Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
...I can't tell you how much I wish I had done this 15 years ago...

Matt--I completely understand. Though, today, you'd still be facing the problem of upgrading that 15-year old camera.

Over that same 15 year period I have tried many times to buy a digital camera I liked. The first one I bought I resold to a friend the same day, realizing it just wasn't for me. One I bought used, on c/l, catastrophically failed within months. Another new one I traded to another friend after taking just 2 or 3 photos; just couldn't get comfortable with it. The controls on all of them baffled me, with their endless menus.

A few years ago I tried again, picking up an obsolete, but near mint, Nikon D200, which would accept all my film camera lenses, albeit at 2/3 of full frame. This one I've kept, though never really connecting to it; just using it for internet photos, not my artistic photographic endeavors. What I really wanted was camera that would accept all my lenses, but that would have mostly analog primary controls, like all my film cameras.

Still trying to fulfill my need for a pocket-sized point and shoot, digital camera, like to take fishing, last month I began again searching in earnest for just about what you're looking for. After pretty much deciding between a couple of them, my renewed searching accidentally led me to discover that Nikon had, 2 years before, introduced the Df, a digital camera of roughly the same compact size as my beloved old film cameras, with analog primary controls, that would accept all my lenses, and had a full frame sensor!

I found a good deal on a mint used one. And there went my budget (and then some) for the point and shoot for which I had been searching. crazy

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I used a Kodak Retina 2A folding compact 35mm for years when I worked in Montana and Idaho in the early '60's. A great camera and rugged too!. It fell from an airplane and landed on the drop spot and survived! OK, I know it isn't digital, but it is (and still is) rugged and it is my favorite camera.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Matt, again, a G16 is NOT in the same league as the Sony RX's... the only Canon that is is the G7X.

Panasonic does not make a P&S comparable quality-wise to either the Canon G7X or Sony RX's.

Order online... Cameraland or B&H. Don't pick up the phone, use the internet. It's that simple.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
pal,
I may have had to struggle through the years with upgrading my digital camera, however, my point was that I would have the pictures, aka memories recorded on paper, which is more than worth any misery related to the ownership and maintenance of a digital camera. Pictures that are impossible to replicate today at any cost...

You know I think THAT is about the best argument for buying whatever the hell you want, within reason, and taking as many pictures of the "good" times as humanly possible. I can think of a thousand situations where I would have loved to have had a first class pocket camera and this thread has really brought that realization home. It was my mistake for canceling the first order though Brad's advice was as solid as a rock. Chasing technology and even optics can be an expensive and fruitless task... That said I would have never missed the $1300 I had set aside for the original order and i would have been learning to use the camera by now. At the present I am waiting on a grey market "deal" that has to be sent back and I'm still likely to buy a III or IV from a reputable dealer.

I actually called Doug at Cameraland to begin with and I was humorously told he was as ignorant about digital cameras as I was... Sad situation but nice not to row alone;-). At any rate the guy they forwarded me to spent five minutes trying to sell me on an Olympus HARD... The problem, at least for me, was that camera was about halfway between a pocket camera and a DSLR. This is NOT the direction I wanted to go in... As I tried to convey to him I wanted an advanced point and shoot that will fit in shirt or coat pocket. I further explained if I had to carry a DSLR, like my second proposed trip to Yellowstone, I would go with a full frame sensor Canon DSLR and a couple, at a minimum, Canon L Series "primes". Granted the second option would include taking a photography class and that was not what I was looking for at the moment. I explained I had owned and used a Canon EOS Rebel(early film version) that was about to die(a Christmas gift when I was about 12) and a early Fujifilm Digital that came with a hated Gateway Computer that was purchased while I was away at school in 2001. While not a pro, or even advanced amateur, this was not to be my first rodeo... Feeling like I had gotten my point across I waited and the guy reiterated his recommendation for the Olympus. I thanked him, largely for ignoring my requests, and decided to move on...

I do believe I am going to buy from Crutchfield. They are based in Virginia and have one day delivery to any spot in the state. I will have to pay tax, however, I will also have 60 days to make up my mind, pack up the camera and ship it back for another, and start again... You also have a lifetime of expert phone support for free. Dunno what that is worth, however, talking you through a problem cannot be completely ignored...

I would also like the thank everyone who took the time to comment on this thread. Your input is been greatly appreciated whether or not I go with the camera you suggested or not realize I did look at it seriously...

Merry Christmas Gentlemen...

Regards, Matt Garrett

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Matt, again, a G16 is NOT in the same league as the Sony RX's... the only Canon that is is the G7X.

