Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
fredIII Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I got to wondering why it would not work better than grease on my inline's breech plug and its nipple. The bottle I have says heat resistant to 2000* . I will just clean any extra off with carbon choke cleaner. Any experience pro or con will be greatly appreciated.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use it on my Winchester Apex. A little messy if you use to much but works well.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use it on my Knight kp1, have from the get go. As Whelenut said its a little messy, but get the job done!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
F
fredIII Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good to know what's the most shoots you take before clean in a day. sighting in testing bullets ect.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Anti seize is all I use on my T/C breech plugs and the screw in tubes on my shotguns. Works fine.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use Blu Moly on mine. Not worth taking a chance sticking a breech plug.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use the Knight anti-sieze on my Ultra-Lite, even though the BH209 people say it's not necessary. Why take a chance? Teflon tape might work as well. With BP and especially 777, NOT using it would just lead to heartache.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not ever having messed with an inline in my life (and not likely to ever do that), I can't speak to the practicality of using anti-sieze but it sure sounds like a good idea. On the side lock builds I have done I slathered the threads of breech plugs with anti-sieze even though it's unlikely they'll ever be removed, as much for the anti-corrosion aspect as anything else.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I went to the Dark Side when using irons in the woods got too iffy for me. Scoping most sidelocks is offensive to my gentle spirit. The opportunities I get these days are well within PRB range (bow range really), but the scope lets me aim without those pesky glasses. Actually, a good inline is probably a pretty fair general purpose hunting rifle for most of us in the East, especially in a place like MD, where it's legal just about everywhere.

I started using a ML in the '70s when I was hunting in Charles County and the other boys were using A5's with and without the Buck Special barrels for the most part. My .50 TC Hawken would outshoot most of the smoothbore slug guns- for one shot. Alas, I wasn't much of a deer hunter in those days and squandered what was probably my best chance at killing some really good bucks. Now I'm struggling just to make meat on WV public land.

Sorry for the highjack, OP.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I first got my TC Omega I used the Super Lube teflon grease that was recommended by TC but it doesn't work very well. Shooting 777 the breech plug would often require some extra effort to break the breach plug loose. Not good.

I switched to a light coating of grease on the threads and a couple of wraps of generic teflon tape and problem solved. The breech plug comes out as easy (same torque) as it goes in. I'm now shooting BH209 and even with 25 shots there's no problems unscrewing the breech plug.

I like and use anti-seize, for other applications, but it's messy. IMO, teflon tape and grease is easier to clean up than anti-sieze.

FWIW, I use a 16 gauge bronze brush to clean the barrel threads.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I am pretty much a newb on the MZ thing, but picked up a T/C Omega last year. I bought and use Gorrila Grease. No problems with this stuff.

F
fredIII Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am new to the muzzle loader as well. Killed elk with everything else and the itch has struck to use a muzzle loader.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
White lithium based grease works very well. The Teflon tape also works well but I dob a touch of grease on top of it just for insurance. Anti-seize is definitely messy and spreads all over the place. The grease is much more controllable and easy to clean.

WHUT?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have used anti seize for years without any problems,so do not see a need to change. I think this falls under the "there's more than one way to skin a cat" doctrine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using the same 1/2 ounce tube of anti seize for 20 years. I only use a smidge. To remove the plug I always start brushing the barrel with soapy water first. That breaks most of the black powder fouling holding the plug in place. Same said for the vent liner in a flintlock, still very hard to remove with anti seize unless you soak in soapy water first. Then it is a breeze.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I use the Knight anti-sieze on my Ultra-Lite, even though the BH209 people say it's not necessary. Why take a chance? Teflon tape might work as well. With BP and especially 777, NOT using it would just lead to heartache.

The tape will work perfectly on that rifle.

I don't use anti-sieze on any BPs as I have not found it necessary. I guess it can't hurt and obviously people are doing it with no isues. I will agree, its messier to clean up.
I use either tape or breechplug grease - depending on the rifle. I have shot over 50 shots with a greased breech plug in one of my MK-85's using pyrodex. The plug came right out. Have not shot that many with T7, odds are you would need to re-grease about half that many to avoid an issue.

I do put a tiny dab of anti-sieze on my ventliner in my BP. Probably wouldn't hurt on a nipple, but I've never done it.

Last edited by WV_Hunter1; 12/29/15.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Have used anti seize for years without any problems,so do not see a need to change. I think this falls under the "there's more than one way to skin a cat" doctrine.

You bet! smile I never thought the tape would work as good as it does.

Last edited by WV_Hunter1; 12/29/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use Gorilla Grease also in my Omega and Firehawk. I've gone at least 30 shots in a range session when trying different loads or adjusting sights before cleaning. No problems removing the plug. I think it's more the time it sits dirty than the number of shots fired that causes plugs to seize.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Yes, yez, yes on the anti seize! Been using it since I started with the muzzleloader about ten years ago. Never had a problem at all. Only problem I ever had was forgetting to put it back on the breach plug once because I was talking to my buddy and my head went up my azz. I shot a few more shots to confirm a zero. Went to take that plug out and thought I was gonna bust a gut until if finally came loose and I realized what I did. Glad there was still some residue there or I may have had a real problem. Never ever did that again. Also, use it on all my choke tubes as well.

F
fredIII Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just applied a light coat over the threads of the nipple and the breech plug. Thanks to all that have responded.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 33 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,089
Posts18,501,838
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.