Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

The Rem 700 action is just fine for a big 33. You can add a different extractor if you wish; i.e., a Sako or AR type as well as a 3-pos safety; twink or add an after market trigger; "true" the barreled action. You can also go to PGT and get a one-piece bolt with a tactical knob for ergo's if you want. The 700 is probably one of the most practical solutions. Get a quality barrel at your twist and have at it.

This is not rocket science.

I'd also add an external bolt release positioned aft of the standard factory bolt stop position, and a Wyatt extra long mag box. Personally I prefer the McM Rem Hunter stock for a build like this, HS doesn't impress me.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would suggest a 9.375 to a 9.5 for the 300 grain Bergers. My personal Lapua has a 9.375 5 groove 30" long. It gets 2960 with RL33. It's on a Tac 338 single shot action. Very rigid and it shows on paper.

An aftermarket action doesn't change anything barrel wise if you don't want to. Depending on the action it will fit right into the 700 inlet. On the barrel I would measure the diameter of the lug if the action has one and make the shank the same size. I like as much support around the bigger cases as possible. 1.250 looks better than a 1.200" to me. If the lug is big enough even a 1.300" gives a lot of meat around the chamber and a nice big shoulder to tighten up against. Everything is geared towards making the barrel to action fit as solid as possible.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is a new trigger with a roller search. I think it's called trigger tech. They are so new they won't start shipping till January. The cost is only $85. I let you know how it works next month

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trigger Tech has been sending out triggers for months. The next shipment will be sent out in January. And the price has gone up, IIRC. But they are worth it. I like them much better than a standard Timney, and about on par with Shilen.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jordan, tried the Timney Calvin Elite? That's what's on the Lite. Love it.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My 7mm wby load with 195's stays sonic to 2200 yards here,11.1 MOA of drift @ 10mph

My 338LM load with 300gr Bergers stays sonic to...2200 yards,11.3 MOA in the same wind.

And currently the Timney Calvin is my favorite trigger.

Last edited by rosco1; 12/24/15.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My buddy gave me a heads-up on it, and I'm very glad he did. I tried a couple Jewell's and didn't like them. Too much movement before they break. Really like the Timney CE. Mine is set at 1.5 lbs.

HiredGun- thanks. I'll ask Pac-Nor what twists they'll do.

I'm thinking a Holland brake. Anyone got a take on that?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,wear ear protection when shooting the rifle.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Of the last three Timneys I purchased three failed! The first two failed by not catching the firing pin so I could not fire the rifle. The next would not allow me to get the safety to work. Finally after a few minutes I got it to work, but when the moment of truth came and I was actually trying to kill a deer it also would not fire. After three or four times of lifting the bolt and squeezing the trigger it fired.

Maybe Timney and I will be like Burris and me. The customer service lady at Burris said, "You must be getting every reject we ever made."

The fellow at Trigger tech told me the roller trigger for the Remington is new and they have not shipped them before. At least that is what I understood him say.

Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mine is a PacNor. Ask about my Straight Shooter #1 profile. I've used it on 6.5 up to .338. I't got an extra long shank to allow for a couple set backs if you want.

IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ringman, that's me and Jewell I suspect. One of my two simply had creep you could SEE much less feel, and it just could not be adjusted out via screw or springs. The other one was better but I could still feel it moving before the seat released. Drove me batty. My favorite hunting trigger is the Kimber set real light, and the Timney CE is comparably clean and crisp...

HiredGun, I'll ask them about that. How fast does say an EDGE toast the throat? 1000 rounds? Have you had good luck setting back and re-chambering?

This is gonna be fun. I really enjoyed building the .223AI and 7 WSM, once I got the tooling all made and sorted out.

Sounds like I better try me some 195 Bergers in the WSM in the meantime. smile

Thanks a bunch, guys. And Merry Christmas.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It should be stated Timney treated me very well. The first two were on the same rifle and were replaced. The new one is waiting for the rifle to return from Twisted Barrel and then salt bath nitrided before it is put back in service. The third one I sold and purchased the Trigger Tech.