Panasonic does not make a P&S comparable quality-wise to either the Canon G7X or Sony RX's.

Order online... Cameraland or B&H. Don't pick up the phone, use the internet. It's that simple.

Brad,
I read you. I will be going Sony RX100 of one flavor or another... Just as I intended to buy from my earliest research and talking to the guys at Crutchfield... They are no more expensive than the discount houses, are based in Virginia, and have one day shipping. Not to mention 60 days to use and return the camera in like new condition for a refund or replacement until you find the one you like...

Appreciate the input...

Regards, Matt.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm far too late to opine on this, so I'll just say this:

Matt, the camera you have IN YOUR HAND when "the moment" comes is the best camera there is. The camera in the catalog isn't.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which was part of my original point when I stated that neither of the P&S digital cameras I have right now (one of which has been my primary pocket camera for around a decade) cost anywhere near $1000. The old one’s a Canon and the new one’s a Nikon, both with tiny sensors, but they have taken thousands of photos that have been published in many magazines, including a few 2-page spread. While the tiny sensors don’t produce the detail a studio photographer would want for a BIG print, they do fine for magazine work when paired with my Canon DSLR.

Most importantly, however, when I’m out there working, their straps are ALWAYS around my neck and the cameras in the right-hand pocket of my shirt, so they can be jerked out and used when a quick opportunity arises, whether while out hunting or in camp.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I have been using a G15 for several years and it has been great.

Just don't use it out in the rain for very long because it is a royal bitch to disassemble and dry out.

I picked up a G15 a couple years back. Its been a great camera for me as well.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
You only live once: screw the price ceiling and get a Leica Q.

That said, as a former USN photographer I've got a little different standard than most for what constitutes an acceptable camera. That said, with a pretty expensive, pretty capable Nikon SLR in the bag I find I take most of my pix with my cell phone these days.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
Your collective points are not lost on me. Though I fear you would not bet on that statement of fact...;-).

Regards, Matt.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
While the tiny sensors don’t produce the detail a studio photographer would want for a BIG print, they do fine for magazine work when paired with my Canon DSLR.

This truth is lost on many. More megapixels comes with, uh, difficulties, of their own.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Larger sensors and more megapixels are two separate issues.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
The "grey market" RX100 III arrived and I could not help taking it out of the box to get a general feel for the camera. A few observations in no particular order...

1. Made in China.
2. So small that I find it difficult to hold on to...
3. Super Solid build quality...
4. Tiny buttons and to many of them...
5. Just about nothing in the box to help you on your way.

Can't say this is a platform I want to invest in right this second... No doubt it screams well built AND feature overload. I have relatively small hands and this thing makes me feel like I am going to drop it short of a death grip. Tiny... Dunno.

Regards, Matt.

fwiw, Slowly growing on me...

Last edited by Matt in Virginia; 12/16/15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Matt, many use an additional grip for the RX's... there are several available. Grey Market cameras generally have no instruction booklet or CD.. the USA warranty version has both included.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1061077-REG/sony_ag_r2_attachment_grip_for.html

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_rx100

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Excellent reviews here:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use nothing but Nikon Cameras

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad,
I've thanked everyone collectively a couple of times for their input and I sincerely meant it, however, I would like to thank you individually once again for actually replying with a link or two to address every issue I have mentioned as significant... In short much obliged once again.

Regards, Matt Garrett

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
You would never believe it. I happened to be looking at a Leica Q online and my Mother stopping by and asked if "that" was the digital camera I was going to buy. I said "Not hardly, though I would love to have it.". She responded with "Why don't you buy it if you want it?"... I said "because it is $4200 plus..." She said "Merry Christmas my Dear Boy" I doubt I am going to spend the $4600 on a Leica Q, however, it was one hell of a nice Christmas Surprise...

Merry Christmas Gentlemen!

Regards, Matt

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your mom gave you a Leica Q for Christmas? shocked Ask her how she feels about adopting a Vietnam vet in his second childhood. smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
pal,
When it came time to be receive mothers I got brushed down the back with a golden brush and I am not talking about Christmas Presents... I'm actually thinking of using it to buy a new Mark Penrod .30-06' that I've had my eye on as of late. Then I'll buy a camera...

No $4250 digital wonders for me...

Regards, Matt Garrett.

fwiw, the Penrod Model 70 in .30-06' has been SOLD for "some time". Would it be asking to much to indicate that on your website?

Last edited by Matt in Virginia; 12/18/15.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.