Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Ringman, that's me and Jewell I suspect. One of my two simply had creep you could SEE much less feel, and it just could not be adjusted out via screw or springs. The other one was better but I could still feel it moving before the seat released. Drove me batty. My favorite hunting trigger is the Kimber set real light, and the Timney CE is comparably clean and crisp...

HiredGun, I'll ask them about that. How fast does say an EDGE toast the throat? 1000 rounds? Have you had good luck setting back and re-chambering?

This is gonna be fun. I really enjoyed building the .223AI and 7 WSM, once I got the tooling all made and sorted out.

Sounds like I better try me some 195 Bergers in the WSM in the meantime. smile

Thanks a bunch, guys. And Merry Christmas.
Good grief,if and when you ever shoot the throat and barrel out,just re-barrel. Rifle barrel companies make barrels everyday.

True, but a 338 Lapua, Edge, or Rum al have very close case capacity and if the barrel is not over heated will give excellent barrel life. My gunsmith checked the throat in mine after 500 or so rounds and he thought it still looked brand new. But I donot over heat the barrel when shooting.

With a good brake recoil is nothing.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Here's an oryx I killed with a .338 A-Square and the Hannibal rifle. The rifle weighed 11 lbs as is in the pic. Took it elk hunting once. The scope is a Leupold 3.5-10x.

IIRC the load was 121 grs of AA-8700,250 gr NP,CCI 250 primer for a velocity of 3120 fps from a 26" barrel.

[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of an cow elk I killed with my .338 RUM. Used a 210 gr NP at 3180 fps. Scope is a Leupold 3x-9x.

The shot was between 75-100 yds away.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ringman, that's me and Jewell I suspect. One of my two simply had creep you could SEE much less feel, and it just could not be adjusted out via screw or springs. The other one was better but I could still feel it moving before the seat released. Drove me batty. My favorite hunting trigger is the Kimber set real light, and the Timney CE is comparably clean and crisp...

HiredGun, I'll ask them about that. How fast does say an EDGE toast the throat? 1000 rounds? Have you had good luck setting back and re-chambering?

This is gonna be fun. I really enjoyed building the .223AI and 7 WSM, once I got the tooling all made and sorted out.

Sounds like I better try me some 195 Bergers in the WSM in the meantime. smile

Thanks a bunch, guys. And Merry Christmas.
Good grief,if and when you ever shoot the throat and barrel out,just re-barrel. Rifle barrel companies make barrels everyday.

True, but a 338 Lapua, Edge, or Rum al have very close case capacity and if the barrel is not over heated will give excellent barrel life. My gunsmith checked the throat in mine after 500 or so rounds and he thought it still looked brand new. But I donot over heat the barrel when shooting.

With a good brake recoil is nothing.

That could be said for any cartridge. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I use the 300 grain SMK in my 338 Lapua in Lapua brass ahead of 92 grains of H-1000 lit by Federal 215M primers for 2800 FPS out of my Rem 700 action shot in a Rock Creek 5R cut riffled barrel 1 in 10 twist.
I went with the Lapua because of the quality of Lapua brass and the basil ability of quality match grade factory ammo.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I like the 210/250 Nosler Partition for the elk and such. As the area I hunt 200+ yd shot is not likely.

Right now,I load the 250 gr NP in the RUM,it's only going 2865 fps and it's a wee bit more accurate than the 210 gr NP I used on the cow elk in the pic above. Could get more fps,then the recoil become unbearable. Matter of fact,did get 3000 fps from a 250 gr Sierra,I felt like a punching bag for a heavy-weight boxer.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nice. cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

No I haven't tried the Calvin yet, which is why I specified the standard Timney in my comparison wink I hear great things about the CE, but around here they're double the cost of the TT, and that's a hard pill to swallow considering how well the TT works.

And regarding the muzzle brake, here: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

Design of the JEC looks very similar to my Ross Schuler brake. I'd look up Ross.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess the TT triggers I've used and seen for sale in the local classifieds were imaginary?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Jeff,

No I haven't tried the Calvin yet, which is why I specified the standard Timney in my comparison wink I hear great things about the CE, but around here they're double the cost of the TT, and that's a hard pill to swallow considering how well the TT works.

And regarding the muzzle brake, here: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

Design of the JEC looks very similar to my Ross Schuler brake. I'd look up Ross.

Hard to beat a Shilen trigger in a model 700, unless one wants a trigger adjusted to ounces.

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Jeff look at the Vais brake, turn it down to match your barrel and your all set!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Jeff look at the Vais brake, turn it down to match your barrel and your all set!

When I built my .338 Ultra I had a custom barrel contour speced out so that the muzzle diameter matched the O.D. of a Vias brake.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Forget the Vais brake if you ever plan on shooting from the prone position. Ask me how I know!

Shooting prone requires a brake without ports on the bottom, unless you like crap blow all over you and your scope. I made that mistake just once with a 300 Rum and a Vais brake.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok, Vais gets checked out for sure. I've always been anti-brake, being of the mindset that I didn't need no stinkin' fire breathing magnum that required a brake..... haha.... so I don't know much about them. I was thinking Holland just to keep it local but whatever is "best"... I do know I will be shooting it from prone primarily so whatever I get needs to vent up and sideways but not down.

(Total side note: one RUM action donor candidate locally is a consignment 300 RUM LSS that's been Magna-Port'ed. If I went that route I'd at least shoot the damn thing on the off chance it had the kind of accuracy I need for this rifle.... being bought as a donor would GREATLY increase those odds, of course <g>.... so my question is, how well does Magna-Porting work? To be clear, the Big .33 is getting a BRAKE.)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You will want a side-discharge brake.

Unless this appeals to you,

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
how well does Magna-Porting work?

I have never been too impressed with magna-porting, it does have a good effect on muzzle rise but not near the recoil reduction of a good brake. the worst thing is that it is cut into the lands and grooves of the barrel

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Holland Brake will work. For long range prone shooting a side port brake is the way to go with no ports on the bottom or top for that matter. A big 338 with a good brake will make accuracy much easier. If you run a long barrel (I went with 30") the exit pressure will be reduced and noise level will be greatly reduced.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have a NIB HS Precision in 375 RUM. Great platform for making a long-range monster.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Biebs
Have a NIB HS Precision in 375 RUM. Great platform for making a long-range monster.

375 Rum with a 350 SMK would be a great heavy hitting long range rig.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
You will want a side-discharge brake.

Unless this appeals to you,

[Linked Image]

Hey Shane! Merry Christmas.

I'm all about shooting out in the BLM clearcuts from prone rather than off a bench at a range, so yeah, a brake that did that would be a disaster.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,741
Posts18,514,499
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.