Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I can't even figure out how you could get that look if you shot for it.

It was a perfect storm...crap framing, low grade sheathing, GIGO

Then they expect the poor worker who is on the roof to somehow fix that.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
looks like total Schit!!

burnt up crispy thin decking, and no doubt several warped rafters. Wonder if that was uncertified (barn cut green lumber) when originally framed.

additionally, I have roofed for 15 years in the mid south, never seen shingles with what appears to be 8" exposure. They also don't look like they are staggering the drip line to shed water flow.

but who knows yall do some crazy chit out there with the way you roof. I have seen a western stagger on 3" drip lines out west, that crap would never fly over here where we get 40+ inches of rainfall every year

oh well good luck

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
my bunch of mexicans last year came in quick, at the start of a big snowstorm. said they were doing me a favor, and they were; it was one of those contractors who will try to add extras padding the bill. he didn't show up, I got 5 sheets of plywood replaced, 3 vents I did not need, upgraded shingles, all at no cost. Insurance and the company traded insults for a while, then it was paid. The company tried to charge a separate fee for installation over the per square cost, also had down something like 1000' of drip edge for a 750 square foot home. OTH, the contracdtor did talk the crooked insurance estimator into admitting that the roof did need replaced, we had been turned down previously by the same guy they fly in.

Last edited by kennyd; 12/21/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Originally Posted by 4ager
Hispanics?

Originally Posted by Alamosa

Ya. I've never seen a roofing crew around here that spoke english.
I don't think this is on the crew though.

What I've seen around these parts in Hispanic crews is a bunch of very hard working guys that do very good work.

I guess all the good ones head to Iowa for the very fresh corn tortillas.
Around here there is a bunch of hard working Hispanic guys that do very mediocre work.
Hard to get what you want with the communication barrier.
But then if you go with the lowest bid.....

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

I'm steamed about it because I told the guy it needed decking at least 3 times.

Incompetent/crooked contractors are everywhere. You need to ride herd on the sonsabitches, and be ready to fire them on a moment's notice.

I've learned that the best way to keep a contractor honest is to not put any money in his pocket up front. If he says he needs money to buy materials up front, then go to the building supply store yourself and buy the materials and have them delivered to YOU, not him.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Incompetent/crooked contractors are everywhere. You need to ride herd on the sonsabitches, and be ready to fire them on a moment's notice.

I've learned that the best way to keep a contractor honest is to not put any money in his pocket up front. If he says he needs money to buy materials up front, then go to the building supply store yourself and buy the materials and have them delivered to YOU, not him.

I must be a crooked contractor. I rarely work on any project over $2K w/o at least 1/3 down. I figure all parties involved need to have skin in the game.
My bad customer alarm would be screaming if I found someone that refused a deposit.

LOL
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Originally Posted by 4ager
Hispanics?

Ya. I've never seen a roofing crew around here that spoke english.
I don't think this is on the crew though.

What I've seen around these parts in Hispanic crews is a bunch of very hard working guys that do very good work.

I have a roofing contractor client that requires a urine test to get hired. Only Hispanics apply. It seems all of the white roofer have MJ or Meth in their urine.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I must be a crooked contractor. I rarely work on any project over $2K w/o at least 1/3 down. I figure all parties involved need to have skin in the game.
My bad customer alarm would be screaming if I found someone that refused a deposit.

In this situation no one knew the condition of the decking beforehand, but I had serious suspicions. That is why I brought up the topic with them early and often.

An odd development happened just this morning. The insurance adjuster says he was checking his 'before' photos and the sagging between trusses can hardly be seen.

If I had put a deposit down on this job I'd have been angry that the work didn't begin for 3 months. As it was I was more relaxed about the start date.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see lots of things should have been done better, from my perspective as a contractor, by all parties.

LOL
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Well, I guess you and me are in no danger of ever doing business.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a licensed general contractor for 30 years, I don't see whether or not there was a deposit as the issue.
As soon as the shoddy work was discovered there should have been a stop work order. No contractor is going to continue work knowing future and final payments are in jeopardy.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by poboy
When I was framing, some cheap-a$$ builder had us
putting 3\8 plywood on 24"center trusses. Me and my
partner (cro magnons) had trouble not bustin' thru the roof.

This is even worse than that. I'm not sure they used sheating. That is horrible.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No sheets on top is the only explanation for the sagging.

LOL
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, indeed.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
bwahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!
you paid for that chit????
and knew it wasn't being done right while watching it being done the entire time.............
you got a big cock sticking outta your forehead now!!!! specially since everyone on the world wide web sees how you have no spine and how easily you can be manipulated and taken

Working for dad in office supply
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I have never paid for a new roof till said roof was finished. I have paid for all the materials and had them delivered to me, but the work wasn't paid for until complete.

In fact, everything I can think of that I've had done was done that way.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by VOUScrasher
bwahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!
and knew it wasn't being done right while watching it being done the entire time.............
you got a big cock sticking outta your forehead now!!!! specially since everyone on the world wide web sees how you have no spine and how easily you can be manipulated and taken

Wow

Going straight to jerk after 34 posts.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I never turned down any homeowner that wanted extras. Used to have to twist people's arm on new decking. They always cried because they were mostly cheap ass realtors or broke as fugg soldiers in my area.

if you needed decking, we usually had an agreement before the first rake of shingles was ripped off. It was not a hard decision. I would often try to get the homeowner on the roof to walk it with me. Unless it was a 'cape cod' lol

but decking would almost double the cost of the job for sure

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I have never paid for a new roof till said roof was finished. I have paid for all the materials and had them delivered to me, but the work wasn't paid for until complete.

In fact, everything I can think of that I've had done was done that way.

Always good business for everyone involved to be in "cooperation". Short version, I accomplish this by asking for 1/3 down to schedule work, another 1/3 part way through but only if the job is long and protracted with large expenses, and finally the last 1/3 when the customer is well informed of the work done and is happy with everything. The customer will either be holding 2/3 or 1/3 of the payment until all is well on the home front.

Everybody seems very happy with this program. Of course, I work very hard to give the best work I know how, and as you know Scott, I tend to overtalk things, so I educate my customers as we go along, which helps them understand what exactly I'm doing and what they're getting. I really enjoy helping people feel ok with the work, because I know how stressful it can be to hire folks to work at your place. I really view life as we're all in this together, so let's cooperate and help each other.

If you want to have problems, don't communicate well. Guaranteed issues waiting to happen.

I figure if the customer doesn't want to pony up a 1/3 deposit for work costing thousands or tens of thousands of dollars, they don't trust the contractor. I would never want to work for someone that doesn't trust me, nor would I want that for them.

LOL
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by VOUScrasher
bwahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

Wow

Going straight to jerk after 34 posts.

It started long before #34.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 17CalFan, 16penny, 1Longbow, 42 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,983
Posts18,499,748
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.