-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now and then while beholding the Tasco Mag IV 6x24x40 (Japan) that's rested atop my Douglass-barreled 25-06 since the early 80s, I get to thinking it needs replaced with something far more useful and expensive.

Then it occurs to me that it has served me well all these years, continues to do so and the notion fades away.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I can't wait to see the build thread.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GregW
Can also screw in some hooks on the stock to hang a butt out tool and cough silencer on...

Im wiping the coffee off my monitor right now...

I remember a nice .257 Roberts I had that started giving rather large groups at 100 yds. I used wipe out to make sure the it wasnt copper fouled, checked the bedding, different loads, etc. Finally put a Trashco 3-9 that felt like it had sand in the power ring on it and wall-la, back to the 1" rifle it was before. Original scope was a VXII, Im not a turret turner, more of an Elmer Fudd type.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did the same thing when a Burris Signature shots large groups. A Tasco put the next five into .312" at 100 yards.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nuffin good gonna come from this positive Trashco talk. Demons will be unleashed.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I would run the kwick site see thoughs anyway. You may be able to store your butt out tool in there right under your scope if it will fit. If not a baby ruth for lunch should fit nicely.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know, Tascos always worked just fine for me... I don't have the best eyesight, so the Tasco worked just fine...

they are always pissed on by the scope snob crowd... but the ones I've had have always done what I asked of them.... and yeah, if you kept away from the cheapest ones, you never had a problem... and if ya did, it was backed up or it was financially easy to replace...the except was the old $25 or $30 4 Powers.. they had clear glass to me and the darn things held up even under the recoil of some real kickers..

I've had as good of service life from Tascos as I have had from Leupolds or any other brand......

can't say that for Simmons and a host of others... Barska and BSA are the crap scopes on the market...

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Very true....I've had some on some hard kickers too. Had one on a crossman 2100 back in 1978 and sometimes I'd give that thing 25-30 pumps. Never had an issue with that scope. You could hit a can at 15 paces all day long til the day I traded it for a baseball glove.

Ozarker,
Tried the baby Ruth, no go...profile was too big. I had to shave the sides of it down a little to make it fit. I found that a cheese grater worked good for this. Thanks for the tip. As far as the butt out tool, I think it's easier to mount it to the barrel where it seems to act the same as a harmonic balancer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A couple years ago, I needed a scope for my muzzle loader. A buddy had one of the 4x Japanese Tascos. I gave him what he paid for it at a gun show and put it on my rifle. It is a great little scope and has helped put a bunch of deer in the freezer.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use several different brands of scopes - not simply that which is handy at the moment, but that which seems to do the best work for the purpose. More than one of these is a Tasco (mostly World Class although do use some older Jap made models).

Of course, I have experienced ridicule for using the Tascos - even from a fellow looking down at a 6x6 bull elk I had just downed at 300 yards and from another fellow using a VERY expensive rifle/stock/scope combo I had just topped in a little contest. I am not a great shooter, but I work at it and am not stupid.

It always tickles me to see ridiculing comments from guys who worship at the throne of brands and expensive equipment rather than consistent excellent perfromance. Some Tascos are dependable and very good shooters. Many high dollar scopes are not.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a Ruger tang safety ultralight .308 from a pawnshop that was closing down back in 1995. The gun was immaculate and I suspect was only fired when it was sighted in. Only thing it needed was new glass as it had a 3-9X40 Pronghorn on it.
Since it wasn't going to be my primary whitetail rifle at the time, I was in no real hurry to change it. Shot it a few times to check cold bore zero and it was dead on.
Well, long story short, that Pronghorn stayed on the gun for 18 years and NEVER lost zero and accounted for more than it's share of bucks.
I finally swapped it out for a Vari-X III 2.5-8 that came off a rifle that I was selling but would trust it on any gun I own.

John

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CCCC
I use several different brands of scopes - not simply that which is handy at the moment, but that which seems to do the best work for the purpose. More than one of these is a Tasco (mostly World Class although do use some older Jap made models).

Of course, I have experienced ridicule for using the Tascos - even from a fellow looking down at a 6x6 bull elk I had just downed at 300 yards and from another fellow using a VERY expensive rifle/stock/scope combo I had just topped in a little contest. I am not a great shooter, but I work at it and am not stupid.

It always tickles me to see ridiculing comments from guys who worship at the throne of brands and expensive equipment rather than consistent excellent perfromance. Some Tascos are dependable and very good shooters. Many high dollar scopes are not.

I agree, but generally believe that a cheap scope is not a good investment to be taken on an expensive hunt somewhere. I have had cheap scopes that were garbage and I have also had more expensive ones that went back for repairs. It is a crap shoot.

I think that rifles are the same way. I enjoy seeing pics or real nice rifles, but there are darn few that shoot better than my Rem SPS, my plain old Savage with a Criterion barrel, or my new Ruger American. Even expensive customs can give you fits at times.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sbhooper - I agree with your views. Then again, I've never had to worry about an "expensive" hunt as such, for never have used an outfitter, or even a guide. Mostly I hunt alone - and some added expense did accrue in those years when I bought an out of state tag and had to drive some distance - like Colorado, Montama and Idaho. But, I always take two backup rifles and a spare scope.

In 55 years of hunting, only once have I needed to use a backup of any sort (for an afternoon). A nice fellow found me walking on a two-track and gave me a ride to my camp - then drove off with my rifle on the rear seat. He brought it back that evening.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I used to have a Tasco world class 3x9x40 on my 270 for years. Killed dumptruck full of deer coyotes bobcats groundhogs and one crop raiding ram with it. some longs shots too. the world class models were solid scopes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put a new Bushnell Banner 4x12x40 (Jap) on a used M700 back around 1978.

Later sold the rifle to a friend's teenybopper son. Daddy insisted Jr toss the POS Bushnell and put a Leupie on there. Some years later when they were in Idaho, dad's VXII expired (done fogged up) at some point during the horseback ride. Daddy had to use the guide's rifle to kill his muley.

Meanwhile atop a high ridge, Jr told his dad that he could damn near see clear to Oregon thru the POS Bushnell that remained on my former M700.

Bought the rifle back some years ago. Still has the Banner on it, still shoots were it's supposed to shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Better than a pos luepy

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
UH Oh....better hold on this is gonna be a bumpy ride.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sadly, I have had better luck with Tasco in the past than Leupold. The only reason Leupold became popular is they were the first scopes that had generous eye relief. They always sucked getting them sighted in because the windage and elevation controls have always been a crap shoot though. "Set it and forget it" should be gospel for Leupold owners.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Deflave, izzat you?........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm not ready to trade off my leupolds but I hae had good luck with Tascos in the past. Saying that most were fixed power Japanese models.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,607
Posts18,511,602
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.