The more astute reader sees I can't play with either of my toys at this time. cry

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Ringman, that's me and Jewell I suspect. One of my two simply had creep you could SEE much less feel, and it just could not be adjusted out via screw or springs. The other one was better but I could still feel it moving before the seat released. Drove me batty. My favorite hunting trigger is the Kimber set real light, and the Timney CE is comparably clean and crisp...

HiredGun, I'll ask them about that. How fast does say an EDGE toast the throat? 1000 rounds? Have you had good luck setting back and re-chambering?

This is gonna be fun. I really enjoyed building the .223AI and 7 WSM, once I got the tooling all made and sorted out.

Buddy of mine keeps his EDGE at our range, anyone can shoot it if they wish.it has 1200 thru it and still shoots great..300gr SMK at around 2800 is its load..

Dont get shot much anymore..easy to match the performance for less..and steel plates ring just as well with half the payload.

But dont let me talk you out of it.

Last edited by rosco1; 12/24/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I went 338RUM. 300gr Nosler custom comps. Very accurate. I bought a couple hundred brass 4 years ago when I first got the notion, a little tougher to find now.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've never set one back for myself but if you are determined to get 1000 accurate rounds out of an Edge as a repeater it might be important.

I think the 195's are a good idea if you can stabilize them. If you want to go really long and break some rocks or trash some gongs give me a ring some time.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by jwp475
[quote=jwp475][quote=elkhunternm]Why not a .338-378 K-T.

Yeah,I know it won't fit in a Remington 700,.532" vs. .590". But,damn it'll be something very different.

And Quality Cartridge even makes the brass. You will have to wait for it though,not exactly a bunch of .338-378 K.T.'s out there.

First off the rim size is the same as a 338 Lapua and I have a 338 Lapua built on a 700 action. The case capacity is close to the same. I also have seen 30/378' built on a 700 action. [/quote

338-378 is a recipe for disaster in a 700. Seen action stretch and bolts come apart on that combo

Only if over loaded and or built incorrectly. I've seem the full length 338/378 work just fine in a 700 action.

When Rem marketed the M-700 in 338 Lapua they tested to 100,000 psi. But people overload wildcats and shoot a lot of ammo through them and then blame the action.

The Rum and Lapua duplicated 338/378 Kt ballistics in available cases.

I seen alot of 700 action with streched received and bolts locked up due to blown primers. There not enough meat on the bolt head after opening it up to .580, or .588 for the LM. I used BAT action for my 338-378 nd 338 Lapua mag

A Mauser has no meat around the case head and none is needed.

Again the work must be performed correctly and since Remington has marketed and sold the 338 Lapua which has the same case head that rather prove the 700 is adequate by Remington's calculations.

[/quote

Yes but with a Mauser you don't have a barrel bolt counter bore that gives a chance for the thin metal on the bolt head to jam the action. Had seen this many times.

Your full of more crap than a Christmas turkey. I guess I should have checked with you before I built mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I ran 1500 rounds through a 700 chambered in 7.82 Warbird. Now that 700 is chambered 30-338 Lapua AI. As far as my own use, the Lapua case in a 700 doesn't cause me concern. With that said, I would still recommend the 338 Edge, or 338 RUM. Less hassle, brass can be found, and a greater safety margin for those that need it.
My 338 Edge wears a Broughton 10 twist, 5 groove, 30" and a Ross Schuler brake. I have been pushing 300 gr SMKs, at 2850 fps, with H1000 since it was put together, and I have no need to change. I haven't seen any advantage to going faster than 10 twist, but there really isn't a downside to 9.7, 9.5 or 9.3. I'm expecting to see 2K rounds without the need for a rebarrel.

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Good grief,if and when you ever shoot the throat and barrel out,just re-barrel. Rifle barrel companies make barrels everyday.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
it will be collecting dust after the first 100 rounds anyway.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
True.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,475
Posts18,529,535
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.