Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If one is going to carry a gun, one should be proficient with it. Seems pretty logical to me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
None of which has anything to do with a slow fire, 50 round drill at 3 yards that lasts 15 minutes.

Instead of just shooting the drill or just shrugging and thinking "I don't want to", people start talking about why they can't shoot-why other people shoot more. Lots of typing, not much shooting.
Are you talking to me? I've got a target in my back yard about a hundred yards from where I sit. Set up is what prevents me from doing more. Lots goes into practice that ain't practice. I keep my guns clean and ready. I've got some calls to make and some stuff to do pretty quickly, or I could be out shooting right now...Of course I'd have to wade through mud to do it. My "range" isn't inside, heated, a/c'ed, etc.

I'm probably coming off as griping about cops getting to shoot. Cops shooting a lot is a good thing as long as they're a good cop. I was just explaining some of the aspects of average guys' and their "training" and "practice" and why it differs from somebody who is a professional.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If one is going to carry a gun, one should be proficient with it. Seems pretty logical to me.

You've been on this forum long enough to know logic rarely if ever enters into the equation.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by NH K9
[quote=The_Real_Hawkeye][quote=Bluedreaux][quote=The_Real_Hawkeye]
Here......you're whining about having one hour and 100 rounds to work with. This course of fire meets your parameters..... He's wondering if you're actually going to shoot or continue to talk. I know where my money is.....
I was whining??

Sure had that "tone". Maybe a failed attempt at snarky/smarmy......Either way, the 50 round course meets your mere mortal criteria.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RWE
Scenario:

A negro boosts your pit.

He stops at 50 yards to get into his green truck.

What do you do?

Call 911 wave goodbye to the dog.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shoot the pit...and hope the bullet over penetrates.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Where did the dog get a green truck?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by whelennut
Originally Posted by RWE
Scenario:

A negro boosts your pit.

He stops at 50 yards to get into his green truck.

What do you do?

Call 911 wave goodbye to the dog.

50 yards......close the distance enough that you can hand him gas money for carrying the dog off?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am a civilian and I was talking to my concealed carry instructor and he just laughed when I told him about this forum.
He said there is no way you could convince a judge that you were defending yourself from a threat at 50 yds away.
So all the talk about flat shooting, accurate handguns is not an issue in Minnesota.
What I want is something to defend against home invasion. Which would be a twelve gauge or a second choice would be a 45 acp

I will start the pop corn.
whelennut

i've always felt that respectable handgun accuracy at 50 yards was a good skill to have. when i'm out at the range and shooting various stagings at closer ranges, i usually conclude by shooting at 50 yards--both supported and unsupported. targets are either paper plates, steel, or milk jugs.

in general however, i place most emphasis on 25 yards and under. back in 1988, i designed a target and guidelines for this exercise that other shooters dubbed "Jerry's Standard" to sharpen skills with--and to use scores from each session as a "benchmark" for reference. any sidearm will work, and it was deliberately designed to be compatible with 5-shot snub revolvers so often carried for self defense. (i'll note that .22 rimfires are great for getting one's feet wet in this type of shooting).

the target is made from butcher wrap, which comes in rolls 18 inches wide. cut a piece off the roll that is 30 inches long. you work on the side of the paper that is not waxed. using a pencil, a yardstick, and a scissors, make a target with the dimensions as shown below. note that the red lines are part of the directions in how to make the target--nothing more. when the target is finished, you will have a silhouette sporting a long, narrow rectangle, and a "u" shape around the rectangle. these lines are very lightly drawn in pencil, so they are barely visible. once you have one made, you can use it as a pattern for the others. my wife and i make a couple dozen of these at a time on the kitchen table. (hope my hasty measurements were all correct).

[Linked Image]

to shoot the Standard:

from the "low ready position" at the beep, or a partner's signal:

5 shots at 25 yards in 5 seconds or less;

5 shots at 20 yards in 4 seconds or less;

5 shots at 15 yards in 3 seconds or less;

5 shots at 10 yards in 3 seconds or less, firing with weak hand;

score is 5 points in the inner rectangle; 3 points in the section immediately outside that inner rectangle; 1 point for anything outside of the previous two areas. if a round breaks a line, you get the higher point value. total points are 100, for a perfect score of 100%.

