Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MountainMariner
Everything was built already. No foundation issues because the cabin was anchored to the rock it's built on. The roof is cabled to the rock also. Taxes are $500.00 a year. Getting hurt would be an issue. Big issue if away from the cabin. I always carry first aid in my pack and have a decent sized kit in the cabin and lake box. I've had some pretty decent first aid training over the years and still need to keep my certification current, does me no good if I'm unconscious though. Spot Gen3 tracker goes with me all the time.

Stunning property. Is that the one that was listed on Landinalaska about 6 years ago?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
MountainMariner, thanks for the insights in your life. Really enjoyed the video of your helicopter rides and the aerial view of your place. Glad you have internet otherwise we wouldn't get to drool over your remote living, thanks.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Montivigant
MM,
Do you have a Plan B shelter should your cabin be damaged by snow/fire? I see a chimney in one of your out buildings. Also seen some in similar isolation have an insulated tent with a wood stove as an insurance policy.

Thanks again for sharing some pixels & prose.

The old rules of leaving cabins open - "just replenish the wood you use" have gone by the wayside. Anyone who matters knows where to find the key - or it can be found if you look a bit. Other than that, in respect for the sometimes need for emergency shelter (or in case we lose our main structure/shelter, we leave our log sauna unlocked. It has a wood stove, generator, extra gas inside in case anyone needs such provision.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

You have good taste in whiskey. I can't imagine you pairing it up with a cheap cigar.

What that resting on the ashtray?

BTW, I'm mostly an AJ Fernandez fan, but I have yet to find a CAO that I don't like. Also just getting into some of the Drew Estate.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm not real certain but around the time frame that photo was taken I had mostly RP Edge, La Perla Habana Black Pearls and some Gurkha Beauty's.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MM,
Thanks for sharing this. I just last night,half jokingly, told my wife that I thought we should move up there and live off the grid. She said there'd be no internet. I said there'd also be not mail delivery! How do you deal with the solar charging system in the winter? I run a solar generator down here and the winter 's short days really strain the system. Your days are presumably much shorter. Is the sheet metal/coil stock on your building's water tables to prevent porcupines from eating the T111. They love the glue.

Beautiful pics. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You got it. The sheet metal is to keep the porcupine off my wood. The short days in the winter do take a toll on the batteries but I use very little power. Just recharge my devices. No lights or any other use. It's my next project is to upgrade the solar system. I also have the generator if needed.

Last edited by MountainMariner; 01/03/16.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
MM,
I've been reading this thread and I'm curious about your lifestyle.

What do you do for income? Trap?
Have a wife out there?
Nearest neighbors?

Thanks in advance.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm a mariner who currently works on an icebreaker. I don't trap at all. My nearest neighbor is a trapper and he has been there for 30 years. He's only out there in the winter. His place is a half mile away. The next nearest neighbor is 4.5 miles away. No wife, I'm divorced, but I am accepting applications for girlfriend. The only other cabin in sight is about 20 miles away and I have to crank the spotter up to 60 x to see it on a clear day. Only two lights are visible at night, the airfield beacon 13 miles away and the cell tower light.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'm guessing that you have a ship-board work schedule that allows for blocks of time at your retreat?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not real certain but around the time frame that photo was taken I had mostly RP Edge, La Perla Habana Black Pearls and some Gurkha Beauty's.

Cool. I have samples of each in my own treasure chests.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Fresh Blueberry pancakes anyone?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Glassing the hills from my couch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1badf350, 1minute, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,167
Posts18,503,094
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.