Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing much unusual here... except that Homeland Security was the source of the information that the guy had guns. Now.. I'm just at a loss to see how Homeland Security would be involved in something like this rather than the FBI. Maybe because he was a federal employee? Nah.. still seems like it should have been the FBI checking into him if there was a tip from the psychiatrist or hospital that he was an imminent danger to others or himself.

Odd.

The tinfoil under the hat was a nice touch, tho.

http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_29229293/firearms-seized-after-homeland-security-alert

Tewksbury police seized firearms and hundreds of rounds of ammunition from an IRS employee's home after Roland C. Moore, who was wearing tinfoil on his head when he was arrested, appeared on Homeland Security's radar due to possible mental-health issues.

In Lowell District Court on Wednesday, Moore, 46, of 8 Tanager Road, Tewksbury, was released on personal recognizance after pleading not guilty to four counts of possession of a firearm without a firearms identification card and failure to surrender firearms.

As part of his release, Judge Thomas Brennan ordered Moore to surrender any firearms or ammunition, not to possess any dangerous weapons and comply with his mental-health treatment.

Tewksbury police allege in court documents that Inspector Edmund Jacobs of Homeland Security contacted Tewksbury police on Wednesday about a follow-up investigation of Moore, an IRS employee who was recently evaluated for mental-health issues, according to court documents.

Moore met recently with IRS officials and a psychiatrist with the Employee Assistant Program to discuss his mental-health issues. During the meeting, Moore admitted to having firearms in his home. He was transported to the hospital for further evaluation.

Homeland Security checked on the status of Moore's firearms license and found that he had at least three firearms registered to him, but his license had been suspended by the Mansfield Police Chief after Moore was deemed to be an "unsuitable person."

The suspension of his license was due to his arrest on Jan. 16, 2009, for an open case of assault in Lowell District Court, according to Tewksbury police. Moore was instructed as part of that case to surrender his firearms license, firearms and ammunition.

As Moore left his home on Wednesday, Tewksbury police approached him about his gun license. Moore, who was wearing a piece of tinfoil on his head under his cap, appeared agitated by police. Moore admitted to having weapons in his house, but said it was his "natural right" to have guns to protect his home. He denied police access to his home unless they had a search warrant.

After obtaining a search warrant at 7 p.m., Tewksbury police searched the home and found a Savage rifle in the bedroom closet. Three handguns -- two loaded Smith and Wesson .44-caliber handguns, a Mitchell .22-caliber handgun -- were recovered along with a large amount of ammunition.

Two of the guns recovered were not listed as registered to Moore. A .22-caliber Beretta that was registered to Moore was not recovered. The investigation is ongoing, according to police.

Moore is scheduled for a Jan. 29 pretrial conference.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
WTF is a "Firearms Identification Card" sounds like some yankee-democrat scheme..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Two of the guns recovered were not listed as registered to Moore. A .22-caliber Beretta that was registered to Moore was not recovered. The investigation is ongoing, according to police.

Wow. Gun registration.

That's peculiar

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
WTF is a "Firearms Identification Card" sounds like some yankee-democrat scheme..
Massachusetts.

So.. yeah, you were right.

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/18/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Two of the guns recovered were not listed as registered to Moore. A .22-caliber Beretta that was registered to Moore was not recovered. The investigation is ongoing, according to police."

Registered with whom?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While agree that nut cases shouldn't have access to firearms, I think it needs to go through a pretty good due process to get them.

Otherwise, we'll all be on a "list" at some point.

The article is also proof that registration leads to confiscation.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Massachusetts.

So.. yeah, you were right.

Gee, where's Kamo-Gari when you need him to tell us gun ownership is not a problem in Mass?..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If we don't have gun registration, why do I read so many news articles about those horrible unregistered guns? That should apply to ALL of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Never heard of such a thing.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
While agree that nut cases shouldn't have access to firearms, I think it needs to go through a pretty good due process to get them.

Sounded like he was already under a court order to turn in his firearms after the assault charge.

IC B3

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/tin-man-in-gun-arrest-628934

Apparently Moore met with an employer related psychiatrist. During the course of that meeting, Treasure inspectors were brought in and Moore told them he had guns at home. Treasury agents apparently contacted Homeland Security (still, why DHS and not FBI or MA state cops?) and Homeland Security was able to pull up the Mass. gun registry list and Moore's Mass. firearm permit.

It's the involvement of Homeland Security that confuses me. Though it's also interesting to see that DHS have full access to state firearm databases.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
More and more we see federal involvement with no jurisdiction, or made up jurisdiction.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's the involvement of Homeland Security that confuses me.

The guy is a test case domestic terrorist.

He shrink wrapped his gun.

Psychiatrist thought that was weird.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/tin-man-in-gun-arrest-628934

Apparently Moore met with an employer related psychiatrist. During the course of that meeting, Treasure inspectors were brought in and Moore told them he had guns at home. Treasury agents apparently contacted Homeland Security (still, why DHS and not FBI or MA state cops?) and Homeland Security was able to pull up the Mass. gun registry list and Moore's Mass. firearm permit.

It's the involvement of Homeland Security that confuses me. Though it's also interesting to see that DHS have full access to state firearm databases.

I think with the DHS involvement, it may be perceived to fall under the (all encompassing) umbrella of the patriot act. In other words, kiss your constitutional rights goodbye....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A tin foil umbrella is not to be trifled with. Very effective. I just don't wear mine in the house, that would be stupid.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
A tin foil umbrella is not to be trifled with. Very effective. I just don't wear mine in the house, that would be stupid.

Tinfoil hats don't work very well. Now armadillo helmets thats a different story......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please show where the 2nd Amendment says anything a bout nut cases?

If a person is sane enough to be on the street running free, they should have all their rights.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am afraid Homeland Security is turning into our version of the Gestapo, or Cheka.
Won't be long before we hear "your papers, please"

Sam......

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by k20350
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Tinfoil hats don't work very well. Now armadillo helmets thats a different story......

Precisely!!! They are organic!!!

Keep it green!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
These Firearm Owners Identification Cards seem to be of 'State' origin not 'Federal' and serving no useful purpose.

> http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wium/files/201401/foid-card.jpg <

CAUTION: This card does not permit bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms.
This does not authorize the carrying of a concealed weapon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,570
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.