(note: if you want to fire these from a draw, lengthen each time given above by one second--ie., 5 seconds at the 25 yard line changes to 6 seconds).

this target is designed to assist one in acquiring CNS hits. the Standard covers many desirable skills, such as target acquisition, precision at longer ranges, shot placement (most fire somewhat low their first time, hitting at or below the diaphram), etc., etc.

over the past 27 years of watching a cross section of various shooters perform this course of fire, some things i've noted:

most shoot too fast, doing poorly in shot placement;

most score below 50%;

most shots fall far too low;

often, shots fall to the side of center;

shooting the Standard will test your mettle, and it took a lot of effort for me to push my scores into the mid to upper 90's using a self defense rig, such as a Hk P7, Sig P226, Hk USP in 9 mm, Colt Commander in 9 mm, etc...

no, it's not a "perfect" exercise--there is no "THIS IS THE WAY", but it will help sharpen skillsets. as one gains some experience, it can be easily modified to meet your specific needs...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Shoot the pit...and hope the bullet over penetrates.

They WAY over-penetrate on Pits.

His bitch had connections...

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SargeMO

His bitch had connections...

LOL

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Today's situation in San Bernadino is a good example of why it's good to be able to shoot at longer distances. Say you are in a position where you want to or NEED to stop an active shooter in a public environment.

As has been stated, "You get the fight you get.....not the fight you want!".

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by GunGeek

When I took Ayoob's LFI way back in the '90's, I recall him talking about a case where someone shot a man holding a J frame S&W on him. The range was "long" (but I don't recall how "long"). Ayoob was called to testify because the DA chose to press charges on the grounds that a J frame at that range was no threat (I'm thinking it was somewhere between 25-50 yards). So Ayoob took out a J frame (on video) and put 3 our of 5 rounds onto a man sized target at 100 yards, which pretty much shot down (no pun intended) the DA's case.

Either that story is part of an incredible imagination, or they encountered the stupidest DA on the planet.

Travis

Walter Mitty is day dreaming again.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
None of which has anything to do with a slow fire, 50 round drill at 3 yards that lasts 15 minutes.

Instead of just shooting the drill or just shrugging and thinking "I don't want to", people start talking about why they can't shoot-why other people shoot more. Lots of typing, not much shooting.

Talking about not shooting. Where's our monthly drills?

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's posted. Dot Torture.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The DT looks good.

Thanks Mav.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by GunGeek

When I took Ayoob's LFI way back in the '90's, I recall him talking about a case where someone shot a man holding a J frame S&W on him. The range was "long" (but I don't recall how "long"). Ayoob was called to testify because the DA chose to press charges on the grounds that a J frame at that range was no threat (I'm thinking it was somewhere between 25-50 yards). So Ayoob took out a J frame (on video) and put 3 our of 5 rounds onto a man sized target at 100 yards, which pretty much shot down (no pun intended) the DA's case.

Either that story is part of an incredible imagination, or they encountered the stupidest DA on the planet.

Travis

Walter Mitty is day dreaming again.

A FOS faceoff?

Gibson vs. Ayboob!

Who can fill the room most fastest?

TFF.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It's posted. Dot Torture.

I missed it.

I have been spending to much time on the rifle range and haven't shot a pistol much lately. It should be ugly.....lol.

Dink

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
So if I'm walking in my yard and a guy starts slinging shots at me for 150 yards I should just accept death?

It's according to how good you are with a hand gun at 150 yards.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Today's situation in San Bernadino is a good example of why it's good to be able to shoot at longer distances. Say you are in a position where you want to or NEED to stop an active shooter in a public environment.

As has been stated, "You get the fight you get.....not the fight you want!".

In Minnesota you might get charged with second degree murder.
They have an aversion to people acting out what they see in Chuck Norris movies.

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.