, BUT, not big enough to effect the speedo,and power very much. That's based on the tire places computer.

So. You guys with lift experience, what would you do ?
It also has a drag up tank with electric pump, and tool box in the bed already.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just make sure sure all the front end geometry is right

Last edited by stxhunter; 11/21/15.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm going to go 4 inches. The garage who is going to do the work suggested maybe 4 in front, and 2.5 in the rear to level it,
Pickups aren't supposed to be level. They're made to haul a load and that will level them when needed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I see a lot of those "leveled" trucks with toy haulers heading out on weekends. They are the ones with the headlights up at 45 degrees. I would lift the same all around unless you are building a street only, no tow brodozer.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Single rear wheel? 4x4?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm a big proponent of Air Bags. I have heard horror stories of incorrect installations causing premature failure of differential internals. Might wanna study up on it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+ 1 on the airbags. Level ride height when unloaded. Pump up when trailering or hauling. I have them on my Duramax Silverado and would recommend them.

Unless you are lifting the truck to put 35-40" tires on it, I don't know why you'd put a lift kit on it. It looks nice but they are a pain to crawl in and out of on a daily basis and it will likely require lifting your fifth wheel or other wise accounting for the height difference between the two.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by splattermatic

Not install any more lift kits.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

For tires, I'm looking at 285/75/16's. I don't have to buy new rims, they are still 10 ply, and big enough (32.5") to make it look better, BUT, not big enough to effect the speedo,and power very much. That's based on the tire places computer.

Just got rid of my '03, same configuration as yours, had 285/75-16's on it the entire time, with no lift and no issues.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just turned 78 and I need a lift kit. And I do not even own a truck.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
I just turned 78 and I need a lift kit. And I do not even own a truck.

How does somebody as stupid as you live to be 78?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It is easy. All I have to do is be smarter than you.

I have owned several trucks. Never saw any need to lift them.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Not install any more lift kits.

Travis

This here. If your running stock tires, and you should, leave it alone. Air bags would be fine for big loads or just to stabilize your fifth wheel.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe you need a lift kit for a 5th wheel towing truck, like you need a hole in the head.
Air bags, on the other hand, serve a very real practical purpose.
The ability to tow your trailer level provides a lot of advantages. I have not seen a setup that would benefit from being 4" higher.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A lift kit will screw up your handling and fuel mileage, and is definitely not a plus for towing. The only rationale for them is for off road use, where the ground clearance is needed. Put proper size tires on and enjoy. I do believe air bags are a plus for towing and heavy hauling, though.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Just make sure sure all the front end geometry is right

This ties in with my original thought that the thread was going to be about foundation garments for the ladies.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'd be more apt to go with leveling blocks in the front and air bags for hauling I the rear. I've leveled every truck I've had from a Dodge Dakota to a 99 Cummins and after an alignment, I've had no ill effects from front leveling blocks. Those air bags will keep the bed level when hauling. A 250/350 frame should allow 34-35" tires after leveling the front only.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Proper tires and GOOD air bags will do the job just fine. The lift kits are a PITA and waste of money IMHO.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Will you have enough bed rail clearance you won't hit the bed the first pot hole you hit? Then you run into all the fun stuff like drive line vibration, broken u-joints, etc. I wouldn't lift a tow vehicle.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Points all taken.
First, it's NOT a daily driver. It's only uses are for road trips, and hauling a 42' 5th wheel with 4 slides, and on in the mountain trips, add 900 pounds for filling the drag up tank.
Second, the 5th wheel levels my Dodge dually. If I level the Ford, that means when loaded, it be squattin. If I leave it normal rear high rake, it'll level the truck.
The camper rides level with a higher sitting Dodge, adding a lift to a low sitting Ford will equal the heights.
Oh, single axle rear, 4wd.

Last edited by splattermatic; 11/22/15.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.