Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I need to see if Mule Deer has done a review of the optics here..

For those who don't know about them, they are a Tasco made scope that SWFA has a sole source contract with.. And they track well, but are much lower priced than companies tracking scopes... So the question is how's the optical quality vs. say a Leupold VX3

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have owned and used both a 3x9 SS and a VX3; would rate the SS glass on par with the VX3; YMMV. Wish the SS had AO; it had a certain amount of parallax I could not get rid of or I would have kept it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think it's incorrect to say they are made by Tasco. They USED to be. Don't think that's the case anymore.

They now have an "HD" lineup that costs more and is definitely made by someone else than their regular line. So, OP, you'll need to be more specific with your question. That said, I'm interested in the results of the thread as well.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only the name " Super Sniper " was bought by SWFA. Manufacture has nothing to do with Tasco. Classic and HD's are made by two different companies altogether.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The fixed power SS scopes I've looked through were not on par with a VX-3 for clarity & brightness

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 3-9 HD for Christmas and I am not too impressed with the optical clarity. I only looked at it briefly, but I think the glass is on par with a Weaver T24. I think it may end up in the classifieds before I mount it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostman
The fixed power SS scopes I've looked through were not on par with a VX-3 for clarity & brightness

Either is the 3-9. No way it is any where close to a VX3 to my eyes.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have several older Leupolds and one VX2 and the SS is not close. Plus the SS is a very heavy scope. At least the 3x9 I had was so I sold it.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you buy a SS scope because of the mechanical reliability. I say don't worry about the glass. Frankly if a scope has elite 3200 quality optics and adjustments as good as nightforce I would buy it all day long.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Mechanical function is vastly more important than "glass", and those who use their stuff know this.

The 3-9x SS is absolutely on par with a VX2 optically. Have seen several dozen, have had them side by side, have measured them in direct comparison. Most can not tell the difference between the VX3's.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never felt wanting with mine - even well past sane shooting hours.

Me

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have a ss 3x15, and a 3x9 hd. The glass is very good in both. They are clear and let you see long into the dusk. I compared them to my vari x ii on deer at well past shooting light and could tell no difference in brightness, or clarity. Buy with confidence.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Mechanical function is vastly more important than "glass", and those who use their stuff know this.

The 3-9x SS is absolutely on par with a VX2 optically. Have seen several dozen, have had them side by side, have measured them in direct comparison. Most can not tell the difference between the VX3's.

Ditto. I've sat with my 6X SS until lights out at the range. The optics are on par with a VX3 to my eyes.Actually I think it's better than my 2.5-8 Leupolds. That's right up until sane shooting ends

I find it clearer and sharper at 600 yards than my 6x36.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
So.. If they aren't made by Tasco, it would be interesting if they are made the same way - sounds like they track well so maybe they are...

Glass is and isn't important... Depends on the guy using it...

If you spin it's probably less.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not a glass geek, but to me te SWFA are optically on par with the Leupold MK4's I sold off.

I'd say the SWFA scopes are kind of like the Glock of the optics world. Functional, durable, and well priced.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Cross-eyed STUPID Fhuqkers that must guess...assuredly will. Congratulations?!?

The Fixed Fhuqkers smoke EVERYTHING Reupold V2 and V3 in optical splendor,if only for starters. Hint.

Though in fairness and as has been mentioned prior,the "view" is but a small piece of the puzzle and amongst the least that bear fruit. Re-hint.

You Drooling Dumbfhuqks and your never fhuqking ending Cluelessness,are a fhuqking hoot! Wow +P+! Few things funnier,than a herd of Turd Polishing Dumbfhuqks,waxing eloquent on their Dumbfhuqkery...by simply doing their "best".

A used Fixed Fhuqker will hang with a NIB Reupold Mk4's optical "splendor" and then some. Hint.

Pardon my having them all and then some. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If only for starters.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
splendid assortment of optical splendor.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Personally I've never owned a SS, I looked through a couple at the range and they ones I saw were less than impressive, but I'm starting to wonder if the owners just didn't bother cleaning then ... Who knows.

Looking at SWFA's site the HD SS's cost just as much as Leupolds do, but half of what a NXS / ATACS costs....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Someone here said the HD's aren't made in the same place. Are they the same mechanical quality as the standard SWFA SS scopes?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tasco never MADE anything... they were strictly a marketing company, and had manufacturing of their lines farmed out to a multitude of companies...

as far as optic quality.. I can only speak on the one example I picked up... a 12x... bought it on the basis of Schtick always talking them up... and got a thumbs up from Montana Marine on them...

optical quality to me is if I can see out of them... a bunch of big buck scopes from a multitude of manufacturers, I can't see out of worth a damned... its not that I question their "optical quality"... its just I don't have perfect eye sight....

I was always able to see out of a Tasco it seemed....the Super Sniper I have, I can see better out of it than similar Leupold.....

I can definitely see thru mine, better than a Nightforce and a high end Zeiss a gentleman had at the range... wanting to look at mine, and let me compare thru his...

he drew the same conclusions and about Schitt when I told him what I paid for it...

proof is in the pudding... and you don't see a lot of guys bad mouthing them, contrary to a lot of other scopes...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 77 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,631
Posts18,533,232
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.