Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GG-

That is tough to hear! You are too young to be going through such a thing.

A couple years ago, a friend of a friend dropped dead dragging a deer. Heart attack. He was in his early 50's. Please take it seriously.

Best of luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I agree with Jeff on this issue Gopher. Just reflect on how much you are willing to help others, and then you will see how much your friends are willing to help you.
Example is my kayaking. I can get into the boat, but it's almost impossible with my arthritis, to get out without just rolling over into the water.
I now rely on my paddle buddies to grab my hands, and bodily pull me out of the dang thing.
We all get a laugh, I get to keep paddling, and my friends don't mind helping me a bit. As Tony, my main paddle companion says, 'that's what friends do'.

Sam......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jeff, don't push yourself... a deer isn't worth your life my friend...have folks with ya that can haul it out...

keep us posted and you know you will be on my prayer list....

didn't recall you had CHF or COPD....

you be safe my friend...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Any day spent in the hunting woods is not lost, whether we are doing the shooting, or just spending time doing leg work. I have had "companions" who never even drew a license spend as much time and effort and I did. It is only fair to pay it forward. You can also ask for solitude until the difficult stuff comes along (gutting, dragging). Think of the times you have helped a stranger, a friend, or had help from someone you do not know.

It is tough to stare mortality in the face, but we all have to.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
gopher gunner that is bad news hope things get better for you. I have helped older friends get their animals out lots of times and was glad they were there for the hunt.

Go hunting with your friends and let them help they will enjoy you company.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Sorry to hear this. Were you on statins prior to the damage to your heart? Statins suppress production of Co-Q-10, thus leaving the heart vulnerable to viral damage. If this is the case, and you were not prescribed a Co-Q-10 supplement, your doctor was negligent.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff,

Last year I watched a head lamp come very, very slowly out of a brushy swamp. When I left my stand I walked past where it was headed to. Here was an old guy in his 80s dragging a small buck by it's hind leg. He dragged it out to his truck and didn't kill himself, but he had no idea how he was going to get it into the back of his 4WD lifted truck. Do I find out you did something that dumb and croaked yourself be advised I will hunt you down and give you what for.

You have my cell phone number.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hate to hear this GG...do what your Doctor says and keep moving! If you stop moving...you'll stop moving!

Just get some exercise wherever and however you can!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wishing you the best, one of the great things about hunting with buddies is being around to help each other out, if needed! I do hunt alone alot myself, I was told to get a plastic Jet sled, I did and you can move alot of fire wood or a deer, even with out snow! just got in from bringing in a blind 1/4 mile off the road in 8 inchs of wet snow, used the sled, got the blind, chair, and carpet stakes ect. Iv got a good heart so far but a bum leg, just move alot slower.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff,

Last year I watched a head lamp come very, very slowly out of a brushy swamp. When I left my stand I walked past where it was headed to. Here was an old guy in his 80s dragging a small buck by it's hind leg. He dragged it out to his truck and didn't kill himself, but he had no idea how he was going to get it into the back of his 4WD lifted truck. Do I find out you did something that dumb and croaked yourself be advised I will hunt you down and give you what for.

You have my cell phone number.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hate to hear this GG...do what your Doctor says and keep moving! If you stop moving...you'll stop moving!

Just get some exercise wherever and however you can!

about the best advice given on this post

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Hang in there GG. I've been dealing with CHF (cardiomyopathy) caused by virus for (12) years. Had to have open heart surgery last January to replace mitral valve & am back to where I was a couple years before surgery. I agree, it is VERY frustrating to not be able to do things you used to do, but [bleep] happens, and we have to deal with it! I'm reluctant to ask for help also, but, in most cases, I do or avoid the task. In fact, was thinking of going out to my deer blind as I read your post. Then it occurred to me, I would need some help if I killed anything; so here I am talking to you! I'm 77, so some of my problem also stems from old age (better than the alternative!). I just returned from an elk hunt in WY (unsuccessful) that I referred to as my last shot to kill an elk. Disappointing, but life goes on. Follow your Cardiologist's advice & hang tuff; Good Luck. Feel free to PM me if I can help in any way.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know what you are going through, if i had to drag a deer anywhere i would have to give up deer hunting just like i had to give up Elk Hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't ever discount how much it means to those of us that can help also.

My buddies dad is pushing 90 now. Keeps saying he will quit. But keeps after it.

Its all I can do to try to make sure we can get him to the stnad, make sure everything he needs he has, and get the deer and get it cleaned for him when done. If his boys are busy, then I jump in and do it, or at least help.

I"ve sworn that when he says he can no longer get in the stnad I"ll build him a "front" part of a stand he can drive up into and just roll the jeep window down and keep on keeping on.

Means the world to me to see him keep going as long as he can. Who cares if all he does is sit and enjoy and occasionally pull the trigger if he wants to! We can and love to do the rest.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I will do everything possible to avoid asking others for help in the woods. I just don't feel like I have the right to take away from others precious time afield. I'm supposed to be the one out helping others, not vice-versa. I've put off getting a 4-wheeler, both on principle, and on finances, but that time is coming soon. Thanks for eveyone's input. I got an appointment with my heart team in a couple hours here. Hope to know more then.

Thanks again, guys.

Wrong attitude gophergunner! Some of the best times I have ever spent in the woods was helping friends. Either putting up stands hauling out game or getting them "un stuck". They would do the same for me without question. All they have to do is call and if there is any way, I'll go. I wouldn't trade a minute of those times for all the tea in China.

Watch yourself, do what the Dr's say to do and use your friends!

Harry
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, the doc says I'm retaining water more than I should. All the other tests looked good-B.P., pulse, potassium, all good. They increased my Losartin to twice a day to make me pass more fluid. Told me to tighten up on my salt consumption, and get as much exercise as I can tolerate. Hoping this treatment regimen turns the corner for me. New doc I haven't seen before-very easy on the eyes. My wife went with though so that wouldn't have worked out too well.....

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't forget that these young punks NEED to have old guys badgering them about doing all the work. It's GOOD FOR THEM! Won't hurt them in any damn way and will be good for them in many ways. Don't apologize for requiring help, you're the one doing them a favor!

And don't forget it ya old cripple! Do yer part and shoot a 1200 lb. moose!

LOL
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Well, the doc says I'm retaining water more than I should. All the other tests looked good-B.P., pulse, potassium, all good. They increased my Losartin to twice a day to make me pass more fluid. Told me to tighten up on my salt consumption, and get as much exercise as I can tolerate. Hoping this treatment regimen turns the corner for me. New doc I haven't seen before-very easy on the eyes. My wife went with though so that wouldn't have worked out too well.....

Sounds like you might be feelin better. ;-{>8

Godspeed.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Don't forget that these young punks NEED to have old guys badgering them about doing all the work. It's GOOD FOR THEM! Won't hurt them in any damn way and will be good for them in many ways. Don't apologize for requiring help, you're the one doing them a favor!

And don't forget it ya old cripple! Do yer part and shoot a 1200 lb. moose!

I'd be happy to help someone wiht a 1600 pound moose even. But not a pound over. LOL

Gopher, with the fluid retention, obviously its no salt intake, there are other seasonings... and LIMIT your fluid intake on top of it. Tis not easy, but it makes life much easier. Not fun but easier.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

this sounds pretty good GG. Im also with the others that say put the young guys to work!

Hell I don't have CHF and I don't have a problem letting the youngsters grab an antler and start dragging!

( One of the few benefits of getting old!) grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.