Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi All,

Years ago I asked a question about old time remedies, what folks did before the widespread use of antibiotics.

One answer was that parents painted the throats of kids with iodine.

One member I highly respect here suggested that I make sure I'm not sensitive to iodine should I be inclined to try this, so I began by using iodine water purification tablets, then straight iodine to purify the water.

Since a lot of the time iodine tincture is made with wood alcohol, I've been wary of this practice.

Recently I found "Lugol's Solution". It's not a name brand. Rather, it's a type of solution, not a tincture, and can be had in many different brands.

The ingredients on this one are distilled water, 94%, potassium iodide, 4%, and iodine, 2%.

I've had a sore throat for a few days, so I took the opportunity to use this stuff to paint my tonsils. Just a drop on a Q-Tip on each tonsil, nothing radical. I guess we'll see what happens. An hour later I'm not experiencing any reactions, so I'm hopeful.

Will report back any delayed side effects, as well as the ultimate results.

Regards,

Josh

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've heard that doctors do exactly that before sex change operations as it changes Y chromosomes into X's. cry

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've heard that doctors do exactly that before sex change operations as it changes Y chromosomes into X's. cry

Uh-oh......I hope he don't catch the gay!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Mom always painted mine with Mercurichrome or Merthiolate. Saved the Tinc. of Iodine for cuts.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

Thus far, there's been a large reduction in swollen neck glands associated with this, and pain went away immediately. I also swabbed the uvula just now as my soft palate hurt, and there was almost immediate pain relief.

I was reading OR studies in which the patients were instructed to swab their noses with iodine pre-op. There was a huge reduction in post-op infections, including staph.

This is weird.

Regards,

Josh

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Mom always painted mine with Mercurichrome or Merthiolate. Saved the Tinc. of Iodine for cuts.
Just like my Grandmother Mac, who was the sage of home remedies--which she dispensed without mercy. She also pulled teeth with her fingers which were like miniature vise-grips. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using hydrogen peroxide like that for a long time. Either full strength on a swab or watered down and used as a gargle.

I also occasionally use a sinus rinse, and have resorted to putting a couple of drops of peroxide in with that solution.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

laugh laugh LMAO

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lugols is good stuff. You can get it fairly reasonable on Amazon

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Had my tonsils removed when I was 3 and 1/2 years old. In 1963

I can just barely remeber it, because I got ice cream in the hospital, afterwards.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As the old expression regarding antibiotics goes...

You'll be better in a week with the antibiotic or 7 days without

Pharyngitis is usually viral of some sort, just gotta outlive it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update: Some pain is back, but it's only the deeper pain. There is no surface pain as is normally associated with a sore throat, and to locate the source, I tried a benzocaine lozenge. It didn't help, so it's deeper in the tissue, possibly viral, as David said.

I'll give it 24 hours and then repeat the dose.

Regards,

Josh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I remember our old family doc Christopher Longaker using a fairly long iodine soaked cotton swab on a stick to coat my tonsils when I was just a little kid. He prescribed some penicylin (sp?) as an anti-biotic.

Must have worked OK because I'm still here at 73.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
buy good whiskey

take a shot

gargle

swirl it around in your mouth

swallow

enjoy (as opposed to the harsh chemicals in your throat) smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
buy good whiskey

take a shot

gargle

swirl it around in your mouth

swallow

enjoy (as opposed to the harsh chemicals in your throat) smile

Oh, I keep Scotch around.

Regards,

Josh

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I repeated using 5 drops in a mouthful of water. I gargled for 60 seconds and spat. We'll see.

The first time this looks bad, I'm going to the doc for antibiotics. Still, I'd like this to work, and it seems like it wants to. Lots of the old techniques are forgotten, as are doses etc.

Regards,

Josh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the germs are under the skin, the iodine can't reach them. The antibiotics can.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Fever?

1st thing to check.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
If it starts as a sore throat and progresses to where every muscle and joint in your body begins to ache, you can strongly suspect a strep infection. And if so, antibiotics are strongly advised.

Speaking of old time remedies: My folks, grandfolks, aunts, and uncles were strong believers in a bread and milk poultice.

If one had a laceraration or any kind of festered sore, it was covered with a piece of homemade bread soaked in raw whole milk. Then it was covered with celophane and taped securely with wite adhesive tape so nothing could leak out.

This "bandage" was left in place for 48 to 72 hours. OMG did that mess stink when it was opened.

I am surprised that I, my siblings and cousins, 24 in all, survived to reach adulthood.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by johnw
I've been using hydrogen peroxide like that for a long time. Either full strength on a swab or watered down and used as a gargle.

I also occasionally use a sinus rinse, and have resorted to putting a couple of drops of peroxide in with that solution.

I think you mean full 3% drug store stuff, right? You'd have to be pretty darn tough to handle straight H2O2. grin

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,264
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.