Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've used the search function and found some info on Boyd's laminate stocks. But still have some questions. Currently I have a Rem 700 XCR II in .25-06. I have been thinking I would at some point get a B&C Alaskan. I know it's not a McMillan but it is stiffer than the factory Tupperware. Was on midway's site looking at the stocks and came across the Boyd's classic. I've had a laminate in the past and know they are heavier than many synthetics, but also pretty stiff. How much can I drill/dremel and lighten a Boyd's? Anyone have pics of their Boyd's on a matte blued rifle? Anyone duracoted a barrel/sniper gray or graphite with the nutmeg? What about painting the laminate itself?

Thanks,

Phil

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Boyd's are probably cheaper thru Boyd's themselves...

they do have options to hollow them out if you want lighter...

Nutmeg and Grey are their most commonly sold ones...

you didn't specify whether you desired to see a pic of one in which color with a matte blued barrel...

their web site should cover that with pics...

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've noticed that they're cheaper on their site. I'll have to look at their "hollowing" options. I'd like to see pics of either color. Thanks seafire

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Boyd's only cuts out some wood inside the barrel channel. You could drill some holes into buttstock then chip out the web between them. Also you can drill quite deeply into the center of the grip and glue a thin cap into the hole. I used my lathe to cut a slightly tapered plug. Glued it in place then sanded it off flush with outside.
The stock lost 7 oz of material.

You could also use a flip flop as a recoil pad.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4244205/Flip_flop_recoil_pad_seeking_a

Last edited by Azshooter; 12/13/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It isn't a blued rifle but here is my Boyds stock wiht an Interarms Mark X action and a Kreiger stainless barrel. 6.5-06AI.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Coyote Hunter. What does it weigh ready to hunt? Do you have a weight of the stock? How do you like it? Ever wish you had gone synthetic?

Looks great by the way!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have dozens of Boyd's stocks. Used to be Remington 700 deluxe came with them. That is still my favorite Boyd stock. The grey is called pepper by Boyd and it is by far their favorite laminate. The stocks are incredibly strong. You could buy it direct. I think the black laminate (as I call it) is the nicest, pepper on the Boyd listings......You can get that two ways, matte finish or glossy, I think both are very nice! I have not altered the weight on mine. Too hollowed a stock and you get a sound box effect.....Kimber is an example, some find that very irritating. Classic, Pararie Hunter, etc. are pretty long stocks. For example a Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow stock stock is shorter and lighter than the Boyd stock. REALIZE I base this on many Boyd's versus manufacturer stocks. That usually fit very well, you might want to make you you get the floating etc., of your barrel. I know Macmillan stocks too, but Boyd's have been the way I went. I am very fussy about rifle stocks as I own a wood working industry. I do feel Boyd's needs to make more lightweight featherweight style stocks with as little extra weight as possible! By the way I think the pepper (grey) laminate looks and works great on stainless barrel and actions as well as blued.In terms of spooking wildlife with non camouflage or blacked out rifles.....I used to be a wildlife biologist and think there is very little real proof of that effect. I do know that a Boyd grey laminate and stainless rig is the harder for me to find after I lay it down while hunting if there is any snow at all!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
TI will send some Boyd stock photos on rifles! Can't right this minute as they are too big volume shots to send via the Internt!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Boyd Jon Sundra Classic laminated nutmeg sporter, with stained tung oil/urethane finish. I don't see the Sundra pattern currently being offered. I didn't lighten this stock and with the #3 26" Krieger it's over 9 pounds all up with Z5 scope. It's a half MOA Pre-64 6.5-284, pillared, glassed, free floated and torqued.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by philgood80
Thank you Coyote Hunter. What does it weigh ready to hunt? Do you have a weight of the stock? How do you like it? Ever wish you had gone synthetic?

Looks great by the way!

No idea. Too heavy for long carries while elk hunting, not so much for antelope. The weight helps tame recoil, making ot a favorite for my daughters to shoot.

No.

I like it a lot. The grip is a bit fat but no other complaints.

No.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're going to swap to a laminated stock on a Remington 700, I would go with the 700 CDL or 700 LSS-MR stocks in lieu of any of the Boyds patterns.

I have several Boyds laminated stocks on barreled actions where there weren't any other easy options; Interarms Mark X, Marlin X guns, and Ruger RAR-Ps.

Richards Microfit are an option that requires a lot of work and Wenig is an option that costs a lot of money.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you're going to swap to a laminated stock on a Remington 700, I would go with the 700 CDL or 700 LSS-MR stocks in lieu of any of the Boyds patterns.

I have several Boyds laminated stocks on barreled actions where there weren't any other easy options; Interarms Mark X, Marlin X guns, and Ruger RAR-Ps.

Richards Microfit are an option that requires a lot of work and Wenig is an option that costs a lot of money.

Yep, a bunch of work.

Boyd is almost drop in, very clean inletting, probably CNC.

The Roberts I've had, inletting looked like a drunk beaver chewed it out... shocked

Very rough, requiring a bunch more work than a Boyd. On one Mauser stock, the bottom metal inlet was a half inch longer than the bottom metal. I have a good bit of experience with wood work, but it's a challenge to patch one like that so it doesn't look patched...

I've ordered my last Roberts.

Wenig is good stuff, but as stated, not cheap.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
here is a boyd's thumb hole on my Ruger 77 #5 Whelen.

[Linked Image]

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the pics and input. I'm up in the air at this point. I know a 24" Model 700 will never be a featherweight without some serious dough being spent (which I currently don't have), but I can keep it at "hunting" weight and help it shoot for sure. Thinking a Boyd's may be on the menu after a Timney.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The pepper makes a great looking stock. I think prairie hunter is the last 2 models I bought. I hate Boyds website. I wish they would show more and better detailed pics of the stocks to compare side by side differences.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, their website isn't the best.

To me, the gray looks best with SS, nutmeg with blue.

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Yeah, their website isn't the best.

To me, the gray looks best with SS, nutmeg with blue.

DF

My thoughts exactly. Played around on the er shaw website and the Mark VII builder and those are my favorite combos!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Does anybody know why the nutmeg is $30 more?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hamrick
Does anybody know why the nutmeg is $30 more?

On the Boyd's site, the laminated stocks are $15, $16.50, or $22 more than the standard grade walnut, depending on the color ordered. The Nutmeg color is a $15 premium.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Boyd Jon Sundra Classic laminated nutmeg sporter, with stained tung oil/urethane finish. I don't see the Sundra pattern currently being offered. I didn't lighten this stock and with the #3 26" Krieger it's over 9 pounds all up with Z5 scope. It's a half MOA Pre-64 6.5-284, pillared, glassed, free floated and torqued.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow...thats a great looking rig!!!

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 45 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,137
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.