Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 16bore
But 1# of rifle is hardly enough to worry over...

It is if a weekends worth of living is loaded on your back.

Travis

That's a half Nalgene bottle of water or a good schit. Flask of hooch instead of beer if you must....

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That's a half Nalgene bottle of water or a good schit. Flask of hooch instead of beer if you must....

Not all backpackers maintain your level of incredible conditioning. Some seem to think one pound on a single piece of gear is significant.

Great advice on taking a schit. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm about to walk up a hill.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Half rack weighs 9lbs....

Flask weighs about a pound....

If you're looking to save weight.... and pack a week's worth of relax..... we can get that done for a couple of Grams here in CO....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
For those that were wondering...

Factory EW Handle:

[Linked Image]

McMillan Hunters/Compact Edge (with bedding):

[Linked Image]

4.8 oz difference.

Factory EW Bottom Metal:

[Linked Image]

PT&G Aluminum Bottom Metal:

[Linked Image]

1.4 oz difference.

Factory EW Follower:

[Linked Image]

USRAC Graphite Follower:

[Linked Image]

.9 oz difference.

SO, Total difference between factory and aftermarket is 7.1 oz's.

To be fair, had I bedded the factory EW stock like the McMillan it would have added at least .2 oz's making the difference between those two at least 5 oz's.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Has anyone here ever tried a series of cold bore, first shots,with their light vs heavy rifles, from various field positions,and watched where they go as opposed to shooting "groups" in a series of three or whatever?

Yes. We use milk jugs.

To the 400 there is no difference. For me.

Travis

I essentially agree, out to 400 yards in controlled conditions, it's doubtful there's much difference.

Ditch the bipod, run stairs til' you're heaving, get some adrenaline going, and do it at 8,000' elevation, and I contend you'll see a difference.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Brad

Ditch the bipod, run stairs til' you're heaving, get some adrenaline going, and do it at 8,000' elevation, and I contend you'll see a difference.

On a Saturday? No thanks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Jeff O

The 84m kimbers are in fact too light for some applications.

The problem is they are so addictive to carry that I wind up with mine in my hands more than I should.

My sentiments exactly.

That's why I have both... a lightweight and a midweight.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by timl
Finally, someone besides me who likes silver/stainless bases and rings on a stainless rifle...nice!

Yeah, to me the silver rings look like an extension of the actual receiver, wrapping the scope visually to the rest of the rifle. Black rings make it look like the scope is floating on top of the rifle.

Personal preference, and I've done it both ways.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not all backpackers maintain your level of incredible conditioning. Some seem to think one pound on a single piece of gear is significant.

Great advice on taking a schit. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm about to walk up a hill.

Dave

Make sure you're uphill from anyone else. Should test an old adage, take pics!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
As to an additional pound not making a difference on a backpack hunt, I've absolutely found it does. Course the difference between my two 308's is 1lb 5oz's.

A rifle isn't carried on one's pack like all the other gear is. It's a "dynamic" load, ie., it gets slung, carried in the hand(s), cradled, etc... 6.5lb's of rifle is not experienced the same way 6.5lbs nestled in a pack is.

And besides, ounces make pounds, and pounds make misery. Take care of the ounces, the pounds take care of themselves.

This years pack out... a pound doesn't matter. Like hell it doesn't grin :

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed. Anyone who has lumped a pack or tree stand that weighs 2 more pounds than the other guy will start bitching sooner!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
As to an additional pound not making a difference on a backpack hunt, I've absolutely found it does. Course the difference between my two 308's is 1lb 5oz's.

A rifle isn't carried on one's pack like all the other gear is. It's a "dynamic" load, ie., it gets slung, carried in the hand(s), cradled, etc... 6.5lb's of rifle is not experienced the same way 6.5lbs nestled in a pack is.

And besides, ounces make pounds, and pounds make misery. Take care of the ounces, the pounds take care of themselves.

This years pack out... a pound doesn't matter. Like hell it doesn't grin :

[Linked Image]

Brad, what do you do with all your Elk antlers? Awesome stuff. Thanks for these last few threads. If on;y I were right handed. :-)

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Very informative Brad. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
But 1# of rifle is hardly enough to worry over...

It is if a weekends worth of living is loaded on your back.

Travis

Yeah man...... Six cases of Bud Light can weigh you down... thank god for 6lb rifles.

Bud Light? Yuck. sick If it can't be Guinness, tear up that BFF application that went out in the mail this morning.

Last edited by 1Deernut; 12/24/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I definitely agree that a pound makes a big difference. Lugging chit up and steep in the thin air definitely makes a difference for me. The older I get the more a pound seems to weigh.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Half rack weighs 9lbs....

Flask weighs about a pound....

If you're looking to save weight.... and pack a week's worth of relax..... we can get that done for a couple of Grams here in CO....

Couple GRAMS? Yowsa! The rastafari backpack hunt <g>.

A couple grams of modern high grade product equates to, I dunno, a KEG of beer. Ish.

In a fit of democracy, we joined the Free World last year and now have that legal backpacking buzz option ourselves in Oregon. The Horror.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Brad, what do you do with all your Elk antlers?

Man, they're stuffed everywhere. I gave away all the 5pt and smaller stuff. Garage walls are full, the rest are in the crawl space.

They're becoming a problem grin

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Brad, what do you do with all your Elk antlers?

Man, they're stuffed everywhere. I gave away all the 5pt and smaller stuff. Garage walls are full, the rest are in the crawl space.

They're becoming a problem grin

Laughing. I bet they are!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad...you could shoot smaller bulls for weight savings also...lol

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Ha 7-08f beat me to it.

Good write-up Brad this is helpful.

I hope y'all have a Merry Christmas!!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 22 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,765
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.